U-Turn: Peter Moore didn’t execute Dreamcast

Friday, 9th December 2011 01:39 GMT By Brenna Hillier

EA COO Peter Moore, anecdotally known as the man who pulled the plug on Sega’s beloved final console, the Dreamcast, has explained it wasn’t his decision to make.

Speaking to IndustryGamers, the former Sega executive explained a misunderstanding is behind the widespread belief that he was the one to pull the trigger – or rather, “make the call”.

“The idea of ‘making the call’ came out of an interview with Keith Stuart of The Guardian – when I said making the call, I was actually referring to the telephone call,” he explained.

“He interpreted that as making the decision, and I was very much a part of the decision, but it certainly wasn’t just me telling the Japanese team that we need to get out of the console business.”

Moore explained that a number of Sega executives from offices around the world had agreed to discontinue the Dreamcast, but it fell to him to tell the press.

“My comment about making the call was that I had to announce – with several hundred journalists on the call, and I shall never forget it – that we were moving on and will not be selling hardware anymore and will be disposing of existing inventory as we transition to third-party publishing,” he said.

As for why the Dreamcast folded, Moore was blunt.

“It’s a difficult early period when you’re selling hardware because you’re not making a lot of money, and in some instances you’re losing money. We need to build an installed base and we just couldn’t get there,” he said.

After 15 years as one of two or three major players on the console hardware scene, Sega’s discontinuation of the Dreamcast in 2011 marked its exit from the ranks of platform holders. Despite its failure to sell, many gamers nurture a soft-spot for the Dreamcast, which boasted many forward-thinking features like online connectivity, DLC, and in-game voice chat. Working consoles, replacement parts and games are hotly pursued by collectors, and homebrew developers are still producing games and ports for the system

1. Ashwin

“Sega’s discontinuation of the Dreamcast in 2011.”

I think you meant 2001, Brenna.

2. Ireland Michael

Just consider, 90% of the features the Dreamcast pioneered wouldn’t even become standard in gaming for at least another 5 years after its release.

Ahead of its time is an understatement.

3. Gurdil

I love my Dreamcast, still play it on occasion! It’s sad this great console never took off, I wonder what the console market would look like nowadays…

4. Deacon

Wishing I had never sold mine…

5. viralshag

If this had taken off, I seriously believe the current gen we enjoy now would have already come and gone…. and who knows what wonderful things we would of had by now.

It was an amazing machine and no one can really be blamed for it not getting the attention it deserved, people just didn’t take to it immediately. Such a shame.

6. Joe Musashi

It was a good machine. It failed commercially for 3 key reasons:

EA snubbed it

Pirates made selfbooting releases so unmodded consoles could play pirated games (thanks to some bootstrap code on an official magazine’s coverdisk)

Sega failed to market it effectively

Ultimately, Sega are responsible for all three of those reasons. And you’ve got to wonder what Peter Moore’s role in all that was.

JM

7. Goffee

If only they’d sorted out the clunky fan and whirry drive (or was it the other way around) – and not sponsored Arsenal! etc, etc, etc,

Was lovely tho!

8. Stephany Nunneley

Poor Peter. He will never be able to escape this, no matter how many times he tries to explain it. He tried back in 2009 as well: http://www.vg247.com/2010/01/14/sega-wanted-dreamcast-to-be-compaitble-with-original-xbox/

“The decision was made, from Japan, to pull the plug and begin the transition to becoming a multi-platform third party developer and publisher. We at SOA, while disappointed, were in full agreement that this was the only real course of action, and it was with a heavy heart that I hosted the conference call on January 31st, 2001, announcing that Sega was ceasing manufacturing of the Dreamcast console. The call on the decision was made by SOJ. The conference call to announce the decision was conducted by SOA.”

Ultimately, it was ahead of its time, and while a lot of people think it was shit, I LOVED mine. It is sitting next to my NES and Atari 2600 in the closet. :(

9. Gheritt White