Platinum Games boss defends Revengeance, KojiPro

Tuesday, 13th December 2011 23:09 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Atsushi Inaba has been busy on Twitter, responding to fans criticising Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance – and Kojima Productions.

After it was revealed that Kojipro had all but given up on the game before Platinum Games picked it up, Inaba has had to handle comments suggesting the two studios have a skills imbalance.

“It seems there are some who wish to imply Platinum Games was able to achieve what Kojima Productions could not – interviewers among them,” the executive director said, as reported by GamesIndustry.

“This notion is spurious. Clearly, we have not yet produced any results in the world of Metal Gear.

“The gap is immense. Mr. Kojima tossed his chips on our table, believing we could handle the task. In other words, he took a gamble.”

Some hardcore fans have voiced disappointment in the game’s new direction and tone, but Inaba has asked fans to wait and see.

“I know reaction to the new trailer is mixed. Yet I also believe our love and respect shines through,” he said.

“It is my hope that you catch a glimpse of the future in the footage. In order to achieve that evolution, that future, we at PlatinumGames will continue to fight, shedding our own blood, sweat and tears.”

At 5:00PM PST, Konami will release an English-language video tracing the game’s development history and explaining its switch of developer, as revealed at the VGAs over the weekend. Expect more details from a corresponding press event soon.

1. KrazyKraut

the thing is when we saw the new trailer I asked my girl:” wtf is this? vanquish 2?” and then I saw the Platinium Games logo….

Especially the running parts look like the quick time event parts from Vanquish. But…idc, want MGR:R !!!!

2. YoungZer0

“Yet I also believe our love and respect shines through,”

Yeah, not seeing it. However, i’m getting used to the idea that the studio has the rights in their hands now. I hope their future trailer proves me wrong about the story and dialogs.

3. madnessHero

Well in other good news, at least Ninja Theory isn’t making it

4. osric90

@3 I felt a shiver on my back when you said that last part.

5. CycloneFox

If I would have selected a studio for a future Metal Gear Game, I would have selected Platinum Games as well, seeing just how good Bayonetta and Vanquish are. (And those two games were badly critizised beforehand, as well)

I actually enjoed that trailer, even if it was a big shock. But one thing still bothers me: What I always loved about MGs post MGS2, is that you can play through the game without killing anybody. That makes the protagonist so much more likable. And I liked the idea of knocking enemys down and using the sword just to cut their weapons. But now it looks like you have no choices to make gameplay-wise. It’s just an assumption yet, of course. Maybe they just wanted to shock the people with this bloody trailer and let the player choose how to play afterwards, like KojiPro did with MGS4.
    Well I’ll play it anyway.

6. IL DUCE

Yeah I wondeer if this game will even make it out…Kojima could decide its shit again and just can it for good…

Either way, I’m no longer interested…

7. madnessHero

@4 yeah the gaming industry as we know it would’ve ceased to exist if ninja theory got their hands on another beloved series that got outsourced