NPD – Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning sold 300,000 units in US

Friday, 9th March 2012 16:30 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

NPD has said Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, which landed in the four spot on the February charts in the US, sold a total of 330,000 across PC, PS3, and Xbox 360. The figures don’t include regions outside the US, or sales through Steam and Origin. We’ll have to wait on EA to provide those figures. We’ll send a mail. Thanks, Joystiq.

1. Chris Evans

Decent numbers for a brand new IP. I’m sure EA would have been looking for more though.

2. mickey2002

I bet total sales for US with steam etc would be around 400k+ Just depends how well it did in Europe. I’ve enjoyed it so hope it sells more. Nice to play a big game ala skyrim but has some actual different gameplay (with some pretty colours too) bring on the decently fulled dlc =D

3. Phoenixblight

It is probably one of those slow cookers like Dead Space was.

4. TheWulf

That’s sad. That might actually encourage a sequel.

So much dross gets scooped up like the masses, while brilliant games fall by the wayside.

It shows that marketing matters more than having a good game. You could sell people shit ice cream (literally) if your marketing team was good enough to convince them that it was lovely and delicious. People are like that.

How disappointing. I was hoping that there wouldn’t be enough sales to justify more of this generic pastiche of a thing.

5. fearmonkey

@4 – sad for you maybe………. I think it’s more sad that every time this game is mentioned, you have to come out and bash it, with a 12 page post usually.

To others who have given the game a chance, I say GREAT!!!

I got the game as a rental from gamefly, and I’ve really enjoyed it. It’s not perfect, but It’s relaxing, has that MMO/Diablo fun of finding a new armor piece or weapon, has a ton to see and explore. The game’s demo was terrible compared to the actual game, the game really takes off after a few hours or you when u get out of the first town.

The game isn’t perfect, has some issues, but overall its a great game.
    I have played it for about 40 hours now, and still enjoying myself. Its a a great dish of s**t ice cream, best i have ever had in fact.

6. Fethennour

Good sales for a good game. Nothing to add.

7. ManuOtaku

Well iam glad they did that good,thats not so bad for a brand new IP.I do have high hopes for a sequel that will iron out some of the issues with the first game, and then make it a great tittle, it really deserves it.

8. Phoenixblight

@7 But its not good because Bulletstorm had done the same number and they called it a flop and they doubt there would be a sequel to the game because the numbers being so low.

9. ManuOtaku

#8 well i hope that will not be the case, because if theres two games that need a follow up, in a big time way, are bulletstorm and kingdoms, but i have to grant bulletstorm its the more in jeopardy of the two, because epic is not as forgiving as EA, i guess.

10. silkvg247

I got sick of KoA. I got to the 40 hour mark and had the last straw in a frustrating combat moment. I just HATE continous knockback, which happens on the big group pulls if you’re using daggers. It’s a big flaw in a game I otherwise was enjoying..

It happened one too many time where I’m sat there shouting “Will you just.. bloody..attack!” for a good 2 minutes, hearing nothing more than the “ouch” sound effects from my character who is stuck in a seemingly endless loop of getting tackled over and over by multiple mobs. So fine, dodge away right? As soona as the dodge finishes I’m struck again. And again, and then as I’m mid combat animation, AGAIN, cancelling the whole f***king attack!!

That in itself is annoying but then factor in they were bloody GREY mobs! There should always be a limit on knockdowns/knockbacks, and it shouldn’t happen at ALL with lower level grey mobs.

I also dislike the story, to the point where I just skip it. Airy fairy fae nonsense, yawnsome indeed. At no point in the first 40 horus have I felt the world is in danger, or I am in danger, or I have a purpose. Perhaps if the main storyline didn’t have 10 hours of filler quests between each stage, that wouldn’t happen.

It’s obviously worth a try though since I got 40 hours out of it. I don’t recommend daggers though, it’s frustrating trying to be a rogue in this game.