Frictional Games teases next Amnesia, may be set in China

Friday, 10th February 2012 15:07 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Frictional is teasing its next game, and it appears it may be a sequel to Amnesia: The Dark Decent and set in China.

Looking over a teaser site launched by the firm, if you click on the image, it transports you to a Google Maps overview of China – and that’s about it really.

RPG did some digging, and found the site is indeed registered to Friction along with the following description: “3D game, Frictional Games, advanced physics, survival horror, action adventure, first person, horror, scary, HPL, work in progress, upcoming game, next frictional game, game development.”

Furthermore, RPS found some interesting text accompanying the domain registry: “Welcome to the next Frictional game site, a site with information about our game projects in development. We use this site to post content about a project in development, during the period it does not have a final name decided.”

Hopefully something more concrete will be revealed from the firm soon, but an Amnesia game set in China? Sign us up.

1. Noodlemanny

JIZZ, simplz

2. TheWulf

Hooray! Another game that I’ll buy and never complete because I’m a complete coward.

I love what they’re doing, though. They’re doing the sort of storied and genuinely interesting game that they want to do, and that puts them heads and shoulders above most mainstream efforts of late.

As such I will support them with my money even if I don’t think I’ll be able to play it to completion, because I want to see more developers try to do this. I’m so sick of developers trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator, as there are many reasons as to why that waters down your game and limits it.

Mostly, you’re limiting your game to the imagination of the lowest common denominator, which is only quantifiable in infinitesimal amounts. The common mentality with putting a game together is that you can’t take these people, with their almost non-existent imaginations, with next to no sense of wonder, out of their comfort zones. If you do, your game won’t sell.

Well, lots of things have shot for that appeal and they end up being so very dull because of it. A number of recent punching bags of mine (Amalur, TOR, et cetera) are fine examples of this. They do nothing that will ever really challenge you on any level, there’s nothing that will really make you open your eyes, nothing that would have you gasp in wonder, and nothing that would chill you to the bone.

But with a game like Amnesia, they’re not pulling any punches. Frictional don’t pull any punches and I can respect that – can you understand why? They won’t tone things down just because of me, and because of that it’s taken me forever to get through Amnesia. I keep going back every once in a while to poke at it, but I do so in the middle of the day, when it’s nice and bright! *coughs.*

The thing is though is that a game like Amnesia lingers in the mind, it does so because someone was clearly invested in infecting me with their vision. They had an idea in mind for a story and they weren’t going to give an inch, even if it was going to scare seven shades out of prospective buyers.

Amnesia is clearly a very niche title, but it is so much better for it.

THUS. I will buy the next Amnesia game, I may not ever complete it, but I will buy it. I will buy it because I admire their courage and aspirations, I’ll buy it because I want that courage to spill over onto other developers. I want more developers to tell the story that they want to tell, not to tell the story that’s going to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

3. ManuOtaku

I just hope the first one would came to the PSN/XBLA at some point, i really want to play this game

4. Se_7_eN

This is good news.

They aren’t doing a sequal to Amnesia just yet… They said that their next game was going to be an adventure title, with “Horror Elements”. But not directly just horror, and that they would do a Amnesia sequel in the future.

5. Erthazus

Amnesia is the only true horror game this generation.

It’s fantastic. Amnesia that is set in China? Holy :D

6. absolutezero

I hope to hell its going to have traditional Chinese enemies.

Like hopping vampires.

7. AHA-Lambda

oh god i couldn’t even finish penumbra, let alone amnesia D:

8. Len

Up for it but like The Wulf and others totally terrified at the thought.

Dark Descent did me in… /shudder