SCEJ president doesn’t see 3DS or smartphones as Vita competitors

Friday, 16th September 2011 15:05 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

SCEJ president Hiroshi Kawano doesn’t feel Nintendo’s 3DS is a direct competitor to Vita, due to the two handhelds being vastly different from each other in not only looks and tech, but price point.

Speaking with Reuters during TGS 2011, Kawano said he doesn’t consider smartphones as a competitor either, as gaming on phones is considered a bonus to the main focus of the device.

Vita was designed for gaming with extra features such as social networking and applications as the bonus. Basically, one is the reverse of the other, as Kawano feels those looking for a portable gaming experience won’t purchase a smartphone for that reason only. If they are in it for the gaming, they will purchase a handheld gaming device.

Kawano said Sony expects the first 500,000 units of Vita to sell out quickly in Japan thanks to the NTT Docomo pre-paid plan offer for the Wi-Fi with 3G model. Kawano believes the 3G model provides new opportunities and more possibilities for gaming than the Wi-Fi version alone, and hopes more people purchase the 3G version because of said opportunities.

Thanks, Gamespot.

1. NeoSquall

“SCEJ president doesn’t” what?

2. StolenGlory

Indeed, you beat me to it :)

3. themadjock

@1 & 2 Consider?

4. Stephany Nunneley

Fucksake. Srsly. The CMS did not save my changes. Massive 500 issues with it this week. /punches wall

5. viralshag

Poor wall. It didn’t even do anything.

6. Stephany Nunneley

No, but it is better than punching a person or my lovely monitor which I am betrothed to. He is so gorgeous.

7. StolenGlory

Back in the day when I used to do a lot of player-killer griefing on Ultima Online, I made a guy so angry with me, he punched his monitor and the display went pink.

True story.

8. viralshag

Depends what the person was like. There are some people I would happily punch over a wall. I guess it all comes down to who or what is close by.

9. NeoSquall

@2 oh oh oh I beat you! /smirks

@4 shit happens, Stephany. we had similar issues yesterday, too.

10. Stephany Nunneley

@7 Oh dear! HAHA! You know, I could never do that to mine. I did break a SNES controller once playing MK3. I regretted it instantly. But now, there are plenty of cats around my house to kick if I ever get mad enough. (I am joking obviously)

@8 Me too, but, they take assault seriously in this state, oddly enough considering the inhabitants.

11. _LarZen_

This is a big mistake…

12. ruckus

Yeah I’m with _LarZen_: you went to far with the kicking cats thing…

13. The_Red

Punch the SCEJ president instead! He deserves it after this comment.

14. Stephany Nunneley

@11 & 12 offs. I said I was joking :p My cats get treated better than I treat myself. They eat premium food, while I do not, and they go to the vet whenever they sneeze, whereas I never go to the DR unless I am dying. They have so many toys, an indoor playhouse, shelves running through the upstairs bedroom (which are down being re-painted as we speak), window seats, a large chainlink kennel big enough for 8 dogs with ramps and shelves to lay on so they can go outdoors and stay safe while they are at it. Heated beds, you name it. Seriously. They are royalty.

15. ruckus

I’m just joking – _LarZen_ probably meant Sony but I thought it was funny to make out it was aimed at you. Oh how I laughed!

16. Razor

Dear oh dear oh dear.

Sony just don’t get it, do they?

17. Stephany Nunneley

@15 I should slap you, but you would like that :D :D *rawr!*

18. lexph3re

Naw, I think Sony does get it. Although we are at a pass where everyone claims that they want 1 device to be their everything. If you look at majority of the devices out it contradicts that way of thinking. People easily could just have a Iphone and leave it at that. But, instead they by the Ipad,Ipod, Iphone(revisions) and it keeps going. Reason being is because although each one of those devices can do what the others can. They each offer something unique that capatalizes on a individual feature the others don’t.

Sony has delivered a handheld that is not in competition with the smartphones or the 3ds. It’s a device that is dedicated to gaming but functions well in everything else from movies,music,internet, and social networking. And, you won’t need to buy alternate versions if you know what you want. Vita is a breath of fresh air technology that’s not selling itself in the market of the other devices as smartphones and sole handheld gaming.

19. TerraZet

Sounds like another victory for Sony, hahaha just what is the point now? why do Microshit and Nintendon’t even try any more hahahahahha oh god I love it when people get mad because they know they’re losing against the mighty overlord that is Sony.