Batman: Arkham World mention reference “good fun only,” says Warner

Tuesday, 13th December 2011 13:53 GMT By Johnny Cullen

The mention of Batman: Arkham World during an acceptance speech for Arkham City was a joke, publisher Warner has told VG247.

Whilst accepting his Character of the Year award at the VGAs this past weekend, Joker held a script titled “Batman: Arkham World” with a Rocksteady logo on the back.

The developer announced Arkham City at the 2009 VGAs, which may have added weight to Arkham Universe as a tease. Turns out it was all in good jest.

“What was referenced in Rocksteady’s acceptance speech was added in good fun only,” a Warner rep told us via email this lunchtime.

Batman: Arkham City picked up three VGAs on Sunday besides Character of the Year: Best Action Adventure Game, Best Xbox 360 Game, and Best Adapted Video Game.

1. Gama_888

Aaaahhhhhhhh :(

2. YoungZer0

Ahahahahaahahaha, so funny.

3. DSB

You can say what you want about those teasers, but gamers are just SO fucking easy.

Nevermind the fact that Arkham World is an oxymoron :P

4. Gurdil

@3 How is that an oxymoron? Arkham is a name and world doesn’t necessarily means planet… Ok maybe I’m asking just for fun and arguing for naught but still, that’s the way I am :P

5. Edo

#4 It’s not an oxymoron.

6. DSB

Bastard! Fair enough :P I guess it’s not the best defined oxymoron. For people with a brain it should still have been pretty obvious though.

It is at the very least a logical paradox though.

7. Edo

#6 You just invented a new type of oxymoron – the not quite oxymoron.

8. Gurdil

@DSB Yeah I got what you meant, I just have fun being annoying sometimes :P
    @Edo lol good one

9. IL DUCE

Just the fact that Warner had to issue a statement on this matter is baffling…it was clearly a joke, the character’s name is The Joker for f–k’s sake…

I guess its just goes to show ya…can’t even joke in this industry without people interpretting it as facts…

And yeah I’d hope they would be more creative than naming the next game Arkham World…

10. DSB

@8 I geddit, otherwise I wouldn’t have bothered to respond.

@7 I think it’s been around for a while. People use them every day, you just gave it a name :P

11. Gurdil

@9 No need to be so disdainful… oO
    First, Arkham World could have been a working title (and its silliness would have been tongue-in-cheek). Second, no one said it was a fact, people just wondered and sometimes hoped, that’s it. Lighten up, this industry is about bringing fun to people even if so-called hardcore gamers tend to forget that…

12. NeoSquall

@11 You’re wrong.

This industry is all about “leet players” bitching about how casuals are ruining their precious toys and people whining because their favorite series didn’t innovate in years (or has innovated too much).

13. NeoSquall

I hereby announce that my previous comment was a joke.

/heh

14. Takeshi

Damn, you don’t joke about this stuff. Seriously, you guys are cruel.

15. Paladin_Rage

Totally seen that comming. Arkham State, well I could believe in this one. Arkham Continent… Surely, this would require years of hard work, but okay. Arkham World… No, just no.