Rockstar San Diego hiring for new open-world game

Monday, 6th February 2012 18:30 GMT By Debabrata Nath

Rockstar San Diego, the creator of Red Dead Redemption and Midnight Club, seems to be developing another open-world game if new job listings are any clue.

The developer’s posted three new job ads at Gamasutra this weekend looking for tools, gameplay, and network programmers, with two of them mentioning an open-world project.

Although no additional details have been provided, it’s likely to be the sequel to successful 2010 open-worlder Red Dead Redemption.

Thanks, GameInformer.

1. LOLshock94

red dead next gen alpha test incoming hurr durr hur

2. Sadismek

If it’s a sequel to Red Dead Redemption, I’ll take any job they offer, just to get a peak at what they’ll be doing :D

3. drewbles82

I’m still surprised we didn’t get more big DLCs like undead. I was expecting something on the revolution or Indians.

4. Sadismek

@3 That was more like an expansion, but yeah, I get you, it was pretty surprising since the game was a success. Although Rockstar tend to ignore their games after a while, releasing little content, like they did with RDR (a lot of small multiplayer DLC and Undead Nightmare), or GTA IV (what, Ballad of Gay Tony and Lost and Damned, and that was all!). Meh, I think we have to be satisfied with what they offer, but I need more from RDR!

5. drewbles82

@4 still loved the game, loved the extras like hunting etc, so much fun. Hope that GTA5 learns from Red Dead.

6. OrbitMonkey

I really got into Red Dead on my 2nd attempt and was loving it up to the point

*SPOILER* *SPOILER* *SPOILER*

You start playing as John’s son. His whiney voice pissed me off. Would a sequel even be set in the wild west though?

7. DSB

@6 Y’know, I’m having the same experience at the moment.

I was totally unimpressed the first two times I tried to play it, but this time I get it.

I think it’s a problem with the pacing. Really, starting out a western game with chores on a ranch isn’t the cleverest way to get people hooked.

The minigames by and large suck. When I look at what’s good about the game, I’m not gonna say herding cows or breaking horses. It’s obviously the Client Eastwood/John Wayne pewpew action.

And getting your face eaten by feral cats.

For some reason I just respect a game for putting something like that in there. “Boom, your face is gone. Deal with it”.

8. Erthazus

I’m a freakin fan of RDR. I finished it with 100% stats + platinum.

One of my favourite games from Rockstar, if not the best one for me.
    What they did is absolutely incredible. I just… I love this game so much. The atmosphere in this game is just jaw dropping.

I still remember my first time when you come to the industrial small little city and you start realizing that times have changed and it’s time to move on and that industrial music and atmosphere and the first car.

I FAP to this game. I want the next game in the Western setting again and son of the motherduck, release the damn Collectors edition and i will buy one for sure.

PS: I didn’t enjoyed multiplayer much and my problem with the main character is that he does not give an F about when he helps random guys. He just accepts every quest they give to him.

PS2: Playing RDR for me is like playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

9. Sini

maybe its rdr pc port

10. Maximum Payne

@9 I would love to but its very hard to believe.

11. The Last Nomad

I really, really hope its not a sequel to Red Dead Redemption.
    I think I’m the only one who would say such a thing.

And do not get me wrong, I FUCKING LOVED Red Dead Redemption. It is quite possibly my favourite game of all time, certainly in my top 5.

Its just, it was so good, and original, that I feel a sequel would just shit over that. I do, however, really really really hope they make another sandbox game in the same style. Maybe in a totally different setting, like the future or something like that.

12. daytripper