Quantic Dream “open” to becoming first-party Sony studio

Friday, 9th March 2012 07:13 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Quantic Dream co-founder David Cage has said the studio is “open” to becoming a first-party studio under the Sony Worldwide Studios family.

“”We’re open to all options, but again, we’re not a studio driven by money,”Cage told IGN.

“It’s an important element, of course, but it’s not like ‘Tell me how much money you give me and I’m going to do whatever you want.’

“But what matters to us is, ‘what is the project, what is the long-term vision, do we share common vision for the studio?’ We’re really passionate, it’s not just me, there’s a team behind me that’s incredibly talented and passionate about what we’re doing, what could be the vision for the studio. And if all this makes sense, then yeah, why not joint Sony or another partner. We’re open to all options.”

Cage reiterated its long-term future, however, was with Sony for now.

“We are exclusive to Sony right now, so no, we work only on PlayStation 3.”

Cage unveiled tech demo Kara at GDC this week, giving a glimpse as to what the French studio’s next project could be. We chatted with the developer about it and more here.

There’s video of the IGN interview below.

1. Erthazus

He pretty much confirmed that.

2. TD_Monstrous69

I once said 2 years ago that Sony was going to acquire Quantic Dream within the next 3 years. This tells me that the 2 sides are either really thinking about it intensely, or it’s already happened behind the scenes, and both sides are thinking of the right time to confirm it If Heavy Rain and KARA are indicators of what they can do with a PS3 being a 3rd party developer, imagine what they could do being a 1st party studio, as well as the talent they could possibly have pooled from? I mean come on, who wouldn’t be excited to see a collaboration between them and Santa Monica studios, or even Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, or Guerilla?

3. Gadzooks!

Cage’s brand of gameplay-lite pretentious QTE-ridden style-over-content tech demo shit is a perfect fit for Sony.

That rubbish wouldnt sell on other consoles anyway, so without Sony he’s totally boned.

4. Gurdil

I still haven’t played Heavy Rain cause I’m concerned I’ll get bored with all these QTEs. Is the story really compelling? Should I give it a try?

5. Razor

The overheads at this studio must be unreal.

6. mathare92

@4 Definitely give it a try man. It might take some time to acclimatize to the controls and for the characters to grow on you, but I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. There’s few (if any) games like it.

7. Gurdil

@6 Thanks, I’ll give it a try then. Well, once I finish ME3 obvioulsy :)

8. vodka-bull

@4 No, do yourself a favor and head straight back to gamestop to turn it in, it’s not worth your time.

9. Christopher Jack

@3, I can see why you were at constant odds with TEA, the only real difference between you is the banner you fly, you’re no better than a football hooligan.

10. Joe Musashi

@9 No way dude. He’s impartial and objective. You’re just some deluded hypocrite pseudo intellectual if you don’t see things his way.

JM

11. daytripper

One thing I am hoping for is a much better quality of writing and voice acting, some of the writing and performace in Heavy Rain was terrible.

12. Ge0force

For me, Heavy Rain is one of the best games of this generation. Buying Quantic Dream would be a great asset for Sony.

13. KL

@3 try to take out that 360 controller out of your ass once in a while,it really makes some damage in there
    on the other hand if Samara gets out of that “Well” we’re fucked…better stay put then

14. Dragon246

@3 AND 10, if you dont want a type of game then you can say that instead of bad-mouthing the game. There is nothing wrong with QTEs , its just another form of communication in games.
    @JM,
    “You’re just some deluded hypocrite pseudo intellectual if you don’t see things his way”
    Keep your bs to yourself.

D246

15. Gadzooks!

#14
    QTE’s are the weakest crutch for game designers. They cant create compelling gameplay, so they cop out by SHOWING you what you should be DOING, and allowing you to join in, in some insignificant way.

Its like hiring a hooker, but the hooker comes with her own dude and you have to hide in the closet and touch yourself while they go at it.

Its a weak concept employed by weak game designers to produce weak games.

16. Dragon246

@15, you have to also admit that video game hardware has not reached a level where it can completely mimic human actions and also give the user an accurate feedback for that.
    The example you gave is spot on ( not in a sarcastic way) , if video games become mature and developed enough to mimic actions like sex accurately and with proper feedback, I really think video games will become the most popular hobby in the world (I took sex as an example only as it includes complex movements and it requires revolutionary changes in video games to include such activities in games so that these games can invoke same human feelings in players which are comparable to real life).