Call of Duty Elite PC launch delayed – details

Friday, 4th November 2011 02:56 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Activision has pushed back the PC launch of social network Call of Duty Elite, which releases on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 alongside Modern Warfare 3 next week.

“We’re as committed as ever to the PC, but the need to ensure a safe PC environment is greater than ever. It’s really extensive,” Beachhead Studio head Chacko Sonny said in a Q&A posted on community manager Dan Amirch’s blog.

“We need more time to get there, so Elite on PC will not launch on Day One.”

Sonny said Beachhead is working hard to get the PC version out as soon as possible, but can’t launch until the service is “Elite as it’s meant to be”.

“The issue here is that the PC is an insecure platform. Without a central, trusted resource for stats, a lot of our competition features become unfair. We can’t give away prizes when people can easily cheat their stats. Leaderboards are less fun when a lot of the users are there unfairly,” he explained.

Call of Duty: Elite is a two-tiered social network with a premium subscription service offering extra features including increased clan support. The console version launches alongside Modern Warfare 3 on November 8.

Thanks, Gamespy.

1. DEADEYES

Lol, they told us – PC gamers and their loyalty fans, too much about this system and now just say “hey, it’s not finish so wait mate”.

“The issue here is that the PC is an insecure platform” -> this is so funny!
    So, everyday he’s working and fuking on consoles, right?

2. G1GAHURTZ

This, also: (from the link)

__________________________________
    Dan: A year’s premium membership to Elite is one of the most prominent elements of MW3′s Hardened Edition, but there is no PC version of HE available for preorder. Does that mean there is no paid PC membership to Elite?

Noah: As Chacko mentioned, not being able to trust stats is a big problem for our design. Because of this, we had to re-imagine Elite for PC. Elite for PC will be about access to your own stats, or those of your friends. Basically establishing a circle of trust. And because it will have some reduced functionality, it will be free for everyone.
    __________________________________

It’s cool that they’re seemingly putting so much attention into stopping cheats. I wonder if they could just use a similar system to Battle.net, which doesn’t appear to have as big of a problem with cheats as previous CoD games.

3. Ireland Michael

@2 Hahahaha! Oh jesus, wow, you really ARE the most hypocritical, bullshitting fanboy on the planet, aren’t you?

Promised things in Battlefield 3 don’t work properly launch… OMG TRAGIC LAUNCH! Call of Duty can’t delivered promised features at launch, oh, no big deal.

The PC version will be *lacking* features over the console version? Hahahaha! Oh jesus Activision, you crack me up.

The fact that they’re postponing it is a moot point. It still isn’t complete and working as intended at launch. Meanwhile, 90% of BF3′s problems (which affected less than 5% of& the player base) have already been resolved a week in, and it still remains as feature complete as promised.

It’ll be fucking hilarious if the MW3 servers fall apart on launch day…

4. OrbitMonkey

^ Schadenfreude is not big, or clever.

5. DEADEYES

Activision and its “minions” are so scaring now, because they can’t bring the “promise” as promised!

6. G1GAHURTZ

@4: LOL!!!!

Yes, indeed.

I believe low self esteem and envy are the catalysts to such deranged behaviour.

Of course, what these lonely, depressed types fail to realise is that while certain companies have no problem taking peoples money for an unfinished product, at least Acti have the decency to not release it until it’s finished, then give it away for free when it is ready.

7. Maximum Payne

@6 Will see if it is going to be free.

8. GrimRita

Let me get this right. A WEEK before launch, they finally discovered this?! My god, what a bunch of morons. PC Gamers dont really care about a shoddy port tbh.

9. freedoms_stain

Sometimes the mistaken belief of society at large that gaming is largely the pursuit of children is perfectly understandable.

10. UKTomm

Can’t say I’m not surprised but they’ve had a completely separate studio working solely on Elite. How can they not be ready?

11. Ireland Michael

@6 And the PC version is a incomplete product?

Oh, that’s right, it’s only incomplete if it’s Battlefield, right?

Hahahaha. You’re fucking hilarious.

“At least…” Blah blah blah. You’re a raging Call of Duty cock-sucker who thinks minor alterations to existing gameplay is “innovative”. You’ve turned into one giant, raging parody of everything you think you’re not, and you’re the only person on this entire website who doesn’t see it.

You’re making TEA look a rational, objective human being lately.

12. G1GAHURTZ

Hahaha!

Foul mouthed rage boy is getting desperate!

LOL!!!!!!!!!

13. SplatteredHouse

“Elite for PC will be about access to your own stats, or those of your friends. Basically establishing a circle of trust. And because it will have some reduced functionality, it will be free for everyone.”

I did not realise all of this that I read here today, before.

“With MW3, you are going to see us start to experiment with different challenges, such as “flag defenders that stay alive” or “snipers that are good with the knife” – these are challenges that give you a chance to try a new style of play.”

