Undated Final Fantasy X HD announced for Vita, PS3

Wednesday, 14th September 2011 06:02 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Square Enix has announced at the Sony TGS press conference it’s releasing a HD version of Final Fantasy X for PlayStation Vita and PlayStation 3.

Square Enix producer Shinji Hashimoto broke the news this morning in Tokyo.

The HD redux is being made to celebrate the release of the game nearly a decade ago on PlayStation 2. FFX released in Japan in July 2001, in North America in January 2002 – when Square’s North American arm was controlled by EA and in May 2002 via SCEE in Europe.

The RPG seen you play as Tidus on the world of Spira, where he, Yuna and Rikku must defeat the creature Sin.

No footage or screens were aired at the presser. We’ve asked Square UK for confirmation on a western release here.

1. HighWindXIX

That is literally the only Final Fantasy they could remake that I would not buy. Thanks for nothing Square. Now remake VII like people actually want… Or give us an HD Collection ala MGS…

2. sithsylar

OMG SOLD

3. sithsylar

This seriously was the final final fantasy before the series went to shit. People who didn’t play this on ps2 should really pick it up. Its great

4. FRGT10

It’s not a remake. It’s a Hi-Def version of the old one.

5. StolenGlory

Right.

I’m filing this under the ‘HOLY FUCK!’ category.

This is just awesome news!

6. hypoxia12m

It’s not a remake, it’s an HD port. Stop confusing people VG!

7. Erthazus

That is a nice idea.

and Yes, it’s just a HD port for 10th anniversary.

8. Ireland Michael

Lazy.

This right here is where the franchise went to shit.

9. sithsylar

@8 yep its the final good game released by square soft….

10. Ireland Michael

@8 Not what I meant at all.

*This* game is where it all went wrong.

One word: Tidus.

11. Zana

Wonderful game, looking forward to playing it again in HD glory. One of the biggest attractions was the fantastic worldview, going to Spira in HD will be a fantastic journey!

12. cRAZYcROgUY

Thanks Square,my favourite FF game.

13. AbolfazlA

Awesome News

I cant wait

14. Kabby

Now you can play the FF game that set the bar for the future of the series.

The name of the bar was “utter shit”. FFX. Haha. Oh Wow.

15. Fin

Yay! This was great news to wake up to!

16. freedoms_stain

Interesting choice. I wonder what the prime mover was on that. I hope it wasn’t sales, sales can be a misleading barometer of series popularity, especially without the metrics our current online systems give us as to what games are actually being played.

FFX was an ok game, not the best, I probably wouldn’t by an HD port tbh.

17. Blerk

These are not the Final Fantasies you’re looking for.

/waves hand, mystically

18. Blerk

Although to be fair, it’s the best of the PS2 bunch for my money. Didn’t get on with XII, didn’t play XI, X-2 was…. X-2. X had some cool characters and a very decent combat system.

Not sure how it’ll figure out for portable play, though – there were some hellish long gaps between save points at times.

19. xianghhk

[deleted as spam]

20. Chino86

What’s that Squennix? You want my wallet? WELL HERE TAKE IT! TAKE IT NOW! *dies*

21. moargamezpleeze

SE announces yet another FF game when they still haven’t released the other 3! FFS SE,release Type-0,FF XIII-2 and Versus first!

22. Lounds

I want FF9 remake, it’s the only FF game that is true to the series.

23. Gurdil

@Ireland Michael I usually agree with you but I’m with sithsylar on this one. FFX was actually good even if a bit too linear. And I don’t get your argument. Well, I suppose you hated Tidus but… Why?

Anyway, if I ever buy a Vita, I’ll buy this one (no point in buying the PS3 version, I still have my PS2 and the game at home).

24. BloodyJoe

This is the news I waited long for! Now FFX-2 and XII are still missing but I count an Squares dollar-eyes to do this fast for me because I ike them even more then X

25. Deacon

Tidus is an annoying moron.. but it was / is a great game.

I love the whole SIN element. Would definitely buy and play through again. Though I’d much rather be playing a HD VII, VIII or IX.

26. Gurdil

@25 I must admit I don’t get why they chose to do a HD FFX rather than a HD FFVII that everyone has been begging for for some time…

@24 XII? Really? What did you like about that game? (It’s a genuine question, not a mockery or whatever troll shit) I hated the story (well to the point where I stopped, I obviously don’t know what happened next) and the combat mechanics seemed like shit to me. Still not trolling, but I’d better understand someone who liked FFXIII (even if I didn’t) than FFXII. XIII is so NOT a FF game that it could actually make sense.

