Final Fantasy X not a remake, but a “remaster,” says Square Enix

Monday, 6th February 2012 09:15 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Square Enix producer Shinji Hashimoto has confirmed Final Fantasy X for PS3 and Vita will be a HD remaster, not a remake as it had been previously said.

“It’s being developed like a remaster, but the visuals will be much more improved compared to the original game,” said Hashimoto, speaking in an interview at the Taipai Game Show (Via FF Reunion, Nova Crystallis).

Series producer Yoshinori Kitase had previously said the game would be a remake rather than a HD remaster. Seems not.

Final Fantasy X for PS3 and Vita was announced at Tokyo Game Show last year, but is without a date.

1. awaltzforvenus

I’m actually glad to hear this. When they originally said it would be a full remake, I wasn’t as excited about it. Not because I don’t think it would be a good remake, but because it would take more resources away from developing a new numbered title in the series (my money’s on Versus XIII getting renamed as XV). Plenty of people played X already, I don’t think making a new X is very necessary.

2. Zana

Just a quick note: Kitase never said it would be a remake. It was a mistranslation from a German magazine, so here game journalists must be blamed for not doing their job properly. The term used in the magazine was a generic word meaning “new version”.

3. Fin

Why can’t I view entire stories in my RSS reader anymore? :(

4. Patrick Garratt

@4 – Sorry. I had it changed last week. We have to make people come to the site.

5. Fin

Oh ok :(

6. Mystic Sage

That’s pretty lame I was excited to see a complete remake of FFX because this game was amazing would have been nice to see it built from the ground up for this gen of consoles.HD remasters are cool but the graphics still aren’t that great.