Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning takes UK top spot

Monday, 13th February 2012 09:33 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is the new UK number one.

The EA Partners-published, 38 Studios/Big Huge Games RPG is the first new RPG series to debut at number one in nearly 12 years since Pokemon Red, and is the first new IP altogether to debut up top since Dead Island last September.

Other new entry The Darkness II came in behind Final Fantasy XIII-2 in third. We’ve a piece on the Digital Extremes shooter going up soon.

The top five is rounded off by Metal Gear Solid HD Collection and FIFA 12.

Atlus romantic thriller Catherine, published here by Deep Silver, came just inside the top 20, while EA Sports Grand Slam Tennis 2 debuted at 26.

Here’s the top ten for the week ending February 11. Last week’s data is here.

1. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
  2. Final Fantasy XIII-2.
  3. The Darkness 2
  4. Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
  5. FIFA 12
  6. Battlefield 3
  7. Modern Warfare 3
  8. Assassin’s Creed: Revelations
  9. Skyrim
  10. Mario & Sonic: London 2012 Olympics

1. The_Red

HELL YES. Not only it’s an awesome game by its own, Amalur is also a freaking NEW core IP. While all the other 9 spots are taken by sequels, it’s more than nice to see a great new RPG like Amalur take the top spot.

2. aseddon130

i’m pretty pleased it’s not a sequel or any form of shooter that’s number 1, can’t say i was bowled over by Amalur’s demo but it’s nice to see it take No.1

3. Maximum Payne

Its really good game and its really trying.

4. mickey2002

Sold out aat local gamestation, tesco/asda (2 tesco 1 asda all within 1mile) and they are not selling it. Shows how well it’s sold to still grab number one which all us gamers knew it would, they should of stocked more, GS had a truck load of darkness 2.

5. Detale

Finally played the demo over the weekend, was quite impressed. Not really my usual genre but enjoyed it a great deal and will be purchasing in the near future I think.

6. Telepathic.Geometry

I’ve been ploughing through this all weekend, loving it to absolute bits. XD

7. silkvg247

Got the demo waiting, purposefully avoiding for now because I want to finish skyrim first. Only started Skyim recently as was waiting for mods to fix the inherently broken UI, and for the HD texture pack. Now it feels like a decent game, and I’m enjoying it!

8. OlderGamer

Good idea to finish Skyrim first Silk. Once you get into KoA, your going to understand how poorly Elder Scrolls games actualy play. Right now saying that sounds close to blasphime. Or like a PR line, but KoA is fast, fluid and fun to control during combat, whereas Skyrim is clumsy and clunky. Makes a huge difference.

No reason ya can’t enjoy both games of course.

Just make sure you pick up KoA, your won’t regret it one bit.

9. MegaGeek1

Well deserved! Im loving every minute of this game.

10. silkvg247

@OlderGamer Oh trust me, I know even without touching KoA that Skyrim has clumsy combat. It’s why I elected to skill up 2H axes and put the game on novice (or whatever the next one up from easy is called); means I can just 1 or 2 shot most stuff and forget about the crap combat, focusing on story instead.

11. ManuOtaku

Well i think the game deserves the recognition is getting, is really a good game and its a brand new IP, now i cannot wait for the second game, and see where they take this series to,IMHO with some improvements in a few areas this game will be a masterpiece.

12. viralshag

I have to say I wasn’t taken away with the game at first… which is probably funny to anyone on my Steam friends list as I’m sure you barely saw me playing anything else since Friday but I am starting to warm up to it now.

I can’t say I’m thrilled with the voice acting and the story still isn’t blowing me away but the combat is indeed fun and fast. Also I find that a lot of the gear looks identical and that’s something that really winds me up.

But I can’t deny that it has my interest, I have logged about 24 hours already after all.

13. TheWulf

Hrmn. Skyrim wasn’t so strong of an RPG in the first place, the choices felt forced and simple choices between “Be a dick this way.” or “Be a dick that way.” And it was always two choices, it felt very artificial. And Amalur moves further from that. I’d say that Amalur is an action adventure game really, more like Uncharted than an RPG.

I’ll stick with the likes of New Vegas if I’m going to slap a genre like RPG on something – narrative, story, world, character, choices, these are all things that should matter. I felt that Bethesda made an effort in Skyrim, so okay, fair play to them. But it could have been better. New Vegas is currently my ‘gold standard.’

Amalur is just “Lord of the Rings with TERA Gameplay” though. It’s an action RPG in a cloyingly familiar setting. Whatever Amalur is, it’s never going to be an RPG, no more than God of War was an RPG anyway. It’s not a bad thing, it’s just that it’s not an RPG.

Thus, comparing it to Elder Scrolls is not only unfair, but incorrect. Skyrim isn’t the best RPG ever, but at least they made an effort to actually make it an RPG rather than an action adventure. There are elements that actually make an RPG an RPG, and they’re very difficult to achieve. Though, really, the world of Amalur is less interesting than Titan Quest even because at least Titan Quest rocked Greek mythology.

I suppose its popularity is that people don’t want to be challenged. They just want a generic fantasy setting, one like every one before it, one where nothing is different, where they can kill lots of shit in gore-laden ways. That’s fine. But there’s no RPG there and the character of Sir or Lady Omnicdial Maniac just doesn’t appeal to me.

This maybe a top game for a lot of people, but it’s not even on my radar.

To be honest, I look at Amalur and I realise just how much it does poorly in comparison to the Elder Scrolls, and it actually makes me appreciate Skyrim more despite all of its flaws. I suppose it’s a case of not knowing how good you have it until you realise how much worse things could be.

If I had to choose between Amalur or Skyrim for our future, I’d be frantically pointing at Skyrim and screaming “Go that way! Go that way!!!”

Though, like I said, New Vegas remains my gold standard.

I’ll admit though, it does make me really sad. I mean, it seems all that the majority want out of a game is a setting that you could have a group of high school kids throw together coupled with the gameplay concept of “Kill shit!”

IS that how far your desire goes?

You know, I actually stuck with Vanguard: Saga of Heroes a while after its release. It was graphically and aesthetically horrible, and many of the races of the stuff of nightmares, and the locations felt half-arsed. So why stick with it? It had diplomacy.

I could engage in diplomacy and use that as a means to get through the game, I could go from place to place and actually use the powers of my mind and voice, and get by on those, and wear everyday clothes whilst doing it. The game mechanics behind diplomacy were fun, too. I really enjoyed that.

I got to rely on being quick witted, rather than just relying on my character’s ‘sexy, scantily clad body’ to pull off those ‘sweet killing moves.’

I’m just sad that I’m so alone in that.

(And yes, I played New Vegas with barely any kills under my belt via a mix of talking and stealth. Even with the war zone at the end of the game, I legged it over to the Legate and had a chat with him, and with words alone I convinced him to retreat. That’s the sort of madman I am. I use words.)