Star Trek Online’s lead ship designer exits Cryptic for Bungie

Thursday, 8th March 2012 14:41 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Star Trek Online’s lead ship designer, Adam Williams, has announced via Twitter he is exiting Cryptic to join Bungie, where he will be working on the firm’s new title.

According to Williams: “I have bad news and good news. Bad news is I’m leaving STO and Cryptic in two weeks. Good news is I’m going to Bungie to work on their new title. Ian Richards will be replacing me permanently. Thanks for the wishes all. Ian is highly skilled. Trained in ships by yours truly.”

The firm’s Activision IP, rumoured to be called Destiny, was announced in April 2010 and while the firm has remained tight-lipped on the matter, it’s to be released on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

Those who are unfamiliar with STO and would like to have a look at Williams’ handiwork can take a gander at his personal blog.

1. LOLshock94

ohhh maaahh gerrrdddd

2. Patrick Garratt

Is this good? Bad?

3. monu-mental

It’s somewhere in-between, Pat. :D

4. Colin Gallacher

Has STO changed much since release? I was in the closed beta and then open beta. It seemed alright at the time…Away Missions just weren’t fun though.

5. TheWulf

I still don’t think that Star Trek Online is very good, to be honest. I’ve made a number of vested attempts to get into it but I’ve failed.

However, Champions Online (their other game), remains the most fun I’ve ever had with an MMO. I suspect it will remain that way until GW2 arrives. I doubt it’ll remain the case after that, but who knows?

I really think that they’ve got their marketing and resources bet on the wrong horse. STO is okay, but it’s also really, really dull. Whereas with CO… it’s just a lot of silly fun. It’s great to kick back with. I suppose the only barrier of entry with CO though is that you absolutely have to have an imagination to play it.

I’ve noticed that.

More than once I’ve introduced a friend to the game and they’ve just floundered. So what I’ve done is made them an appearance in the character creator (being an arty person), and thrown them together a build (which really isn’t that hard). Then they have an absolute blast.

The sole, single downfall of Champions Online is that people are usually creatively lazy. Often, the most ‘creative’ aspirations you’ll get out of the average person tends to be big houses, fast cars, and women with large assets. It’s depressing. But what can you do?

(I have a hard time trying to convince the women I know to try MMOs, so it’s hard to gauge them. Hence the above obviously being aimed more at the guys.)

I think that might be CO’s only failing – it requires creativity.

But if you are of a creative mindset, then gods damn if it isn’t the most fun MMO I’ve ever played.

6. Phoenixblight

“I think that might be CO’s only failing – it requires creativity.”

No its not creativity but the lack of end game content and lack of PVP. There are the two reasons why the game went to F2P along with the majority of the company leaving for other endeavors that aren’t related to making games.

7. fearmonkey

Champions Online is Meh and I’m a very creative person, I can spend hours building my characters in games, and exploring the world. I just thought the gameplay was so so.
    STO didnt hook me in the beginning, but a friend who loves it wants me to try again, so ill probably give another go.