Sony’s Hirai debunks PS4 E3 reveal rumours – details

Wednesday, 11th January 2012 05:55 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Sony Computer Entertainment chairman Kazuo Hirai has flatly denied whispers of an imminent PlayStation 4 reveal at E3 in June.

Speaking to press at CES in Las Vegas, as reported by the Wall Street Journal, Hirai backed up recent comments from SCE boss Andrew House.

“Andy (House) is absolutely right in that we are not making any announcements at E3,” he said.

“I’ve always said a 10-year life cycle for PS3, and there is no reason to go away from that.”

The ever-present powder keg of next-gen hardware rumour exploded this week after a spark from MCV. The site claimed both a new Xbox and PlayStation console will be shown at E3 2012, citing third-party sources.

At least one new piece of hardware is expected in June, as Nintendo give a full reveal of Wii U, debuted last year after months of leaks – but nothing else is likely to surface.

PlayStation 3 is just over five years old and likely isn’t going anywhere, despite constant rumours to the contrary, and Microsoft also seems far from ready to move on new hardware, and failed to present a rumoured hardware announcement.

Thanks, Engadget.

1. Dannybuoy

Good I don’t need to lust after any new kit for a while thanks.

2. JimFear-666

all the things around new console is soooooooooooo stupid and reaaaaaaaaaally stupid. All these morons speculating about what the new console would be is soo….. lame.

3. TheBlackHole

I agree that the speculation is annoying, but I’m more than ready for the next gen. Bring it.

4. jacobvandy

Good, I just bought my damn PS3 like 15 months ago, talk of unveiling the next one so soon was kind of bumming me out.

5. jnms

Gonna end up being the same situation as last gen; Microsoft will get a massive head-start on Sony.

(All these people that never believe these ‘rumours’ make me laugh. They always disappear when the truth gets out. I’m betting most of them are young’uns that were too young to remember how things unfolded prior to all the previous console releases.)

6. G1GAHURTZ

The PS4 is doomed.

7. Joe Musashi

!!!!!

JM

8. drewbles82

for a start, they arent gonna let people know if they would show a new console at E3 otherwise it ruins the surprise.