PlayStation 3 turns five in Japan today

Friday, 11th November 2011 19:01 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

PlayStation 3 is five today in Japan, where it released on November 11, 2006. The system will turn five in North American on November 17, and it will celebrate its birthday in Europe on March 23, 2012. Now, go have some cake to celebrate. Thanks, Gematsu. [pic]

1. Razor

A terrible start, but well done Sony for learning lessons and turning the PS3 into a solid machine. Online still woefully lacking, but hopefully PS4 will address this.

If Sony learn all of the lessons from PS3 and build PS4 like they’ve approached and built Vita, PS4 should be my most anticipated machine ever.

2. Erthazus

Agree with Razor.

+ i hope there will be less hardware issues.

Happy birthday.

3. ultramega

What’s this!?! Is the world coming to an end!?! I see Razor not trolling a Sony article! No waiiiiiiiiiii!

:P

Just jokes.

Happy Birthday, PS3! Hopefully, like Razor said, the next launch is more successful! Everything devs have said about the PS Vita is positive (at least from what I have seen), so it looks like Sony has indeed learned their lesson.

4. TD_Monstrous69

My system itself is about a year old (and the 1st one I sold to a friend is about 3), so I guess I will celebrate its Birthday by going to play some Battlefield 3 online. Also, I do agree with Razor (for most parts). Though I think if anything, Vita might be an indication for where Sony might be going with the PS4 as far as features and funtionality (namingly, a better menu layout than the Xcross Media Bar, dedicated Apps for social media sites like Facebook and Twitter [and hopefully for internet radio sites], and support for cross game chat). But still, the PS3 has weathered the early storm that it was caught in around its first years of launch, and has emerged a great machine with maybe the best slew of first party games this generation. For this, they deserve a celebration for its 5 years in existence. Happy Birthday PS3, now I just hope your next gen brother Playstation 4, doesn’t come for at least another couple of years.

5. Erthazus

“dedicated Apps for social media sites like Facebook and Twitter”

fuck this. Alright? I don’t want this social crap in my games.

6. spiderLAW

Congratz Sony. Happy Birthday. Hopefully by your 7th birthday we will be seeing the PS4 coming into town.

7. Gama_888