Rumour: Next Xbox, PlayStation 4 to get E3 unveils

Friday, 6th January 2012 09:11 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Sony and Microsoft are set to spoil Wii U’s coming out party at E3 by unveiling PlayStation 4 and the next Xbox in Los Angeles in June, MCV is reporting this morning.

The unveils will come as Nintendo prepares to confirm full details of Wii U’s software lineup, as well as launch details following its announcement last year.

Speculation on an E3 reveal for the new Xbox has been going on since last year, but chatter on PlayStation 4 has remained very much under the radar besides a Develop report mentioning last year several first-party Sony studios had already gotten hold of a dev kit for the next-gen hardware.

Microsoft is expected to talk about the new hardware in some form at CES next week as part of the company’s final keynote at the event in Vegas, according to one report.

However, any new Xbox is not expected until next year at least.

This week, a USPTO-granted patent from Microsoft suggested some sort of PVR functionality for the hardware.

E3 2012 takes place from June 5-7.

1. Erthazus

Finally that 2006 year old hardware is going to hell. Bring the next gen.

2. Edo

#1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKUoVwr38JQ .

3. Christopher Jack

I doubt this but I won’t say that it’s impossible as a 2013 holiday release is plausible considering the lack of announced games for that year from any manufacturer.

4. Unlimax

Oh come on … that’s pretty fast :\

at least say something about it till next year .

5. GrimRita

Can developers actually afford to develop on the next gen? They are struggling with the current gen. It has to be cheaper for them, otherwise more devs will simply go to the wall.

6. Gheritt White

I wouldn’t be surprised if everything got brought forward a year, depending on announcements made by certain companies at CES and WWDC this year. MS and Sony can’t afford to fall behind disruptive technology again, as they did with the Wii.

7. Erthazus

@3, i’m not sure that Sony’s console will be out in 2013. Probably for Japan like with Ps Vita at December.

Microsoft will 100% launch it’s new box in Christmas time with Windows 8, but Sony can’t afford to lose the competition this time by releasing the console after Microsoft’s XBOX.

+ Sony have some games for 2012 and vita. It’s hard for them anyway.

8. The_Red

@1 I’m pretty sure they didn’t have any hardware 2006 years ago.

But yeah, I would like to see a new hardware at E3. It would be an epic battle between Sony, MS and Nintendo, with the latter revealing a new console with last gen graphics just like they did with the Revolution when PS3 and 360 were first shown.

9. Patrick Garratt

Yeah. I’m sorry, but as far as I’m aware this simply isn’t true.

10. Strandli

#5: I don’t think it will be much difference, to be honest.

It’s hard to explain without becoming to technical, but the technology they have now will easily scale to more powerful hardware.

The last jump in graphics was huge, because people suddenly expected realism in games, they wanted blockbusters, which forced devs to start completely over. But all that stuff is already in place now, motion capture, realistic models, actors, proper music composers etc.

When developers make character models for PS3/360, they’ll start with a detailed version. this version can be used for cutscenes and similar stuff where hardware is not a limitation. They then take those models, and optimize them for the hardware. More powerful consoles would just mean they could use in-game assets that are closer to the level of detail to their original high-res assets.

Not sure if that makes any sense… But it essentially means, they’ll be able to throw more polygons and texture maps at the game, which doesn’t really change their usual development schedule. They’re just less limited.

11. RandomTiger

@10 That’s true to an extent but there will still be an arms war for AAA games which will probably push team sizes and budgets still higher and therefore require minimum risk strategy’s (i.e. tried and tested gameplay mechanics).

I guess we might see three distinct tiers next gen: XBLA/PSN type (generally low spec), medium spec better than ‘this gen’ but limited by budget and proper AAA, massive blockbusters from tech focused developers.

12. The_Red

Untrue for just PS4 or both of them?

13. Patrick Garratt

@12 – Either. It’s too early. Another year.

