Namco “exploring new opportunities with Enslaved,” says UK marketing boss

Wednesday, 20th July 2011 22:51 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Enslaved: Journey to the West has won Best New IP award at tonight’s Develop Awards. But you know what’s even more exciting for Trip and Monkey fans? Namco Bandai is looking at new ways to explore the series, the publisher’s Lee Kirton has told VG247.

UK marketing director Kirton told us in an interview you’ll see in full on the site soon that while sales were not as great as expected in the beginning of the game’s life last October – sales were last reported at 730,000 in May – long-term sales are looking “good,” and that it still forsees a future with the IP: something that he has touched upon before.

In fact, it’s now “exploring” other “opportunities” within the series.

“Enslaved is still a title we focus on yes,” said Kirton.

“Its sales are actually good long term, but were they to the level that we wanted in the beginning? Unfortunately not, and we understand some of the issues that may have caused this.

“However, it’s a great game, with great visuals and great British talent behind it. We are exploring new opportunities with Enslaved of course. As a videogame developer and publisher we have learned a lot, and this industry continues to on a regular basis, and yes there would have been some things that would have been done different. ”

“Ultimately what we did was put a lot of love behind something that we truly respected. We built a great amount of awareness around the title, we created a ‘word of mouth’ buzz, it got great reviews, got picked all across the national press, lifestyle media, got some great nominations for many awards and Namco Bandai is mentioned as a publishing hero.”

Kirton admitted that there was some “negativity” with the game, especially in regards to the demo of the Ninja Theory actioner, but insists that there is still love out there for the game overall.

“In terms of what was accomplished, I can personally tell you that the game was one of the best experiences that I have ever had the pleasure of being part of,” said Kirton.

“It was a great demonstration for real full-performance capture within an interactive world. The story felt fresh, the music unique, the characters had a lot of believability and the gameplay was simple yet addictive, as well as visually stimulating. It was a story that was meant to be experienced and it sometimes makes me sad when I see it on shelves at such a low price.

“So much has been released that doesn’t stack up to the overall quality that Enslaved delivered, and I do think that many people need to experience it if they haven’t as yet. I’ve read both sides of the forums, and maybe not everyone enjoyed the demo so much, but there’s always negativity out there, but an incredible amount of love overall for those that played it.

“The demo was such a small part of the overall experience that I think those that enjoy superb games such as Heavy Rain, LA Noir and Uncharted should give it a go.”

Big up the Enslaved, Namco Bandai and Ninja Theory massive for their Develop win. Congrats to all. Watch for the full Lee Kirton interview soon, and we’ll have more details on the full list of winners from the Develop Awards tomorrow morning.

1. pukem0n

give us Enslaved 2, PLEASE!

2. Ge0force

I would love to see a sequel too! A better combat system with more possibilities would make the game awesome!

3. YoungZer0

Loved the first one. One of the few developers who actually gives a shit about art, story and characters. A sequel to this fantastic game would be amazing.

The only complains i had about the first game were the length and the controls.

Sidenote: The Combat-System, while missing depth had one of the best design decisions in videogame history.

Whenever you’d punch the attack button furiously, and ignore blocking and heavy attack, your character would perform this one little slow-mo death animation, with alot of yelling.

One might say: “This is stupid, it rewards you for button mashing.” But think about it. Think about the feeling you had after this animation. Satisfaction. You felt good, not frustrated, you’d come down and be able to focus on better attack combinations again.

Absolutely smart.

4. Ercarret

Woohoo! I really enjoyed Enslaved. It had some issues that dragged it down a bit, but overall it was truly wonderful.

I do however feel that it ended in a way that there is no real need to continue the story of Monkey and Trip, and I wish that they’d just let them be. Which sucks, because I really liked those two and I can’t really picture an Enslaved game without them. All in all, I don’t know how I’d want that the Enslaved franschise to continue, because every way seems wrong in some way. I kind of want to say, “Hey, don’t make a sequel”, but at the same time … I really want a sequel.

5. Zana

“One of the few developers who actually gives a shit about art, story and characters.” Absolutely. I loved Enslaved especially because of its art direction. The first part of the game in New York is incredible. I’ve never seen a ruined city so beautiful in a video game.

6. HauntaVirus

I really enjoyed enslaved, just too short and needed a more in depth upgrading system, more weapons and have upgradable clothes/armor.

7. Telepathic.Geometry

Great game, only the laggy controls were an issue for me. Bring it on Namco, I’ll buy it.

8. frostquake

Though it came out at the wrong time and was lost in the landslide of games at the time, I would loved to see an Enslaved 2…yes it had flaws, but was a great game, that had quite a bit of potential that can be done in Enslaved 2.

9. Lewis247

Despite it’s minor flaws, Enslaved is a fantastic game. Would love to a see a second.

10. Len

Picked this up the other day for 8 quid and am quite enjoying it so far but the characters movement (very clunky for want to a better word) and camera are slightly annoying to say the least.