Naughty Dog would “love to go back” to Jak & Daxter “at some point”

Monday, 4th July 2011 15:42 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Naughty Dog co-president Evan Wells has said that the company would “love” to revisit Jak & Daxter at some point, but are insistent its current focus is with Mr. Drake.

“What I hear a lot recently [from fans] is to make another Jak & Daxter game,” Wells told Game Informer.

“My answer always is we’d love to do it, there’s a lot of love for the franchise and it has a special place in our hearts for sure, but we’re sort of heads down, working on one game at a time now and are focusing on Uncharted, but we’d love to go back to it at some point.”

The last main entry in the series was racing title Jak X in 2005 for PS2.

Naughty Dog’s next game, Uncharted 3, launches in November for PS3. A multiplayer beta is currently underway.

1. CyberMarco

Just do it already!!!

2. Telepathic.Geometry

/Schwarzenegger/ DO EEET!

3. someguy2

I never played the first but I played the fuck out of the second one, the third one I thought was pretty meh I didn’t see the pint in the light eco mechanic. Anyway, I would rather see something new from Naughty Dog since I think they’ve got the talent to be able to develop new IP.

4. moargamezpleeze

Do want.

5. CaptPierce

If they make an HD collection of the first 3, I would die of a heart attack.

6. rainer

May as well put all 6 games if doing a collection, the last one was decent enough.

I doubt they will get to do it though, like Sucker Punch and the Sly Raccoon series they seem to be a one game studio so it would take another developer to make it happen.

Insomniac actually have the means to make more than one game at a time so thats why there have been plenty of Ratchet & Clank games still coming from them.

7. MadFingerz

Come on, I can’t be the only one who wants ND to make a proper Crash Team Racing sequel..

8. Telepathic.Geometry

Just Jak n Dax 1 please. I will pay full price for it if you give me HD goodness and trophies. /sex wee

9. reema

#5 Please don’t die of a heart attack, than you can’t play it.

Anyway, I would love to see more J&D. Maybe the Sly Cooper way; first HD collection and some time later Jak 4.

10. CaptPierce

I certainly hope I don’t either.

11. onlineatron

I wonder how much leeway Sony gives Naughty Dog, project wise.

If I was Sony I’d want them to keep making Uncharted games. It’s a massive name, that sells. I doubt Jak has that much weight outside of the core gaming community these days.

12. Dr.Ghettoblaster

No no no…….history shows the next Naughty Dog game will be an Uncharted racing game…..lol

13. dreamcastnews

I actually thought that Jak & Daxter Final Frontier released in 2009 for PS2 was the last entry….

14. Moonwalker1982

Ever since PS3′s release i’ve wanted a J&D game for it.

15. Lewis247

Curse Uncharted for being so damn awesome they probably weren’t allowed to do anything else!!

Seriously, I remember completing Jak 3 back in the day. What a game, really stood out for me as one of my favorite ps2 titles!

This series REALLY, REALLY needs to be back! I would take this over Killzone, Resistence or motorstorm any day! Great franchise!

16. TheWulf

I really hope they do.

I’m sorry to say this, but… Uncharted is just a particularly dull Indiana Jones rip-off featuring a man who’s racist and misogynistic to the point where it borders on clinical sociopathy. It’s got some great locations but never does anything interesting with them in regards to the plot or the mechanics, it has no charm and very little personal identity to speak of (beyond Nate’s hair), and I’d rather watch an Indiana Jones film instead. (I’d rather watch Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, even, which is a testament to how I feel about how bad Uncharted is.)

THERE.

Sorry, I had to get that out of my system. I honestly feel that Uncharted is by far the worst thing that Naughty Dog has ever done, and that includes Crash Bandicoot. It’s just robbing of their potential and they’ve become part of the action-adventure malaise, where you have one action adventure game that does nothing different to the rest. At my most cynical, I’d have to say that Uncharted is nothing more than Tomb Raider with a guy and a cover system.

And yeah, I played the original Uncharted to completion because it was Naughty Dog and I was hoping there’d be something of them in there. Some glimmer of brilliance. About the only thing I liked in the original Uncharted was the torch mechanics. And the second game was even more mind-numbingly boring than the first. I played about ten minutes of the third before realising that it was more of the same old shit.

It’s sad, really.

With Jak & Daxter they had something with personality, charm, verve, and charisma. They had an interesting world that wasn’t just the same old crap (the whole Eco balance thing was fascinating, as was how they handled Jak’s darker side), they were artistically interesting games, witty, and they had a lot going on in regards to the game mechanics. Thankfully at least High Impact Games continued on the legacy with Lost Frontier for a bit, but it’s a crying shame that Naughty Dog has been reduced to… this. *Gestures at Uncharted.*

I’m not the only one who feels that way about Uncharted, right?

I probably am, aren’t I?

:C

Regardless… I’d love to see them put the braindead nonsense that is Uncharted behind them, so that they’d actually do something genuinely interesting again.

17. Phoenixblight

One of the reasons why Jak and Daxter was so awesome is the writer from the Legacy of Kain series joined Naughty Dog for that project. Not sure if they could capture that again. Jak and Daxter was a fantastic series.

18. stretch215

@16 my friend, you are not alone. :)

19. Joe_Gamer

Jak and Daxter are freaking awesome, I’d buy it in a heartbeat.

20. ultramega

Your opinion became worthless after you spouted off this:

“I’m sorry to say this, but… Uncharted is just a particularly dull Indiana Jones rip-off featuring a man who’s racist and misogynistic to the point where it borders on clinical sociopathy”

Nice job ripping something straight from Zero Punctuation; something which is totally unsubstantiated. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it’s not worth anything when it’s a bunch of rambling without evidence.

—–

I love Jak and Daxter so much, and would love to see more games, but both franchises are equally great.

On a side note, I wonder if they’ll start working on Jak 4 as a launch title for the PS4.

21. G-Sama

“The last main entry in the series was racing title Jak X in 2005 for PS2″

haven’t they released a new entry in 2010 for ps2 ??

Edit:Nah,my bad :p…