SimCity trailer shows off Glassbox Engine grunt

Tuesday, 20th March 2012 00:10 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The new SimCity is built on an engine which supports some of the most advanced simulation features the series has ever seen.

The demo shows how effects and animation are tied to simulation rules, and how terrain and features are generated from map layers, as well as discussing the movement of resources and agents.

It’s also likely to be many players first view of the game in action – but remember, we’re looking at placeholder graphics here.

SimCity was unveiled at GDC 2012 and is expected on PC in 2013, with other platforms – including browser and mobile clients – on the cards but unconfirmed.

1. TheWulf

That is… quite impressive.

Looks like they’re giving their all, here. And it’s been a while since I played a SimCity game. And Maxis have never really done wrong by me.

Quite optimistic about this.

2. Stardog

There are some alarm bells ringing.

It’s supports tens of thousands of agents. So is that the population limit? SC4 supported over a million.

It seems like everything’s downscaled. In the other trailer, they were claiming there were two “cities” even though they were very close to each other, but hopefully that was just the MP.

I hope they’re not just butchering it so they can interact with the next Sims game easily, such as being able to live inside any house in your SC5 city.

3. DSB

Too bad it’s gonna be used as Origin bait.

Also not sure I’d enjoy having to upgrade municipal buildings. The key to most good micro management games is all about not making them become “nano” management games once you reach a certain scale.

If I’m trying to make a new neighbourhood to boost my industrial profile while trying to ensure that my water isn’t being tainted, I really couldn’t care less how many towers I got on my firestation from 30 minutes ago.

4. jacobvandy

Not every citizen is an agent. And it seemed to me that not all agents are people, for example with delivering water and electricity; it’s not people carrying buckets or batteries, those agents are like little gremlins in the pipes or wires that simulate the flow, I guess.

5. The_Red

LOVE the look of it. Haven’t played a Maxis game since The Sims 2 but this could be the game that SimCity name deserves.

6. stimpy77

The sad thing is that 100% of the simulation features in this, such as the “agents”, I had thought were already in all the previous SimCity games.