27. Blerk

They didn’t do FFVII because it’d be much more work. Bringing a PSOne title up to scratch for play in HD would mean redoing practically all of the graphics rather than just upscaling it like you can with the PS2 games.

28. OrbitMonkey

Very tempted, if only to have Waka as my goalie ;)

29. Strife91

Why do people assume that it’s a remake? >.<

30. Judicas

Loved all the final fantasy games until ffx, this game made me feel like someone was scratching a chalkboard with nails. Painful !

31. Dralen

I’m sure alot of people will CLEARLY disagree with me, but “X” is my favourite Final Fantasy game by far. I still play it today, so I am absolutely ecstatic about this news, cannot wait!

32. Fin

Right there with you bro! :)

33. Zana

@31 Don’t let a bunch of outnumbered haters let you believe this game was bad. It definitely was a fantastic experience! Well, it’s true some parts of the US voice acting were not so great, but well…

34. StolenGlory

Me too.

Screw the haters.

35. Blerk

It’s my (counts on fingers) third favourite, I think. It’s not as bad as it’s often painted. Although it does have the execrable Blitzball, as someone just reminded me.

36. Clupula

It’s actually my second favorite of the series (behind FFIX), so I’m happy for this.

37. Lounds

@36 finally someone who thinks IX is the best FF game.

38. Blerk

IX is the most under-rated of the bunch. It’s my second favourite behind VII.

39. StolenGlory

I’d agree with that. If only because the plucky Zidane made a welcome change from wrist-slitting, idiot protagonists of the previous two games :)

40. viralshag

FFVIII was the best FF game! Ever! Deal with it!

41. silkvg247

Wait.. what?

Hmm. I guess it’s cheaper for them to make a “HD” version of a PS2 game than actually invest time and money into one of the good games in the series.

FF9 was the most under-rated and the last “good” FF game, period. I would buy remakes of 7, 9, maybe even 8. Maybe.

But 10? As others have said, that’s when they just forgot what made FF great and pumped out a generic fancy RPG. And again. And again. So called innovative combat systems that just don’t work, because they were too scared to stick to their roots. Clichè and tired characters copied and pasted with different hair.

Also my cat just randomly jumped on my desk, grabbed a rolled up ball of tape and ran off with it. That was more amusing than the 20 hours I put into FF10 before giving up on it.

42. Gurdil

@41 Sure you’re not mistaking? X still had a turn-based combat mechanic. You can’t count XI since it’s an online game so I’d say XII is when they screwed up the combats. Besides, X’s story was great, the characters were developped and you had some puzzles (even if those were really simple). So yeah, it’s definitely a FF.

43. Lounds

FF:X has the worse leveling system ever!

44. Lounds

I enjoyed the gameplay though.

45. silkvg247

@42 yeah the combat was fine in that one, just hated, as in HATED the main character, so pretty much couldn’t get into it. Also hated the football type game that you needed to be good at to get the best items.

46. Gurdil

@43 Well I thought it was a fun way to level up. A bit weird at first but I liked it.

@45 Well I understand what you’re saying about the Blitzball. On my first playthrough I spent a lot of time playing it cause I liked it but on the other playthroughs I found it to be quite a pain. However, you can do really well without it (well except the games that are part of the story obviously).
    Tidus seems to annoy a lot of people. How come? Was that the revelation towards the end that frustrated you or is it his behaviour or something? Anyway, I liked Rikku so much that I didn’t care about some characters being annoying to me (Wakka was soooo annoying! And I had trouble liking Kimahri at first too but it turns out he’s interesting)

47. Lounds

Zidane ftw

48. silkvg247

@46; Perhaps it’s because I was in my late 20′s at the time, am female, and just couldn’t relate with an immature boy as my main character. He wasn’t much of a role model, seemed quite weak and your typical boyish lad. Not my thing at all.

Then again I didn’t think much of lightning in FF13. I liked the concept of her, a hard ass chick who can hold her own, but something really let it down on execution. Maybe the voice actress, or maybe she was just too hard and I didn’t know enough about her; or maybe they just tried *too hard*.

One of my favorite all time video game characters is Jessica in Lunar the Silver Star, but then again Working Designs put Square to shame on all their character design anyway.