Jaffe: Gamers “should feel that they’re getting great value”

Tuesday, 6th March 2012 00:52 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Eat Sleep Play boss David Jaffe has warned the games industry not to take pricing complaints too lightly.

The God of War creator said the used games market is a symptom of gamers’ general unhappiness with how much their hobby costs.

“Consumers feel games are too expensive and they shouldn’t have to care about the machine behind the scenes of how they get their games,” Jaffe told GamesIndustry.

“They should feel that they’re getting great value for what they spend. They should feel that they’re being respected by the people who make the games and that they’re being entertained well beyond what they paid for their entertainment.”

Jaffe said digital distribution will probably equalise the market eventually, but in the meantime, the industry needs to focus on keeping consumers happy.

“I think it’s going to be a lot of pushing and pulling and changing to find something that feels fair and respectful. But I think the big thing that we have to listen to – it doesn’t matter how this gets solved or what Sony does or Microsoft does – what does matter is that we need to listen to what the customer is saying,” he said.

“The customer is basically saying they’re cynical, they think we’re greedy, and they think they’re not getting value for their dollar.”

While the designer acknowledges some consumers will never be satisfied he feels the industry doesn’t give current dissatisfaction enough credence.

“However the specifics of this get worked out, I think we really need to hear – it’s like, wow. The customers aren’t happy,” he sad.

“I do think some of them who are complaining about pricing, we should listen. It’s at our peril that we ignore that part of the conversation. We can disagree with their solution while still fully embracing the emotional component, which is that they feel that they’re getting the shaft more often than they should, which really should be never.”

1. LOLshock94

WAAAAAAAAIT WHAT!!! jaffe you gone full potato you ugly ass fag, you said a couple of months ago that locking certain parts of the game and using it as dlc was great… man your so fucking dumb its unbelievable and this is coming from a full retard

2. Se_7_eN

“As long as you don’t buy my games”

^ That should have been added in there somewhere.

3. Night Hunter

Please, for the love of god, just STFU!

You made 2 games of note, that does not ive you the right to constantly blabber on and on and on about what others are doing wrong …

4. OlderGamer

He is spot on. And I invite those that lividly disagree to see beyond the nose on their faces.

Oh and Night Hunter, how many “games of note” have you made?

Right now the industry as a whole has the same warm embrace as a soulless ghoul. All we are is walking wallets to most companies. Bleed it till its dry only takes you so far.

5. HeavyD-Love

Dear David Jaffe,

I bought Twisted Metal on release day and am very much enjoying the single player.

I’d LOVE to play online as you’ve made it very clear it’s primarily a multiplayer game, however I cannot get online to this day despite your post release patch/fix attempts. Not once……..nay……..not once in over 30 attempts.

I have no problems playing any of my other 30 games online, only Twisted Metal.

What the fuck? I’m fucking PISSED. I paid $64 for this game and I can’t even play it online with friends as intended?!?!? Unacceptable Jaffe.

Maybe I’ll shrink wrap it without the disc and return it to get my $64 back and attempt to screw you in the process.

Whatever dick.

-Angry Fan

6. djjoejoe

Why did I actually read some of these comments. Fuck.

7. Fin

Playing devil’s advocate here, based on that logic, how many internet commentators do you know who “have a right” to blabber on and on about what others are doing?

8. Christopher Jack

My main problem is how much more us Aussies are paying than the rest of the damn world. I’d probably get most AAA games at lunch if they cost $40 or less, even the American average of $60 feels too much but sure as hell beats $110. I was willing to get Dead Island with little knowledge of the game & several mixed scores at lunch because I was able to get it for $40 & for that price, I really enjoyed it, I think anything higher & I may have felt ripped off, as Jaffe points out, our cynical side which is largely based on value.

9. DrDamn

I think what you think of the bloke and whether you think he has the right or not is moot. He’s talking and people are listening/reporting on it. So really it’s down to what he’s actually saying. In that respect I agree with OG. He’s spot on.