Resident Evil 4 and 5 didn’t desert horror, were “different kinds of scary experiences”

Tuesday, 1st November 2011 13:39 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Capcom’s Tsukasa Takenaka has stressed the firm didn’t ignore Resident Evil’s horror roots in the fourth and fifth installments in series, but instead explored a more divergent horror with the addition of pulse pounding action.

Speaking in an interview with Eurogamer, Takenaka said he believed there was a “confused messaging” with what the firm tried to accomplish in both Resident Evil 4 and 5.

“I don’t think 4 and 5 are not horror games,” he said. “What we were trying to do with those games is explore different kinds of horror. For instance, Resident Evil 4 is not about zombies. It’s about the Ganados speaking in human words and coming at you with weapons. That’s a different kind of horrific thing than zombies.

“With Resident Evil 5 it was more about the light and darkness and these new things we were finally able to do with the hardware to see the contrast in the environments and those different types of surprising and interesting experiences. It was a kind of new horror.

“It’s not so much that we were going away from horror and towards action. It’s more that we were trying to do different kinds of scary experiences. That’s maybe something that’s got a little confused in terms of the messaging.”

Back at E3 in June, a Capcom representative noted that fans preferred the more horror-driven style of the series, and having listened to what the fans want, Capcom would indeed be making horror the focus of the next iteration of the series.

“We know that alot of fans want more horror back for the next one,” said the rep. “The development team knows that as well and we read a lot of comments, messageboards, and ask for feedback, and there was a lot of critisism about RE5′s focus on action.”

“I think that you’ll like the direction the dev team is shifting for the next one.”

In a sense reiteration what the rep said at E3, Takenaka said Capcom takes user feedback seriously, and what the fans want is “very important” to the firm, as it’s “always listening” and “making use of” any suggestions or complaints it receives.

However, when Eurogamer asked Takenaka about Resident Evil 6, all he would say was: “I don’t know. What’s Resident Evil 6?”

In the meantime, until it’s officially announced, fans can look forward to Resident Evil: Revelations on 3DS and Operation Raccoon City on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 – both of which release in early 2012.

1. Ireland Michael

4 was fine. It’s 5 that everyone has the problem with.

2. DarkElfa

I stopped playing after code Veronica and RE0. It just seemed like they lost focus. For my money, 2 was still one of the best original RE playthroughs ever.

Though RE0 had some severely wicked moments, especially in the beginning. I still remember the red screamers. To quote WWZ’s Todd Wainio, “…when they get back up…”

3. Stephany Nunneley

I still remember the dread – albeit lovely, delicious, scary dread – going through a door would cause.

Yeah, it was a bit annoying sometimes how long it took for those loading screens to finish, but the thought of what may or may not be behind the door upon loading definitely got my blood pumping.

4. The_Red

After RE3, the series died for me. RE4 was a good game but a horrible RE title IMO. It lost 2 things: Feel of RE1/2 and what made them scary / interesting in their own way.

5. mojo

“different kinds of scary experiences”?

yeah the non-scary kind.
    shitheads.

6. DarkElfa

@5, I feel your pain man, they went in a separate direction that the movies but into equally as shitty territory.

I mean seriously, what Anglophile came up with “scary natives” as an enemy?! I can see board meeting now.

“Hey, I know zombies are cool and everything, but you know what really scares gamers? Ethnic people!”

7. GwynbleiddiuM

Apparently Capcom has decided to do the same shit with RE6, sugar coating his crap and make us feel we were the one that playing the games wrong..

@Stephany Yeah, 1 and 2 were the best, even 3 had many scary elements to it specially the times Nemesis suddenly popped in front of you, oh the good joy of Resident Evil, long dead, long …

It’s actually really embarrassing that they can’t do anything to bring back what was awesome about RE. I have tons of ideas about how this can be better from the stupid crappy releases they have now across all of the platforms.

8. DarkElfa

Zombies. Zombies are what was awesome about RE.

9. mojo

may i correct u, sir: slow zombies! slow! Scary as shit.

Running, shooting, jumping and chainsaw wielding zombie wannabes dont scare anyone at all.

10. Clupula

RE4 is the hi-light of the series. It was still scary, but it got rid of that awful antiquated tank controls. RE5, on the other hand, went way too far into the action genre and did not have a single scary moment. If anything, I think they should do what they did in the “Lost in Nightmares” DLC and keep it scary, but keep the RE4/RE5 controls.

RE1 and RECVX were great, but playing them now, the controls are unbearable. Before RE4 came out, I was tired of the series. It was just the same thing over and over again. Slow zombies. Tank controls. Umbrella. The series needed to get away from those things. Now, it’s waves of enemies and action galore. It needs to get away from those things too.

Every few iterations, they should change up the series a bit, but keep it within the realm of horror.

11. mojo

completely disagree with you there.

retrospective 4 and 5 where games like any other game.
    For me they dont stand out from the mass.
    Not so with the early games.

12. DuckOfDestiny

“What we were trying to do with those games is explore different kinds of horror.”

By that he means the kind of horror that actually isn’t scary.

13. triggerhappy

@ DarkElfa: “I wish they’d go back to zombies and back to pre-rendered environments. Can you imagine what today’s hardware could do with pre-rendered environments and nearly everything in the scene going into just the characters? They could damn near go photo realistic.”

What you said. Right there. That. I’ve been thinkihg this for a long time now. It could be beautiful. Sadly something like that would probably never happen :( Makes me sad :( :(

Remember back in the RE Remake & RE Zero days they were thinking about remaking 2 & 3 aswell. When they announced they were not following through on that… one of the most dissapointing things I’ve ever heard.

14. DaMan

4 was definetely the most well made RE game. It strongly helped shape modern tps, like Gears and Uncharted, both of which followed in Capcom’s footsteps. It was one of the very first games which layed the foundations for smooth transitioning between cutscenes and gameplay and fun use of Qtes. It was one of the most important games ever made. .

3 had the best Mercs mini game, the most replay value, and overall the most fun out of the old ones. Only similar game that came close was the first Dino Crisis.

None of the Resi were actually scary. The only moments were when the bosses showed up, third game was pretty much the best in that regard too.

15. triggerhappy

3 was definitely the best. Best story, best bosses and best scares. SSSSTTARRRRSSSS!!! I played 3 not that long ago on an emulator, atmosphere & immersion wise it still holds up today I’d say.

16. HeavyD-Love

Gamecube RE1 remake is my favorite. All we need is that brought to PSN/XBL with HD/widescreen support.