14. Moonwalker1982

I actually still highly doubt we will see anything of any new console. Sure MS doesn’t have an awful lot of exclusive games left for this year, but neither did they have incredible much last year. We still have Halo 4 upcoming, Fable: The Journey and Ryse. Even though Ryse could go next gen, taking that stuff from last year into account about it.

A new console reveal would be great, but i’m not gonna get my hopes up for anything.

15. Braders06

I think it is more likely MS will announce a new console this coming E3 than sony, as sony seem to want to focus on psvita this year as they made the mistake of last time with the psp announcing the ps3 not long after and losing focus on the psp, causing a lack of great games being made for it and therefore a lack of interest. I think sony won’t announce the ps4 until E3 2013 at the earliest as they want to give the vita it’s year in the spotlight.

Microsoft on the other hand i think will want to announce the new xbox at this year’s E3 to try and steal the spotlight from the Wii U. they might even (although extremely unlikely) announce a portable off shoot of the xbox franchise to compete in the handheld market space. but all of this is speculation, i may be totally wrong, but i don’t see the point in getting my hopes up until some solid facts come from either companies.

16. Strandli

@11: Yeah, that will most likely happen. I wasn’t trying to make it look like there won’t be changes at all, just that the jump won’t be as big and scary as the previous one.

Much of the hardware resources will be used for more technology, like SSS, lighting, shadows etc. Those things will make the biggest visual difference, but won’t require much bigger staff and budget.

17. Cleaderwoo

MS won’t release a console this year. It would be a good idea on paper to launch a new xbox along side Win8, but it simply won’t work as people would spend their money on a new OS over a new system, unless you’re an xbox fan. Besides, the current xbox already has the metro theme so it wouldn’t be that much of a difference look-wise.

As for PS, I doubt any hardware would come out of E3, perhaps some ideas/concepts thrown around, an epic trailer of sorts with all their ideas so far. They have said numerous times they still firmly believe in the ten-year plan for the PS3, and have related to how the PS2 was still selling while the PS3 was slow to grow. With Vita coming up in other continents, and strong games released/soon to be released I see no point in rushing out a new system just to compete with the others. They’re going to take their time, include things they missed with the PS3, aka cross game chat, and develop a plan to somehow integrate it into the market without the need to wipe out PS3. So I predict maybe a holiday 2013- spring 2014 release.

All that being said, I feel as if Nintendo’s new system isn’t going to do well. I’ve talked to a few family members who had bought the wii, ranging in different ages, and said they feel the WiiU is just the same with a tablet on it. I’m sure once Nintendo released their trademark titles and market more effectively it’ll sell like hotcakes, but I don’t think they’ll get things on the right track till MS releases a system.

I’m excited though, and I’m also excited to see what the PC market brings to the table. Perhaps Tablet games? Maybe more competitors to steam service? All I know is 2012 is going to be a year of hype.

Pure hype I tell you.

18. The_Red

I see. Thanks for the update.
    Maybe they’ll just release some target render trailer or something.

19. Christopher Jack

Still believe that 2014 is the earliest we’ll be able to pick up either console, it can’t be good for Microsoft to announce a new console with their biggest franchise coming 5 months later for their current one. Although I’ve no idea when MS announced the 360, Halo 2 was released just a year before it. I reckon if the 360′s successor does get released next year, the reveal will be in the same year too.

20. HeavyD-Love

another day……..another next gen rumor

21. HeavyD-Love

Just read this on IGN….

Speaking on Twitter, MCV’s online editor Ben Parfitt said “Obviously we can’t reveal our sources. But you have my personal word on this – the source is exemplary, 100% concrete, ultra high level.”

22. DSB

@5 There are quite a lot of factors in that. Console games are crazy expensive, and this generation has now been going longer than any recent one.

Ultimately the question of how hard the transition is depends on the adaptability of the developers, but certainly also how well they’re accomodated by the hardware manufacturers.

You could get the feeling that they weren’t accomodated very well at the last launch.

I think the best thing the industry could do right now is innovate and take some chances. I think that’s the way to really earn the bank. It’s a conservative tedium-factory right now.