Mass Effect 3 shows “Kinect can be integrated into core games,” says MS exec

Friday, 24th February 2012 11:24 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Kinect marketing boss Michael Johnson has said Mass Effect 3′s integration of the motion controller shows how it can be used within core games without it being force-fitted.

The BioWare RPG will make use of voice control to choose story dialogue for Shepard, as well as give orders during battle to your team.

Speaking at an Amsterdam Xbox anniversary event, Johnson told Zoomin Games in the video interview below that Kinect focussed on causal gamers first so it could convey the message that Xbox was for everyone.

“I think based on what we’ve brought to market when we launched Kinect, I think it’s an understanding that people can say, ‘ah, Kinect is only for very casual gamers’,” he said.

“But the reason we focussed on casual gameplay first and foremost was we wanted to send that signal, that Xbox is for everybody. We wanted to make those games that are relevant to everybody. But as you start to see now, there are more and more core games that are figuring out more great ways to use Kinect.

“I’d love to see what [EA] are doing with Mass Effect 3, and I think that the use of voice to interact with the world, it makes sense as part of the game and it doesn’t seem force-fit at all. That’s exactly the way Kinect can be integrated into core games.”

On Kinect Star Wars, Johnson said the game let everyone who was a Star Wars live out their “Jedi fantasy”.

“The target audience for Kinect Star Wars is absolutely everyone who loves Star Wars. There’s a huge variety of people under that umbrella,” he said.

“There are gonna be some core gamers who just really want to live out their Jedi fantasy and use that lightsaber and force powers and they’re really going to enjoy the Jedi part of the game.”

Kinect Star Wars launches on April 5. Here’s a video of Princess Leia dancing that shows how awesome she is at dancing. Literally.

1. StolenGlory

“Kinect can be shoehorned, kicking and fucking screaming into core games,”

Fixed.

2. Edo

No thank you I would rather assume direct control!

3. djjoejoe

Last time I checked Kinect wasn’t doing anything for Mass Effect other than Voice Recognition… sure there is some offloading of voice recognition that happens on the kinect but is that honestly something a general cpu can’t do on the console itself? We had voice commands in many games years ago on the original xbox, voice is NOT kinect specific and SHOULDN’T be locked into a $150 device.

4. Deacon

More Kinect faildom.

I actually think the voice recognition aspect in ME3 IS very good. But as the guy above me states, this is hardly something exclusive to Kinect.

STILL waiting for MS to deliver on their promise of serving the core with Kinect, as they have continually promised.

I consider the Kinect launch to be one of the most blatant robberies of the 21st century, and it’s startling how much people get sucked into a multi-million dollar marketing campaign. And no, don’t tell me that everyone who bought Kinect is happy with it. And don’t tell me that they bought it solely for the Dance and Party games.

The promise of ‘being the controller’, or that Kinect is ‘the future of gaming’ was clearly too inticing for some (millions).

5. StolenGlory

@2 I would +1 you if I could :)

6. Da Man

Borderline noone bought Kinect to play anything aside from Dance games and the likes, sales figures demonstrate that.. Their marketing also used dance games as something which is fun with Kinect.. hence, people essentially got what they were looking for. The ‘marketing campaign’ promised the same thing they delivered.

Nothing suggests otherwise.

7. OrbitMonkey

Outside of games the kinnect can be used for some great things… In games… Not so much.

8. viralshag

When I traded in my old 360 for a new one I went with the Kinect bundle solely for dance and party games… and as far as that’s concerned it was worth it.

Sure, it gathers dust most of the time and I wouldn’t even think of hooking it up for ME3 but those times it has come out has been great and for me, more enjoyable than playing with a Wii.

9. Henry

@3 No, voice command is NOT Kinect specific. There are definitely other ways to implement voice command.

But Kinect is a convenient way to implement, such that developers don’t need to build or buy a voice command program for their own game, which means saving money for them.

This can be an encouragement for developers to integrate voice command feature into more games. And voice command does have its potential in many types of games. Just like ME3, reducing the times you have to open a menu and pause the gameplay.