Valve: DOTA community not “toxic”, almost entirely “hardcore”

Friday, 12th August 2011 04:54 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The DOTA community is dedicated to its game, but welcoming, according to Valve.

“We don’t think the DOTA community is a toxic one at all,” DOTA 2 project lead Erik Johnson told Gamespy when asked about the MOBA genre’s reputation for unfriendliness to new players.

“A huge number of users spend a huge amount of their time just writing guides to teach new (and experienced) players strategies for heroes, items, and high-level strategy for the game. In any community of this size, you’re going to run into some people that rub you the wrong way but I think that is true for, well, your average grocery store.”

Valve is drawing on its considerable experience with multiplayer communities to help construct a number of social tools and features which should help, like coaching.

“Most new players come into DOTA via their friends, so we think this makes a lot of sense,” Johnson commented, explaining that the sequel will be more accessible than the original.

“There are a lot of rough edges around the original DOTA for people wanting to get into games and play with their friends, but the fundamental mechanics of the game once you’re in a game seem to be pretty compelling for a wide range of people,” he said.

“We want to make it easy for people to get in and play with people of similar skill levels, and get into a game with their friends, but we think the fundamental experience of DOTA is a good one.”

There’s no reason to be frightened of “hardcore” DOTA fans, either, as Johnson believes most MOBA players could be called hardcore.

“Hardcore used to mean a fairly small group within a larger community that were dedicated to a particular product and spent a lot of their time interacting with the community, both inside and outside of the game experience,” he said.

“In the case of DOTA, there are tens of millions of people that play the game, and it seems like most fit that description.”

DOTA 2 will debut with a $1 million tournament at gamescom next week, and is expected to release this year.

1. noherczeg

I just can’t wait to see it. Wondering what’ll be the differences between DOTA2 and e.g. HoN, or LoL :O

2. absolutezero

I played about 5 LoL and 3 HoN games and each and every one of them was a horrible experience.

I guess it does not help that I dispise meta-gaming in most of its forms.

3. viralshag

I have just gotten into LoL and I have spent quite some time playing it and I have only run into maybe one or two games where people acted like dicks. I have actually had more good experiences with people offering help, advice and tips.

It wasn’t what I was expecting after hearing some of the negative talk about it, so I guess I am pleasantly surprised. Maybe I’m just so badass at gaming people have nothing to complain about… ;)

4. noherczeg

Dunno when did S2 introduced the “new” buy menu in HoN, but it now has strategies within it and also loadouts too for all phases of the games. It’s an insanely nice move from them. They actually made me come back to play the game.

Also what I always hated about these dota copies is that the majority of the players are 1: too young and dicks 2: not too young but still assholes. This is what is killing the game imho in most of the cases.

Newcomers experience way too much hate and flame, and torture by the others.

If they manage to elliminate somehow a portion of this mentality in DoTA2, I’ll gladly part to it from the current variants.

5. Nozz

Being one of the people that decided to try out [the now free to play] Heroes of Newerth because of a friends recommendation, I can honestly say from the 7 or so games I played online every single one of them was a bad experience.

I wasn’t informed on the negative view on the community before I jumped in and I was mildly shocked at some of the nerd-rage I received for some of the most minor things I did in game.

I can see how some people would be alienated from that kind of experience; it, in my opinion is totally unnecessary.