DC Universe Online going free-to-play in October

Monday, 19th September 2011 15:11 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Sony Online Entertainment’s said that it’ll turning DC Universe Online free-to-play from October on both PC and PS3.

Speaking to IGN, SOE producer Lorin Jameson said the switch was not due to a decrease in players from the MMO, noting the game became much most money-costing than predicted

“In terms of ‘Is it a result in a drop in subs’ – absolutely not,” said Jameson.

“This is the right business model. If I can be honest, the game ended up costing a lot more than we thought it would, and this was our preferred business model from day one.”

Free players will gain access to the ongoing gameplay in DCUO, including Gotham City and Metropolis, as well as all raids and alerts. Players will also get purchasable downloadable game packs/updates, additional character slots, powers and thensome.

Premium players who have obtained the status from spending more than $5 in the game will get more more character slots than free players, more inventory slots and bigger cash limits, with the ability to purchase more downloadable adventure packs, additional character slots plus more.

Legendary players will get all the features and benefits from the two groups above, as well as all the DLC for no extra charge, more than 15 character slots, 80 inventory slots and being able to form leagues with no size restrictions.

Becoming a Legendary player will set you back $15 a month.

1. Lounds

Glad I didn’t buy this now. TF2 becoming F2P was a good thing though, helped grow the community, plus Orangebox must have sold close to 4Million easy.

2. blackdreamhunk

finally I don’t beleive dc online top of line mmo to be paid for 15 month. That is what happens when you make a console mmo.

just wonder how is going to compete gw2 and kotor

3. Thalius

Now(in october), i may buy DC Online…

4. Unlimax

Dude I truly love this word especially in MMO’s ” F2P F2P F2P ” !!

F2P for the win :D !

5. Erthazus

I said before that it’s a failure, so F2P for this game is inevitable.

6. Christopher Jack

@6, More to do with the shifting industry rather than being a failure, even the biggest MMOs are going F2P regardless of how much money their subs used to bring in.

7. rrw

@6 arcording to your logic TF2 is a failure :P

8. Erthazus

@8, TF2 sold buckets of copies and it’s time for it to be free to bring community who didn’t purchased it because it was a 2007 game or just they didn’t knew it was a good game. Now it’s free, a lot of New people are there and buying stuff.

I didn’t say that Dc Universe can’t have the same success. But it’s not a good game to begin with.

@7, industry didn’t shifted to free to play only now. F2P was long ago and there are tons of games that existed (and exist to this day) since 2002 being f2p and successfull.

To begin with, DC Universe Online is not a good game. If it was a fantastic MMORPG than there could be enough community that could pay 15$ a month.

Everquest II is a successfull Sony mmorpg. It was p2p before and once everyone played the shit out of it (like with TF2) it’s now free. This one (DC) is just a failure.

9. Ireland Michael

For once, Erth is right.

This game has been out a matter of months. Team Fortress has been out four years. The two are not comparable.

10. hypeb147

Great news! I’ll buy it now for sure.

11. Christopher Jack

Yes & WoW is one of the most successful franchises in the entire industry & it partially shifted to F2P… It’s not the game, it’s the dying sub market for MMOs which is why I doubt SW:tOR will do much better.

12. xino

oh cool!

and so nice that it’s free on ps3 too!

now let me hope my beta save would work with the final game

13. Pekuso

After that, Sony must bring out Free Realms, other free MMO which was announced a while ago and, up to now, it only arrive to PC.

14. Aimless

@14 The PS3 version came out at the end of March, but only in America.

I’m not sure what the hold up is with other territories, but I suppose you could probably download it from a US PSN account without issue.

15. Hunam

Took them long enough.

@15 The PS3 version came out in Europe too.

16. Aimless

@16 It’s not on the UK Store and I haven’t seen a single announcement about it releasing in Europe. What makes you say it’s out?

17. Hunam

When I saw it on the shelf. Also, the European PS3 servers they were running and all the guys on Eurogamer who were playing it.

EDIT: I I did see it on the UK PSN store for £40 around the time of release too.

18. Aimless

Ahh, I see what’s happened: I was responding to Pekuso’s post about Free Realms, but it seems you’re referring to DCUO.

19. blackdreamhunk

I agree that Dc online is not that great of a mmo game. It lacks immersion to begin with.

20. TheWulf

Yep. This game is shite, and it’s still not comparable to CO. CO is free to play with six large and varied zones (it had 5 at launch). DC launched with two tiny zones (both of which are rather unimaginatively represented cities) and hasn’t had nowhere near as much in the way of content. You can burn out DC’s content in a week, but aside from button mashing it’s fairly boring.

CO is much more interesting, and funny. There’s just so much going on in the background with CO, fun gameplay is just the tip of the iceberg, but despite it being DC, CO has the more interesting environment to play in, the lore is generally more captivating, and it’s just plain funny. DC UO is dry and dull by comparison.

Ex: http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Mad_Correspondence

Have a read of the links there, they’re a great laugh. CO doesn’t take itself so seriously, and thus it wins.

21. Clupula

I might pick this up now. I was part of the BETA and really had a good time with that…but not a $10 a month good time. No game is worth a subscription fee.

22. Clupula

Actually, from reading the Playstation Blog, it’s going to be COMPLETELY FREE TO PLAY. As in a free download on the Playstation Store and won’t be sold in stores anymore.