Grasshopper looking at Shadows of the Damned 2

Thursday, 22nd March 2012 10:01 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Grasshopper is keen on a Shadows of the Damned sequel, with composter Akira Yamaoka telling Eurogamer he’d like to see a new installment.

“I’m thinking of a sequel, actually,” Yamaoka said at the London launch event for Sine Mora yesterday. “I can’t tell you here, but clearly I’d like to.”

EA Partners published the first game, and going by Yamaoka’s remarks, it could be up for a second.

“Probably,” he noted before adding, “Well, yes.”

Grasshopper and EA launched Shadows of the Damned to critical acclaim last summer and became a cult hit in the process, but essentially tanked at its release in terms of sales, meaning a sequel would effectively be a no go – at least, that was the general thought.

Grasshopper’s latest effort, Sine Mora, is out now on Xbox Live Arcade.

1. ManuOtaku

I hope this is true, i did like a lot Shadow of the damned, in my opinion is what resident evil five should have been, it is the spiritual succesor of resident evil 4, what a great game.

2. The_Red

Decent game but as a collaboration between Suda 51 and Mikami, it was really disappointing. Outside the awesome Johnson, it had a few nice moments (The “fucked up” level) and then nothing.

Hopefully IF they get to do the sequel, it can be much more than the first.

3. viralshag

I liked it.

@2, Agreed, Johnson was awesome.

4. Freek

The composer of the game is saying he’d like to do a sequel, the guy who made the music.
    A bitt of a stretch to atribute that desire to the entire studio.

5. YoungZer0

The score was the best thing about this mediocre game.

6. LOLshock94

this game was to disappointing because of the dark situations, boss fights were awesome though

7. absolutezero

The Darkness mechanic was what the entire thing was held togethor by.

SotD is hugely over-looked. I don’t really know what it is that put people off, maybe its the Suda thing of self referencing in every game, or dick jokes. I suppose the dick jokes do get a bit old right enough.

For once it seemed like a huge amount of thought had gone into the creation of the World in which the game takes place. The billboards, adverts, phone numbers and environments. Each had a purpose and the story behind it. Great game sadly ignored.

Even the basics are done well, Mikami’s influence shines when you pop the head off a normal demon and he keeps wandering for a little while, the tightness of the controls aswell I think Mikami had a huge hand in.

I think GHM did themselves proud I would love to see another game, hopefully in the same mold as NMH 2. In which is just goes a bit crazy and even more over the top.

8. viralshag

@6, I didn’t get what you meant by the “dark situations” at first but thanks #7, that cleared it up and reminded me.

I thought the environments, enemies and boss fights were really well done. I would happily pick up the sequel.

9. The_Red

Actually, it was quite the opposite for me. The game didn’t feel Suda-ish enough for me. From the people behind true classics like Resident Evil 1 and Killer 7, the game was seriously tame. Sure, there was one or two crazy Johnson moments but outside that, it was GENERIC.

Even the world was boring compared to what Suda 51 has done before. I agree that some of the billboards and stuff like that added personality to the game (Plus the fairy tale / crazy story books before each boss were awesome) but really, is this what people from worlds of Killer 7, Resident Evil 1 and Silent Hill can do when they get together!?

10. osric90

1. Real-time cutscenes.
    2. New Game +
    3. WAY better graphics.
    4. EXTRAS, tons of it.
    5. Longer game.
    6. More characters and more depth.
    7. Go beyond, no hesitation nor censorship.
    8. Bigger scenarios.
    9. Include a little adventure to it (jumping, seeking for stuff…)
    10. Include covering system, shooting enemies.
    11. Improve the melee fighting.
    12. Same humor, but more, more, more…
    13. Emotional charge.
    14. Epic battles like in the first Serious Sam games.
    15. Epic cutscenes a la Resident Evil 4-5…
    16. Sexyness… LOTS OF IT.
    17. Overall quality to be top notch and not like a 2003 game.
    18. Don’t put a subtitle to it.
    19. Keep García and Johnson.
    20. Keep Paula and give her a good role to play.
    21. More customizable stuff…
    22. Great replay value.

Shadows of the Damned 2 will be awesome if that happens.