Mass Effect 3 demo and beta confirmed for January

Friday, 21st October 2011 01:31 GMT By Brenna Hillier

BioWare has announced a single player demo and multiplayer beta ahead of Mass Effect 3′s launch next year.

The game’s official Twitter noted a January demo with both single and multiplayer features, but gave no details on platform availability.

A PlayStation 3 multiplayer beta demo was outed earlier today by a Battlefield 3 unboxing video, embedded below, on the back of the bundled Online Pass. BioWare has since confirmed that early access to the beta will be granted with all new copies of the game on all three platforms.

A firm date for the demo and early access beta is to be announced in November, including via the Battlefield 3 in-game ticker. Battlefield 3 owners will be automatically granted access based on the EA.com account associated with the new copy, rather than through code redemption. More options for gaining access to the beta will be announced in November and December.

The Battlefield 3 pass also grants access to an exclusive set of N7 dogtags in Battlefield 3.

Mass Effect 3 will also feature an Online Pass system. BioWare recently detailed the game’s long-rumoured multiplayer.

Mass Effect 3 is expected on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in March 2012.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. FredEffinChopin

Oooh, my buddy is buying this game and hates RPGs. Hopefully I can muscle in on this.

2. osric90

Can’t wait. Mass Effect 2 was easily the game I most enjoyed in the recent years. But it had huge flaws too. I hope Mass Effect 3 improves facial animation, uses different animations for male and female characters and is always presented in real time (Mass Effect 2 prerendered cutscenes were awful, seriously).

3. Takeshi

Looking most forward to the singleplayer, I only bother with multiplayer when that’s the only option. Still, been enjoying Uncharted multi so maybe Mass Effect could be fun too? Though Mass Effect is forthmost a Can’t wait till I get my hands on ME3, hopefully that demo is going to get played a lot.

4. OrbitMonkey

Hmmmm…. Good reason to get BF3 I guess…. ;)

5. Maximum Payne

This is getting annoying with all those beta…

6. GrimRita

Credit to EA for offering some value to their games by giving those who purchased new(against those who purchased Pre-owned)access(probably by 2 days!) access to a demo of a beta ;)

7. Frank17

@2 r u just getting off a three day crack binge? Me2 was a amazing game… game of the year if I’m not mistaken… facial animation problems? Wow u need to b punched in the throat