Quick quotes: Tetris manager believes Angry Birds is a fad, will go away like most crazes

Thursday, 22nd December 2011 21:16 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

“I like to compare it to a sport, in the beginning it’s an activity, like golf was an activity, then it became a sport. I think once people have played it more than 20 or 25 years you can say it’s here to stay, it’s a sport, it’s no longer a fad. Angry Birds is cute and everybody plays it for a while but they get burned out and move on and they will play another game. But Tetris is like Happy Birthday, it keeps on going. Everybody else has games that come and go, they make the hit parade, but these are all temporary. You have to work really hard to get your unknown game to be #1, but when we re-released Tetris it became #1 even though we didn’t do any marketing. We have an unfair advantage, I gotta say. I’d rather have the goose that lays the golden egg.” – Tetris Company’s manager Henk Rogers to IndustryGamers.

1. Maximum Payne

You jelly Tetris manager :D

2. Phoenixblight

DO you even know how much Tetris is worth over Angry birds? Its like comparing THe Statue of Liberty to the Alamo.

3. Maximum Payne

@2 You mad Phoenixblight :D

4. Phoenixblight

No, not all but to suggest that Tetris would be jealous of Angry birds is moronic.

5. Maximum Payne

@4 A cording to wikipedia…. but never mind :D

6. absolutezero

I fucking wish Angry Birds would fuck off.

Why bother creating anything of scale when you can shit out an app and make billions.

7. DeVitowned

Angry Birds is a grossly overrated fad, and proof that with persistent marketing, you can make any polished turd attractive to sheeple. Not that AB is a turd, but it is hardly a revolution. Still to this day, after 20+ years of gaming, I can honestly say I enjoy Tetris as much as I did when I was a child. 20 years from now, I won’t give a fuck about Angry Birds…or anything really, as I’ll probably have been destroyed by a rogue comet or zombie outbreak.

8. Sini

if you payed money for it, you’re the problem

9. DSB

It’s not a bad game. It’s extremely derivative, and the castle crushing game has obviously been done before, but it’s also not hard to see why it’s so much more attractive.

Simple art direction coupled with the right gameplay, on the right platform, at the right time = Huge succes. That’s been the case since Pacman in my opinion.

It’s no Tetris though. It’s always the same game no matter how many times you play it, so it has nothing on timeless procedural puzzles like the big T.

@6 So only big games can be good games?

10. Erthazus

It’s a bad game and it was created long time ago in http://www.newgrounds.com

there are tons of games like this one with penguins, bears and etc. for free with the same level of polish and quality.

the difference is that someone created this for iPhone and thought that it can sell there and some enthusiast just created it for newgrounds for people.

Thats it.

11. DaMan

You know what I think? I think Erthazus’ obsession with successful videogames as well as the idiotic antipathies and prejudicies are due to the fact that every single bullshit he states is a poorly spelled, exaggerated post by someone else…

The difference is that other people can criticize things in adequate manner and he just paraphrases them with added angsty gibberish. That’s it.

12. Erthazus

More like you are an Apple fanboy and your anus always hurts when i say truth about something you disagree with me.

Also, it has nothing to do with success because most of my favourite games of all time are successfull in most cases. So please continue your butthurted bullshit.

and it’s a bad game because it is my opinion (and opinion of most of the folks here on VG247) and i experienced that game since newgrounds was found.

13. DaMan

Really? Which probably explains that I think Angry Birds and most of the iOS games suck, notice that it’s purely cause they don’t appeal to me. So not at all, i just think you’re an idiot. You never say truth, I don’t disagree with you, and you aren’t entitled to an opinion on anything because you don’t have one. As I said, basically every single post of yours is poorly spelled version of someone else’s.

More like you fail to see the irony of being worse than the most derivative games from the App Store, buddy. Now what was that about anus again?

14. Erthazus

“you aren’t entitled to an opinion on anything because you don’t have one.”

That’s just says that you are a complete asshole because everything what i say is my opinion only so you can think what you want about that. You can disagree and fap to your Halo as much as you want and continue to be butthurt every time (because your butt always hurts. You always need to reply to me or to someone who bash your favourite shitty game or Apple product.) Everyone know that.
    Better go back to your Halo, because your stupid online friends wait for you.

15. DaMan

Nah, I’m just being that with pointless arseholes like you, wrong again. On the other hand, this: You always need to reply to me or to someone who bash your favourite shitty game or Apple product says how much of a liar you ‘re, but anyway.

It’s not my butt, because I think the latest Halo was largely a disappointment compared to the predecessor, and I reply to you because you make moronic, made up comments about something you never actually played and cite idiotic reasons (of course only to tell someone else that he didn’t play something in the next sentence). I reply to your idiocy.

Seeing as how you exactly continue to be butthurt no matter how many people point out your denial, and continue to fap to that rig…amazing irony yet again, Erthazus.

Note that every single time someone points out your lunacy, you revert to one of the predefined replies: with me it’s Halo and Apple. It’s like talking with a bot.

For someone who precisely spends their time arguing about his shitty games and attacking anyone remotely critical of PC you ‘re setting new standards daily.

Thank you for proving my point. (Everyone knows that)

16. absolutezero

@DSB you know thats not what I meant.

What worries me is for example the current state of the Scottish development scene, everyone seems to be going into making awful app games (not that apps can’t be good but theres a fucking massive gap between quantity and quality). The only reason I can see is because theres a huge market there willing to buy any old tat because its 69p.

Why bother with the high risk of producing a “larger” game when its a piece of piss to knock out another cut the rope and make millions? Its dangerous, as in Atari’s E.T. industry crashing dangerous.

17. DSB

@16 Is it really something to worry about though?

It’s certainly true that people will buy just about anything for a dollar, but I strongly doubt that it hurts the industry as a whole.

Personally I see it as adding to it. You already have flash games that cost absolutely nothing, and will easily provide you with the same thrills as the average old gameboy game.

That hasn’t taken anything from anybody, and I personally think it’s been beneficial to the medium as a whole, in getting a lot more people in there, working on smaller games.

If you have an actual interest in game design or development, then starting with a unity game or a flash one is quite easy. That doesn’t make it the be all and end all, though.

Of course no one is dying for fart apps or castle crusher clones, of course it’s overly simplistic, but doesn’t that also mean it doesn’t actually stand to threaten anything?

There are a million castle crusher games out there, and yet there’s really only one Angry Birds mega succes. To me that’s not a “sure thing” or something that I’d immediately put millions of dollars into.

You don’t just have to do it, you have to do it just right.

If we’re talking about Zynga games, or perhaps more specifically “freemium” micro-transaction games in general, then I think there’s a real problem, because what they’re doing is essentially cutting up even the tiniest fundamental parts of the games themselves and selling them to people bit by bit, or worse yet coercing them to sell the game itself for the company, by making them invite their friends in a virtual pyramid scheme.

That’s where I find myself getting pissed. It’s like making people buy a puppy piece by piece, at a hundred times the price of what it should be.

At least Angry Birds gives you the choice whether to buy their next, virtually identical entry. It doesn’t actually charge you per level, or make you slut out your network of friends.