BioWare: Dragon Age III’s story all about “saving the world from itself”

Tuesday, 30th August 2011 10:54 GMT By Johnny Cullen

BioWare offered up tasty Dragon Age III story tidbits over the weekend, saying that its plot was about “saving the world from itself.”

The Dragon Age panel at PAX – which featured creative director Mike Laidlaw, executive producer Mark Darrah, Art Director Matt Goldman and writer David Gaider – confirmed that the Templar and Mages would be at war against each other for control.

As for who you’ll actually play in DAIII, the team handling the panel seemed to indicate that the story of Hawke was not done, and that there may even be a chance that he might actually meet the Grey Warden from Origins.

However, there was another indication that there could be an all-new protagonist.

Dragon Age III hasn’t been formally announced, but was nudged of its existence a while back by BioWare.

There’s more details on the future of the series from the PAX panel at RPGSite.

1. YoungZer0

I’d love to see the Return of Hawke. I really dig his character design. Also hope the keep the art-direction the way it is in DA2.

2. Giskard

Please return everything to how it was in Dragon Age: Origins and give me a new story. You can even keep the same characters, I don’t care. Just give me the Dragon Age: Origins combat and depth in story back. Please?

3. Gurdil

@2 Origins sure had more depth in its story than DA2 but did you really enjoy Origins’ combat system more than DA2′s?!? Why? It’s basically the same but with less cooldown and fluider movements (DA2 compared to Origins I mean)… Please don’t be one of those who say “it’s become a simple hack’n'slash, you mash one button and win the game”, that’s so not true.

4. G-Sama

“It was also said the main character in the game set to travel across the land to make allies to attempt to bring peace.”

i smell somethimg….oh yeah,MASS EFFECT 2 Shitty Plot !!
    don’t get me wrong,i mean,i loved mass effect 2 really,but the travel-through-the-universe-and-make-allies plot was really silly consedering that’s your actual purpose for the whole game !!

5. Giskard

The first was superior in that you had to manage your party more, and strategy mattered a lot more than it does now. It was like playing chess, in a sense, but more fun.

6. Gurdil

@5 Have you played DA2 in nightmare mode? I didn’t try the nightmare mode in DA:O so maybe it was even more difficult but I sure found you had to really think of a strategy to win a battle in DA2 (well not against the weaklings of course…). I, for one, had a hard time with it. But I know I’m not much of a hardcore gamer so I don’t know if it could satisfy someone like that. Anyway, if you haven’t played in nightmare mode, try it out, I think you’d enjoy it.