Team Meat doesn’t effing care about piracy

Tuesday, 19th July 2011 06:16 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Team Meat voiced an unusual opinion about Super Meat Boy’s piracy levels and said a swear! We like that kind of thing.

“Our game was hugely pirated – we don’t fucking care,” Tommy Refenes and Edmund McMillen said during the latest Dark Zero podcast, as reported by RockPaperShotgun.

“If there are let’s say 200,000 copies of Super Meat Boy that are getting passed around for free, that’s 200,000 people who are playing the game.

“If they like this game there’s a really high probability of their friends coming around and seeing it or them posting about it on their blogs. And it’s not cool to go round and say I really like this game that I stole, so they’re not going to say that. So it’s going to come around to sales.”

Thanks, Gamefront.

[image]

1. TVs Everywhere

Exactly what I’ve been saying. Even if a game is pirated, word gets out. And a lot of people who pirate games pirate absolutely everything they can think of, regardless of whether they actually want it or not, meaning a pirated copy =/= a lost sale.

As a legit PC consumer, I WANT developers to “not fucking care” about piracy because then they can make PC games without horrendous DRM that treats everyone like criminals (I’m looking at you, Ubi). And I want them to “not fucking care” because in business terms it really doesn’t matter. In business terms, you can only account for “lost sales” if the sales in question were actually going to happen. If you see 10 people walk past your lemonade stand with no interest you don’t get to say that you’ve “lost 10 sales” because they weren’t even going to buy anything in the first place.

2. Christopher Jack

@1, I come from a lower class area, I know a lot of scum bags, the only time they will not pirate a game, is if they run out of Anti-DRM measures.

95% of them are only smart enough to get the torrent & barely follow the instructions-if it requires another external download, they quit & finally purchase the game-sad but true.

None of them are going to encourage another person to purchase the game, they’re far more likely to lend them a flashdrive with the ISO on it, the person who borrows it is normally feral enough not to even return the flashdrive.

3. DSB

<3 Team Meat

4. TVs Everywhere

@2: You do know, though, that your anecdotal evidence =/= all of the internet, right?

Team Meat has reasons to think the way they do, and I highly doubt they’re “wrong”.

5. DSB

I don’t see how they’re in any way implying that piracy is actually good for them. They’re just saying it’s not as bad as it’s made out to be, which by all accounts is true.

Services like Netflix and to a lesser extent Steam have pretty much proven that limiting piracy is simply about offering a product of similar quality, as the one offered by pirates. Doing away with most of the corporate nonsense like DRM, or in Netflix case, piracy warnings and trailers, and giving people what they pay for, when they pay for it, with as little hassle as possible.

I’m sure that ChrisJack is right that low income areas will pirate more, but quite logically, they’d never be the biggest customers to begin with. What you need to do is offer great products, at great convenience, just like pirates do themselves, in which case paying for them becomes infinitely more appealing.