Skyrim’s second bonus race leaked

Sunday, 6th November 2011 23:51 GMT By Brenna Hillier

You know how The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim has vampires as a bonus race? Well, it has something else, too – something Bethesda’s PR apparently doesn’t want you to know. Spoilers through the break.

A pair of videos posted over the weekend and thoughtfully screengrabbed by Gamespy reveal the return of one of the franchise’s most requested bonus races: werewolves.

The videos were hastily shut down by Bethesda, and some outlets have removed reports referencing their inclusion. GameInformer’s deleted post made mention of a rumour that lycanthropy is offered to players who successfully complete the Companion quest line, as the screengrabs appear to support.

Speculation has linked the report to the British Board of Film Classification’s assessment of the game, which made mention of “a section where you make the choice whether to join a group of cannibals in eating human flesh”.

Bethesda has been cagey about the possibility of werewolves appearing in Skyrim; since inclusion in Morrowind expansion Bloodmoon, the bonus race has been a favourite of series fans.

Skyrim releases on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on November 11.

Thanks, Gamefront.

1. OrbitMonkey

Please let their be a Twilight pisstake subplot!!!

2. Charlie Sheen

ohhhhh shit im sorry if i spoilt anything with the first glitch on skyrim forum

3. Ireland Michael

When I saw they were bringing back vampires, my first thought was “Oh man, I really hope they bring back werewolves as well…”

So… yay!

*does a happy dance*

4. OrbitMonkey

@2 Nobody cares what you say.
    Only Joking!! *kisses*

5. Charlie Sheen

@4 ok :( *forever alone*

6. OrbitMonkey

@Charlie *extra kisses*

7. Colin Gallacher

@5 & 6 *socially awkward group man hug* :D

8. OrbitMonkey

*drops pants*

9. Charlie Sheen

HAHAHAHA Orbit you are the man!!!!!!!

10. Colin Gallacher

I…I think…I think I left something over there. *RUNS*

11. Talkar

Who are you people? And where’s my horse?

12. Telepathic.Geometry

What’s so good about this race then can someone tell me? Or vampires for that matter…

13. Ireland Michael

@12 It’s just a fun change of pace. You know, the whole “role playing” part of it being a Role Playing Game.

14. Telepathic.Geometry

Well yeah, but what I’m trying to say is how does the game play differently? I mean do NPCs treat you differently? Do new quests unlock? Is there a different ending etc. That kinda thing…

15. OrbitMonkey

@Telepathic. In *Wolf mode* you get to lick your balls?

16. Ireland Michael

@14 Hard to say about the ending until the game comes out, but in-game, there’s plenty of the obvious gameplay changes you’d expect from being in these forms..

Vampires for instance, are hurt by day-light, can only go out at night, might take more damage from certain elements. Appearance will change, and people will likely react different to you as well.

In Oblivion, you could feed on innocent people to sustain your energy, received stat boosts, and new abilities, and the stronger you became, the more people would notice and run from you.

17. Dralen

*Sigh* It’s going to be another long week.

18. Dralen

From what I understand the vampires differ depending on the region they come from, or at least that’s how it was explained in the lore from Oblivion. The vampires in cyrodiil could feed to fit into society and also were able to walk in sunlight for a time. I have no idea how the vampires in Skyrim will play out.

And also Michael; it was actually the less vampires fed the stronger they became (In Oblivion). However, they would then lose the ability to fit into society and would also lose the ability to walk in sunlight if they didn’t feed.

19. jacobvandy

“Bonus races?” WTF are you on about? And werewolves were all but confirmed as far back as E3 when Bethesda devs were straight up asked about it and gave the ol’ “we’re not talking about that.”

20. revolting

Yeah, I’m not sure why these are being referred to as bonus races… They’re not races as such, get bitten by either one, and there’s a chance you will turn. They’ve been “secret” optional paths in the last few TES games, (werewolves less secret in the Bloodmoon expansion, obviously, which was also very Nord-centric) so if anything it would be more of a surprise if they were NOT present. They were a fun little easter-egg style secret which became more fleshed out with actual content and objectives with each TES game. Fun to have happen to you, but also entirely game-changing if you had any long term goals.

21. absolutezero

What does an Argonian werewolf look like?

22. Phoenixblight

Like a werewolf. It just changes your overall model it doesn’t do a merging of two models.

23. fearmonkey

The only thing I didn’t do in Oblivion was the vampire questline. So, in honor of Skyrim, I started playing again with a different character and became a vampire. I’m glad I did this, it’s been fun. I have the vile lair but I’m doing the quest to rid myself of vampirism to experience it.
    Morrowind’s Bloodmoon was my favorite expansion, so It’s exciting to know that Skyrim has the possibilities of being a werewolf and a Vampire.