Uncharted 3 beaten in 3hrs 8mins

Thursday, 27th October 2011 11:24 GMT By Stace Harman

Game director Justin Richmond has told Official PlayStation Magazine that the time was clocked up by a Naughty Dog tester who had all of the solutions to the puzzles and was playing on very easy difficulty.

Naughty Dog’s upcoming adventure Uncharted 3: Drake’s deception has been completed in just three hours and eight minutes by a games tester. The speed run apparently had a technical purpose: to test infrastructure elements such as that the trophies unlock correctly and the credits roll at the end of the game.

Three hours is impressive, though perhaps not so much when compared to similar speed run efforts on Skyrim – which was completed by one QA tester in just 2:16:10 – and the notoriously difficult Dark Souls which took an incredible 1:26:28. Videos of that last feat can be seen elsewhere on the site.

That sounds like a challenge to me.

Thanks, EG.

1. G1GAHURTZ

Don’t underestimate gamers.

2. Moonwalker1982

I just don’t understand reports like this, if its for certain purposes, keep it to yourself developers. People are only gonna shittalk about this and nothing good ever comes from it.

3. mojo

“Speaking of the Naughty Dog tester’s run through Uncharted 3, Richmond said “I don’t think anyone else in the world will be able to do that for a long time”.

10 bucks on Sunday.

4. Erthazus

Just skip all the cut scenes.

BAZINGA!

5. OrbitMonkey

@4 lol, this ain’t Metal Gear :)

6. wishdokta

Me always amused about ‘how many hours’ a game would last.
    For my part, I dip into level design and enjoy playing a game. Am never near at those announced times at all.

7. Moonwalker1982

Me neither, friends of mine finished Gears 3′s campaign in like 6 hours. I’m around the 6,5 hours now and i have two acts(each having 5 or 6 chapters) to go.

8. revsouly

Intended or not publishing times before the game is out feels like I’m being hurried.
    For me, the hype is drained quite a bit when I read about “finish/complete” times.
    I’ll have to agree with #2, developers keep this stuff to yourselves at least until several months after launch, then maybe people will go in trying to reach that specific time.

As an adult gamer I want to enjoy any game time I can get & that includes not having a timer in the back of my mind while I play.

9. Clupula

@5 – and I know now you’ve never played a Metal Gear game (except maybe MGS2).

10. OrbitMonkey

@9,Yep… God that final scene after defeating Big Boss :/

11. Ireland Michael

Christ people, don’t read into shit so much.

This is a speed-run time, done as a bit of fun. It’s obviously not meant as a clear indicator of the actual length of the game.

12. neon6

i stopped reading at very easy difficulty.

13. HeavyD-Love

@2 Couldn’t agree more.

This type of information should not be made public.

14. Noodlemanny

Why not? Its just some interesting information. Like knowing the average amount of hairs you have on your head. Theres nothing inherently wrong with it at all. If people didn’t ‘shittalk’ about this they’d find something else to shit talk about.

15. ManuOtaku

For one second i almost skip over this topic, knowing full well this is the most relevant news of the week >_> , <_< ******rolls eyes******

16. HeavyD-Love

because it’s pointless and can ONLY contribute to mis-leading people into thinking the game is short. What’s the benefit? What’s the point in releasing this info?

Yes, you and I know it’s a speed run. But we all know some people ONLY read headlines and rumors spread quickly these days. Why risk spreading EVEN POTENTIAL negative information?

17. Ireland Michael

@16 “because it’s pointless and can ONLY contribute to mis-leading people into thinking the game is short.”

Only if you’re an idiot and can’t read past a title.

This is why we can’t have nice things.

18. HeavyD-Love

^My point exactly. And Lord knows this world has plenty of idiots. You always have to think lowest common denominator when going public.

19. Dannybuoy

Speed runs are for shits and giggles. We all know that

20. Ireland Michael

@18 Only if you’re promoting Call of Duty.

21. Isaaclarke37

I won’t believe any of this, something was similar to that said about Arkham City being 25 hours excluding challenge maps and Catwoman then it turned out to be beaten in 10 hours.

I am gonna have to see both for myself.

22. Phoenixblight

Not in playthrough testing. In fact speed runners get better pay and far better job security than the regular testers because their job entails testing to make sure the game is functinal in the shortest amount of time.

23. Psychotext

I’d wager an experienced speed runner could do it in under 2.5… they’re crazy like that.