Dear Esther profitable in less than 6 hours of availability on Steam

Wednesday, 15th February 2012 16:34 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Within five and a half hours on sale, Dear Esther has sold enough units to pay for its development. In less than 24-hours, the game has sold 16,000 units on Steam, and has afforded thechineseroom the opportunity to recoup its financial backing from the Indie Fund and skirt to the top of the Steam’s sales charts. The game, originally a mod for Half-Life 2, was released on Valve’ service yesterday for £6.99/€7.99/$9.99.

1. Kalain

When something is good, people will buy it. I think this is a nice case in point.

Now, if only big companies would pay attention!

2. DSB

It’s not a game, but it’s one of very few game-related projects that I would call art.

3. ManuOtaku

I Hope this will be hitting the PSN/XBL at some point in time.

4. _LarZen_

Im realy glad to read this, something this good deserve to sell so that the developers go in plus and then some.

Im not done with it yet but so far this is a experience unlike anything out there. If games had had the same attention to details and sound as in this experience I would be realy happy.

More of this type of products! You hear that developers?? :)

I wouldnt be sad if there came these types of experiences with some type of gameplay also, but not on cost of the imersion.

5. DSB

Out of curiosity, have you seen anyone on the island?

I saw two shadows on my playthrough, one was walking, the other one was standing near a fire, and there was no explanation and no talk, and following the walker lead to a dead end.

It was incredibly subtle, but that was definitely a “What the fuck?!” moment for me.