GSC – S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 to have always-on DRM

Saturday, 8th October 2011 17:44 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

In an interview with Ukrainian site KP, GSC Game World studio head Sergey Grigorovich explained how the DRM would work in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 when it is released.

According to Grigorovich, in order to combat piracy, the DRM will allow files from the game to download in increments as the gamer progresses, meaning folks will need a constant internet connection in order to play.

“Part of the content will be located on the server and downloaded as the game progresses,” he said. “Permanent internet access is required. Text information, code and quests will be loaded through that connection. Software piracy is an issue for us, we try to fight it, but within reason.

“If people can not afford a licensed version, it is to our advantage if they download a pirated copy, and then want to buy a license. In Ukraine, there are different products that people love so much that they buy a license in principle. We want to create just such a product.”

Announced back in August of last year, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 has yet to receive a firm release date, but it’s expected sometime in 2012.

Via DSO Gaming; thanks, D’toid.

1. XurrionHun

I hope this works out well for them. I’m definitely buying the game so it’s of no major concern to me but I hope it doesn’t back fire at them with a bad rep for the game.

2. Hunam

It’s weird. When you see EA or UBI doing this stuff you just balk with disgust, but with something like STALKER as much as I really want to hate on it, I’m not sure I can.

3. Maximum Payne

S.K.I.D.R.O.W.
    Jokes aside I could care less about this if PC version going to be great like BF3 one.

4. YoungZer0

“Permanent internet access is required. Text information, code and quests will be loaded through that connection. Software piracy is an issue for us, we try to fight it, but within reason.”

Nice Contradiction.

5. Hunam

Yeah, the “within reason” bit is a bit o.0 seeing as they’ve basically gone for the most hardcore DRM you can get.

6. Erthazus

You can’t blame them. The reason they do this… Despite even 4 million sales… There are a lot of piracy in Ukraine and Russian territories.

so you can’t blame them at all.

7. ruckus

Stalker benefited greatly from community mods. I hope that is still possible. I only bought any of the previous stalkers once I knew there was a chance of getting round the drm.

Hope it works out for them but I’m not buying in to it.

8. DaMan

Due to this game coming out in ukrainian shitholes (which account for a small percentage of sales anyway) we have to have DRM for everyone else, sorry.

I would be interested in seeing a link stating how much did the original sell in Russia and in in the rest of Europe or NA.

9. Christopher Jack

I’m not sure if most people who are willing to pirate are going to change their minds if they are unsuccessful at pirating & purchase the retail copy instead.

DRM seems like a pointless gesture, even when it does work, it doesn’t add anything to the publishers bottom-line, it only takes away & the bottom-line is most important(in the corporate world). Yes you may convert a few pirates into purchasing, but you’re also missing out on a lot more who don’t have a consistent internet connection

10. endgame

GSC wanna bet I’ll be able to play this with my internet connection turned off? and just because u’re so awesome I’ll just get it for free.

11. Dralen

I don’t know why they bother. Such a pointless waste of workload.

12. DSB

What a load of crap. It’s pathetic to see people give them a freebie just because they’re smaller than everybody else. So if you’re smaller, or based in Ukraine, you get to hassle your userbase?

If anything, larger companies invest more in their games, including advertising, which probably leads to even more piracy, meaning that they lose vastly greater quantities. They might have more capital than a small company, but capital disappears like dew in the sun the second you stop getting returns on your investments.

So if this is okay, then certainly Ubisoft and the others are twice as okay.

What a load of rubbish. If anything this sounds like a recipe for disaster. “Oh, you’re internet is slow? I guess you’ll just have to wait a bit for chapter 2 to load”.

This is certifiably not the way to go. CD Projekt Red are an independent, eastern european company, and they did it exactly the right way by not playing it like they’re a huge corporation who doesn’t give a fuck about the relationship to the user. Directly the opposite of what GSC is doing in this case.

I’ll pass!

*edit* I do think it will be very hard to pirate. Just as hard as it’ll be to play in 5 years when GSC can’t be arsed to support the server costs. And judging from how broken their titles are in general, I don’t reckon that they’ll be the ones to succesfully implement the next big step in cloud DRM.

13. YoungZer0

@6: I agree, because of some Latvians Pirates everybody should suffer. Hey, isn’t this game going to be released international? You know, like Skyrim for example? I don’t remember seeing Bethesda saying “Yeah, because of some countries we’re forced to include a stupid DRM that eats your Harddrive.”

@11: Agreed. The definition of recipe for a disaster.

They won’t see any support from me, that’s for sure. CD PR at least cares for their community. Releases immense patches for free that includes not only ridiculous changes, fixes and performance boosts, but also new quests. Never seen anything like this from GSC.

14. YoungZer0

Quote from Official STALKER Facebook Page:

“Stalkers: I understand you are all concered about this DRM “news” that was published. I will confirm its legitimacy next week. As far as I know this is just hearsay.”

15. OwnedWhenStoned

REALITY:

The real version will work and download the quests etc from the server.

The difference between pirated and genuine copies will soon be worked out.

Then pirated versions will then work.

The only people inconvenienced by this are legitimate customers and the devs themselves who have to code this nonsense.

This is how it always goes.

16. IL DUCE

I’m just glad I will be able to get my hands on the game for my 360 whenever it comes out.