Alan Wake XBLA isn’t fully-fledged AW2, says Remedy

Tuesday, 6th December 2011 10:19 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Just in case you didn’t get it before, Remedy has reiterated its upcoming Alan Wake XBLA title, to be shown for the first time at the VGAs this weekend, is not a full Alan Wake 2.

The Finnish studio made the remarks after event organiser Geoff Keighley said on Major Nelson’s latest podcast yesterday the XBLA game was “effectively” AW2.

Remedy, while noting the complement the GTTV presenter gave, was keen to set the record straight in case any confusion arose.

“I’m very glad that he’s excited about it, he’s obviously saying very nice things and we’re proud of the game,” said MikkiRMD, aka Remedy’s senior writer Mikko Rautalahti, on the developer’s forums.

“However, I think that since he invokes the “Alan Wake 2″ name, I should reiterate what we’ve said all along: this new game is not Alan Wake 2, and if we intended it to be that, we’d have named it that. (I know he means it as a compliment, and I appreciate that, I just don’t want there to be any confusion about it.).”

Rautalahti’s remarks are similar to those of the studio’s head of franchise Oskari Hakkinen, who said when it was announced that more Wake was coming that it wouldn’t be a full sequel.

Alan Wake XBLA, rumoured to be subtitled Night Springs, is unveiled this Saturday.

1. StolenGlory

…to the surprise of approximately nobody.

When the fuck will people stop bending their ears to Geoff Keighley and his over excitable hypre-trap?

2. Mike W

This is quite disturbing, so this is just another DLC pack?

3. freedoms_stain

I wonder if it’ll be possible to complete 90% of Alan Wake (not) 2 by sprinting through every level dropping the occasional flare or flashbang, cus that was such a fun mechanic in the original…

4. Freek

Pretty funny that Keighley’s hype bullshit is getting so absurd even the developer is starting to feel uncomfortable.

5. _LarZen_

Need more Alan Wake….like..ages ago!!

6. ManuOtaku

I really did like Alan Wake a lot, remind me of my first time playing alone in the dark so many years ago, what i did like about the game was the dark atmosphere, great story and good gameplay mechanics, having said that iam happy and sad at the same time with this news, happy becuase we will have more alan wake, and sad because it is not alan wake 2.

7. Mike W

@6 While Alan Wake was a decent game, I felt the story fell flat on its face.