Ubisoft always on DRM not required for From Dust’s single-player

Thursday, 28th July 2011 16:05 GMT By Nathan Grayson

Hot on the heels of Driver: San Francisco’s high speed collision with horrible, willfully ignorant inconvenience, it seemed From Dust may have been headed down a similar “always online” path. However, Ubisoft has confirmed to VG247 this is not entirely the case.

From Dust’s Steam listing seems pretty standard, but one bit sticks out like a sore thumb – or lava-engulfed tribesman, as it were: “Ubisoft Online Service” in the “third-party DRM” section. But should you be blowing your top over this?

Maybe, maybe not. We’ve contacted Ubisoft on the matter, and according to a representative for the firm: “From Dust will not require a permanent online connection to play in single-player mode.”

Meanwhile, Driver: San Francisco’s Steam listing states: “Ubisoft requires a permanent Internet connection to play this video game at all times.”

Thanks, Blues News.

1. DarkElfa

So now we get the real reason for the delay.

2. endgame

and I was just about to preorder this yesterday. I won’t have to do that anymore. ah well, I guess I just saved some euros. :))

3. DarkElfa

No worries, it’ll be interesting to see what time on the eventual launch day the pirates tear their DRM apart.

One of these days they’ll get it, you try and uber DRM your game and you’re just daring the pirates to bitch smack you back into place.

4. Old MacDonald

Such a shame. There was a time when Ubisoft was seen as a good publisher. Back when they released stuff like Sands of Time and Beyond Good & Evil, while at the same time giving us the best combat flight sim around (IL2-series) and even dabbling in esoteric but interesting stuff like the Silent Hunter-games (submarine sims). It felt like they had a greater understanding of games and gamers than their competitors (which is probably because there was something of an outrage when EA tried to buy them). Now I consider them the most clueless of the major publishers, and I have learned that if there are more than one way to do something, Ubisoft will _always_ choose the worst way.

This won’t stop me from buying the game, though. I want to support the vision, the concept and the guys who actually made it. Sometimes one cause is more important than another, and in this case Ubisoft gleefully pissing all over their customers actually becomes a secondary concern for me.

5. Tamo123

Just cancelled the new Driver, thinking about picking this up later, but not anymore.

… Guess torrents will cure this.

6. The Evil Pope

I have a way round Ubi’s DRM…I’ll just download the cracked version.

7. Nissanthen

@5 Tamo123

Torrenting their games will not solve anything. Please refrain from pirating games, if you want to play the games, buy them and deal with the DRM.

While I don’t agree with Ubisoft’s practices I did not run into any problems with their DRM.

8. The Evil Pope

Maybe if Ubi treated their consumers with a little respect, then they maybe get some back!

9. viralshag

Maybe I’m not hardcore enough of a PC gamer but I never really have any issues with DRM. I think as long as the game plays I don’t really care and if I have some issues that get resolved anyway… I still don’t think I care.

10. Joe_Gamer

Heh, I was looking forward to this one to, guess I’ll just go without. Yeah right, quick to the Piracy Mobile! Don’t bother complaining to me about it, you won’t change my views/practices any more than I will change yours. They had a chance to earn my sale and they blew it.

11. DSB

I guess I won’t be getting From Dust.

Generally I don’t support piracy, and I think it’s an even better signal to just leave the games well alone, but if you package your games with obtrusive DRM, then you get what you deserve.

12. LOLshock94

whats the problem with downloading a game and being able to play it if you have your internet on? do yous all turn your internet off while playing?

13. Joe_Gamer

@12 Even if you buy the game in a store you still can’t play it without the net, I have comcast highspeed at home but I spend most weekends at my ex’s with my daughter where the only internet is my tethered droid. This game is essentially useless to me with this damn DRM. Most people won’t have problems like this but some will and those of us who do don’t appreciate getting punished because of some greedy assholes ineffective witch hunt.

14. blackdreamhunk

maybe pick this game up when it’s $1.00 off steam maybe not like my mmo’s and masseffect.

15. DSB

@13 Actually the principle goes far beyond lame excuses like that. Most people will have internet connnections, and most people will be able to comply with the DRM.

That’s not even close to being the issue, though. The issue is publishers wanting to look over the shoulders of paying customers, which does nothing except inconvenience us. They aren’t going to hit any pirates with their useless measures, they’re going to hit us, the guys who actually buy their games.

That’s so far from being acceptable that it’s not even funny. If you want my sale, reward my time and money, and don’t bother me with measures that are hopelessly aimed at the people who don’t.

That being said, pirates obviously get the better experience. They don’t have to bother with the client, or Ubisofts inability to keep their servers up. Or the bitter taste in their mouth that they actually paid full price for a lesser product.

16. ruckus

DRM is killing your business.

17. Lightmanone

And that announcement of driver made me loose my interest in the game completely. DRM = no go for me.
    Torrents will do for me. Always have done better for me in that way then buying it then. I will NOT condome DRM. and will show that DRM will only drive UP the piracy, not counteract!

18. stretch215

Listen to all the fag pirates “now I won’t buy it,blah blah blah”. You weren’t going to buy it anyway you scumbag. You are the reason that DRM exists.

19. DSB

Cool story bro.

Considering that every major victory against pirates the last decade has been at the hands of companies who create DRM solutions that actually don’t punish their paying customers, I’d say you’re about as wrong as Ubisoft on that one.

20. 234085hjf980

I agree with Nissanthen, pirating their software only reinforces their desire for more control and will only result in more DRM not less. People like Tamo123 and The Evil Pope are the people who drive the increased DRM because they can’t just do without the games. It’s like a pharmacy that has to lock it’s drugs up tighter and tighter to keep the addicts out. If you can’t NOT play a game, then you ARE an addict.

21. Joe_Gamer

@18 DRM is about artificial scarcity, NOT piracy. Educate yourself.

“To Stay Afloat, Businesses Have to Pretend Unlimited Goods are Limited” hence, DRM.

22. Naturallymade

Apparantly a lot of you people didn’t read it and went sraight to comment, it says that you WILL NOT need a constant internet connection to play from dust…

Plus if you love a game enough, then who gives a shit about DRM, its just a way for a company to stop people distributing it, like the fact that you can’t play copied games on un-chipped/jtagged/whatever consoles.

23. blackdreamhunk

wow publishers looking to screw pc gaming over how they can I bet million that Microsoft and Sony is be hide it!!!!

even EA wants to screw you up!

EA: We can remove your purchased game in Origin

If you scour through the internet, you might find a handful of articles describing how evil EA is as a gaming corporation. Well, maybe this is the latest reason you can take account for.

Looking at the fifth line of EA’s Terms of Service, it has been carefully stated that:

“We reserve the right to change and update Content and Entitlements without notice to you. If you have not used your Entitlements or Account for twenty four (24) months or more and your Account has associated Entitlements, your Entitlements will expire and your Account may be cancelled for non-use. Once you have redeemed your Entitlements, that content is not returnable, exchangeable, or refundable for other Entitlements or for cash, or other goods or services.”

Origin is a carbon copy of Steam, that is brought to you by EA. And their newly launched marketplace involves purchasing items, in which in this case, video games. So, if you comparing the TOS, and using the service to buy your games, you can get an idea that EA will delete what you have been buying after 2 years. Provided that you didn’t use ‘em within the time range.

Now, tell me Battlefield 3 fans, did you buy something with your hard earned money just to lose it in the end?