Epic’s Unreal highlights reel shows off advanced DX11 capacity

Thursday, 8th March 2012 01:28 GMT By Brenna Hillier

If you are in any way interested in graphical advances, check out this amazing Unreal Engine sizzle reel from GDC 2012.

The demo shows off some of the fantastic things Unreal Engine can do when paired with DirectX 11, as well as the development tools which allow creators to take advantage of them. Existing games are shown alongside tech demos.

Unreal is one of the most widely-used engines in the triple-A games industry. The next version, Unreal Engine 4, is expected to be shown this year. Epic showed off the increasingly portable tech’s Flash capacities at GDC, too.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. Moonwalker1982

The Samaritan part especially looked great. I guess we can expect that of new consoles? Time will tell as always.

2. Erthazus

That samaritan demo was already possible on my previous PC without any problem. I could play “Samaritan” quality game in 2009.

some games on Pc (MMO’s) already using direct X11, enchanced bloom and etc. for like years. This is outrageous and Stupid for me. As a business model it works very well for fat CEO’s like Bobby Kotick that likes to make CoD every year with 1999 Id Tech 3 updated engine and it’s also working for CoD junkies that does not care at all, and why should they?

Anyway, Epic Games make a fantastic job with it’s engines since masterpiece like Unreal Tournament. I wish that they could return to PC and make another one, but that’s not going to happen for at least 5-10 years while people play with the controller.

@Moonwalker1982 “I guess we can expect that of new consoles? Time will tell as always.”

You can expect much more than this demo on the next consoles.

3. triggerhappy

@ Erth: Fuck me mate, thats a level of hatred I didn’t even think you had in you. I always though you were y’know having a laugh or something when you said you hated consoles. Im actually scared for the consoles well being now. Shhhhhh!! Lock up your consoles, Erths about…

4. MegaGeek1

That is a whole next level of hatred, but I cant say I blame him. I’d be pretty steamed too if I dropped $2500 on a dirty PC only to have every single game that comes out stifled by its higher selling, more profitable console iteration. C’est la vie I guess.

The big problem is that game developers, and especially publishers, are so blatant about it. Its as blatant a money grab as the 2007 Wall Street collapse.

Every year Nvidia and AMD release newer, faster, and better cards. Whats the point in buying a $600 Radeon HD 7970 when there isn’t one game out now – nor will there be in the foreseeable future – that can use that card to its full potential? That logic is the main reason I wont dip into PC gaming.

5. Maximum Payne

@4 Arma 3 :)

6. minxamo

Oh, you had 3 GTX 580s in 2009 did you?
    Fucking idiot…

7. ManuOtaku

#2 “Jesus Christ, i hate consoles. I need to wait for this for another 1-3 years and when Next Generation (or so called) will be out, Bokeh, enchanced bloom and Direct X11 will be already outdated and because of some casuals, hardcore gamers will be stuck with this tech for 7-8 years.”

Jesus Christ, i hate PC. I need to pay like 3 times more for a console that wants to be like a PC and when the Next Generation (or so called) will be out, Broken, because development costs will increase and then games will increase their price as well,therefore we will have less new IPS, and then hardcore gamers will be stuck with COD HALO AND GOD OF WAR to its 100 iteration at exorbitant prices.