This is very interesting. I like the idea of the developer proactively incentivising people to grow experience and skill of pinpointed roles and situations in the game, so that the gameplay becomes more fluid and people get to add to their arsenal of existing behaviour and try more of what the game has to offer, rather than just relying on their usual approach, game-in, game-out.

14. viralshag

@13, Even though it’s not exactly the same thing, I thought the contracts in BLOPS was a good way to incentivize people to try out new weapons and stuff too.

It might have been in previous CoD games but I can’t remember that far back tbh.

15. DSB

Well to compare, BF3 chose to launch without getting Battlelog sorted.

16. DarkElfa

This whole thing stinks of them taking advantage of the huge fallout over Battlelog.

They remove it till after launch the draw in teh usual suspects, then they put it in later to the tune of “too bad/so sad”.

17. DarkElfa

Also, the tagline “Elites as it’s meant to be” made me want to punch babies.

18. DSB

I’m not so sure of that Elfa. If they delay Elite, then it’s going to mean two things. First it needs to be perfect at launch. The second a major bug hits, people are going to be crying “BATTLELOG FAIL!” – And since theirs is a freemium product, it would be ten times as fierce.

Secondly, delaying it, and perfecting it, means they have to spend more money. They have to do all the things that DICE didn’t do, like checking to see if any antivirus might fuck it up, or whether it will run perfectly with Steam.

For a long time playing Bad Company 2, I had to disable the Steam overlay so Punkbuster wouldn’t call me a cheater. It was ridiculous.

19. DarkElfa

@18, true, though if any company manages to launch something prefect, ever, It’ll suck all the joy out of my life.

20. viralshag

@18, I would have thought that it being a free product would mean people are more relaxed about it. As far as I’m aware you don’t need Elite to play MW3, right? I thought it was just a stat tracking service that works alongside the game?

I can understand having issues when it’s something that is an integral part to playing the game but when it’s a side service, which is also free, it seems a much to complain about it having issues.

21. DSB

@19 It does happen man. Give me an hour and I’ll think of a game that did, once upon a time :P

@20 I’m honestly not sure how it works, I didn’t try the beta.

I think it’s universal that people want their moneys worth, and I’m pretty sure that the people who are just waiting for MW3 to fail, are going to chime in if those people start raging about it.

It sounds like a bit more than a stat tracker to me though. You got replays for one thing, which is something that I’m really missing from BF3, and apparently lots of other stuff. That’s all I know :D

22. viralshag

@21, I didn’t try it either. But that’s what I’m getting at, it’s free so you can’t really get any money’s worth out of it I would have thought? You will no doubt have the ragers and complainers with something to say.

Replays would be great in BF3. Last night, I was waiting to spawn on a mate and watching him on the screen just about to run into a building for some cover and pretty much the entire building front fell on top of him and killed him. It was hilarious.

23. DSB

Well it’s freemium, so people can subscribe to the extra features for money. I don’t know if they have to do so beforehand or not.

And the guys who bought the PRESTIGE ULTRA SPACE MARINE pack get a year free, so won’t they have plenty of room to complain?

And yeah, totally. With a game as gorgeous as BF3, you really should add replays. Of course they also have the added bonus that you can quite clearly see whether someone is actually cheating, or just playing well.

You can learn a lot from seeing yourself get pwned.

I’ve actually been accused of cheating while doing well in MW2. It makes it a lot easier to just go “Check the killcam, stupid”. There’s a world of difference between player input and an aimbot.

24. G1GAHURTZ

I took part in the Elite beta.

CoD Elite is a combination of a number of different things.

Yeah, it tracks stats (k/d, weapon performance, accuracy, etc), but it allows allows you to check all sorts of other detailed data. For example, from your recent games, you can check everything that happened: All your kills/deaths, when they happened, against who, their rank, check their stats, what weapon you/they used, etc.

You can also compare all sorts of stats/data with any other CoD player, set up your own leaderboards, view other people’s loadouts/perks, etc.

You can edit your loadouts outside of the game, or even copy other people’s loadouts from forums, etc, and then push them to the game, so that the next time you load it up, you can use them right away.

You can also connect with like minded people. So if you want to arrange games with people who are only over the age of 35, who have a university degree and eat salmon sandwiches, you should be able to find them without too much difficulty.

You can also use it to set up tournaments by posting custom games that you designed in private matches, so that others in your group or clan can use them.

There’s also the standard community features and social networking stuff.

You can also use it to post/view clips from theater mode.

Actually, there’s loads of stuff that you can do. And that’s all before you get to the paid content.

So if they’re giving all this for free, it’s not a bad deal at all.

See a pre-beta walkthrough here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdqvsZRbDuU

25. tmac2011

so0me reason i thought they meant the entire game was delayed. i would have been like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO