Volition inspired by Saints Row: The Third’s dildo bat

Thursday, 8th March 2012 22:29 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Saints Row: The Third’s most infamous weapon helped Volition overcome a serious case of developer’s block.

As reported by Gamasutra, Saints Row: The Third design director Scott Phillips said during a GDC presentation that Volition had lost its way with the game part way through development.

At one point, Saints Row: The Third was to be an undercover cop story, with the player making significant choices; the result didn’t feel like Saints Row, so Volition scrapped it. But while the developer had a handle on what Saints Row is not, it still wasn’t sure what it is.

Then the art team got a bit carried away with the dildo bat, and it all clicked into place.

“I feel like I’m playing something unlike anything else – we know what Saints Row is now,” Phillips remembered.

“Initially it was just one bullet-pointed weapon in one mission spec out of 30 mission specs. It wasn’t a big part of the game. But the artists went crazy with it and made something that was even crazier.”

Saints Row: The Third shipped for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 last year, and it’s pretty alright.

1. YoungZer0

You mean the same weapon we already had in San Andreas? Yes it wasn’t a bat, but it was a dildo.

2. DSB

I’d say a dildo bat is taking it up a notch. Doesn’t get close to the pussycat silencer in Postal 2 though.

3. TheWulf

I’m glad they took the direction they did.

It’s the most bizarre thing, ever.

It’s sociopathic and not at all hateful to any audience at all. How the fuck did they do that? I’m more irritated (and even slightly offended) by Skyrim on times than I am with Saints Row: The Third.

I want to say “Ah, it’s because my character is an arsehole. It’s built that way, he’s supposed to be an arsehole. There are no pretentious aspirations to heroism here. He’s just a complete fucking arsehole, so genocide doesn’t matter.” and leave it at that.

But there’s more to it than that.

It’s so knowing and silly, and not at all serious, and somehow that makes it work on levels that I still haven’t fully wrapped my mind around, yet.

See, I can kill 100 people in Skyrim and then I get sick of and annoyed at that game. Why? I’m a fucking monster in Skyrim, but the game heralds me as a hero. It makes no sense. Okay, so, in Skyrim I have a band of 20 bandits. I can’t disarm them, knock them out, and then cart them off to a prison (even the town guards arrest people!). No, I have to SLAUGHTER these poor bastards.

And it’s like…

I don’t know, I don’t feel like a hero in Skyrim. I feel like a complete and utter fucking arsehole. Like a plague on the land. I feel like there’s some kind of popular revolution out to smite the Dovahkiin because he’s a monster. And I don’t blame them.

Amalur is like this too, but also far more boring, so I care less.

(I care about Skyrim because it is interesting. I love the lore. I love the world. I love the IP. And to see Bethesda making such idiotic choices with it makes me irate. Amalur? Don’t give a shit. It’s a boring, fantasy pastiche and it has nothing on Elder Scrolls. Amalur can rot, but I want the Elder Scrolls to improve.)

But anyway, because of the silly nature of Saints Row: The Third, I don’t mind. It’s… weird. It goes beyond that line in quotes above, it’s more than that. It feels like a really bizarre stage play. And after the end of it everyone gets up on the stage and takes a bow.

They’re all fine after all, even that guy you shot from a cannon.

It’s just so completely surreal that it works.

I’m glad they figured out how to make it whatever it was, because it does work. It’s like being inside an entertainingly bad action film with you as the star. And it’s great.

I hope they never lose sight of that.

4. Gadzooks!

SR3 was pure fun from start to gloriously overblown finish. The VTOL is the best openworld game vehicle ever.

5. silkvg247

I really enjoyed the latest DLC (Gangtas in space). Gameplay was a bit repetitive but dialog had me in stitches.

I must say this on every SR3 post, but maybe I do it in the hopes it’ll be heard – a SR3 mmo would blow my mind. IT would be.. perfect. Beautiful. And crazy.

6. HeavyD-Love

Anyone that can be inspired by a dildo is ok in my book