Report – Crysis 2 tops 2011 piracy chart at 4m downloads

Monday, 2nd January 2012 23:29 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Here’s an award Crytek and EA are probably less than happy about.

In its annual report, TorrentFreak noted users downloaded a pirated version of Crysis 2 over 4 million times during 2011.

An out of date, incomplete build of Crysis 2 hit torrent sites a good month before its release in March 2011, but the site reports pirating of Crytek’s sequel significantly increased once the retail version became available.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 took second place with 3,650,000 downloads, with Battlefield 3 in third at 3,510,000.

Other interesting snippets from the report include Gears of War 3 as the top pirated Xbox 360 title – another leak victim – with 890,000 downloads, and the huge discrepancy between platforms; the PlayStation 3 didn’t make it onto any of the top ten lists, despite its root key leak early in the year.

Thanks, gamesradar.

1. AHA-Lambda

surprised mw3 wasn’t top =/

angry PC gamers that didn’t want to support crytek for the perceived dumbing down of the series but nevertheless wanted to play it then?

I must admit personally I bought it as I got a good deal on it but I wish I had just rented it, such a forgettable game. This, LA Noire and Battlefield 3 definitely burned me this year in terms of purchases :(

2. Talkar

It isn’t as bad as most people said, but it wasn’t great either x)

3. G1GAHURTZ

So EA finally managed to beat CoD then!

LOL!

4. LOLshock94

im guessing alot of people downloaded the leaked one to see if there pc can handle it, i know i did.

5. K-V-C

on my psn account around 40 or more of my friends on it had crysis 2 and i spoke to every one of them to see if they liked it all of them said the multiplayer was really bad but single player was good lol

6. xino

Crysis 2 most pirated?
    on what platform?
    xbox 360 or pc?

7. Da Man

It’s all that soviet-latvian patient and his butthurted no speaky english friends.

8. DSB

See? All that obnoxious bragging paid off!

Number one, yiiir!

9. Texamon

I think the main reason why this happened is simply due to the fact that a lot of people see Crysis as the “game” that will test your system, like benchmarking software. And to see if the leak was real to check out spoilers hehe

10. Talkar

On the NZB front it is a different picture. I’ve only just checked a few sites to get a general sense of what is what, but the top 10 list for most downloaded PC games there seems to be:

1: The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim