Pachter: Blocking used games isn’t in Sony’s best interests

Wednesday, 28th March 2012 23:31 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Following rumours that Sony’s next console will block used games, industry analyst Michael Pachter has warned this could have dire repercussions for the platform.

The Wedbush Morgan analyst told GamesIndustry there are several reasons to doubt that Sony would make usch a decision.

“It isn’t really in Sony’s or Microsoft’s best interests to block used games,” he said.

“It would benefit Activision and EA slightly, and would hurt GameStop a great deal. If Sony unilaterally did this, I could see GameStop refusing to carry their console, and sales of the PS4 would therefore suffer.”

Pachter also noted that Microsoft and Nintendo would have to be onboard the scheme too.

“If one does it and the others don’t, the one who does it will see a loss of market share,” he said.

In typically entertaining Pachter style, he expressed his doubts that any of the three companies “are stupid enough to do this unilaterally” or “evil enough to do it together”.

Other analysts echoed Pachter’s sentiments that the used game market is under threat just yet.

Kotaku broke a rumour today that the next PlayStation is in development under the name Orbis.

[image]

1. Anders

I have a feeling that some gamers might object as well.

2. absolutezero

Why would Sony choose to interject in what is primarily a larger problem for the massive publishers?

Sure they produce first party games, but not all that many. The online pass thing does seem to have been adopted by Sony whole sale though. I dunno sounds like such a strange thing to do.

3. HighWindXIX

I dunno man, you can’t buy used games on Steam and that seems to be working out fairly well for Valve…

4. ejams

#3 To me, it seems a little different on steam though because they sell games extremely cheap (maybe not always, but on their occasional sales that they have every little while) and so it kind of makes up for it. When you’re buying it full price at retail it’s a different story. You might want to rent it, or borrow from a friend to see if it’s worth it, but with this you couldn’t. And on steam, you could most likely just get it super cheap and even if it was kind of shit, you wouldn’t feel as bad for buying it :) Just my two cents on the situation

5. Xiahou_Yuan

@3, I know that Steam isn’t perfect and all, but at least Valve tries to give the users some sort of good service out of their investment. At the very least they bother to show that they care, while the 3 giant consoles makers just keep giving no damn about gamers. Oh and steam prices are just more convenient.

I actually have never seen gamers so saddened by the news of “next gen” consoles before. I remember that people used to be jumping upon the news of coming next gen consoles. Not anymore ..

6. Yoshi

I thought it was rumoured Xbox was the used games hater? OMG all these bullshit rumours are getting annoying.

7. Anders

@5: I’m still feeling pretty good about my Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. I would love loading screen-eliminating SSDs, but I really don’t need better graphics.

I might feel different in ten years though.

8. DSB

It’s not all bad. The day Steam allows transfers between accounts is the day that every cyber criminal between Washington and Peking starts flooding every user with official looking spam mail.

And even if only one out of 100.000 are stupid enough to fall for it, that’s still tens of thousands of compromised accounts. It’s not only profitable for Valve and their vendors, but it certainly won’t help the overhead, or the service, to have to sort out thousands of accounts that people have given away unknowingly.

That’s an everyday thing for services like WoW.

9. Mystic Sage

They would be stupid not to have backwards compatibility with the PS3 games because then there really is no rush to get the new console. Why get it when you can’t play all the games you amassed from the previous console and there is only a handful of games on release.

On another note god I hope the PS4 does not look like the one in this pic that is just fugly lol.