THQ to publish The Witcher II 360 in the west

Thursday, 30th June 2011 11:33 GMT By Johnny Cullen

THQ’s announced that it’ll publish the Xbox 360 version of The Witcher II in the west.

The deal, done with CD Projekt via THQ Partners, will see the game be marketed and published by the company in western Europe, Australia & New Zealand and the Middle East.

“Adapting The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Xbox 360 is a massive endeavor for us, and we’re committed to delivering one of the most complex and mature games ever to Xbox 360 players,” said CD Projekt RED studio head Adam Badowski.

“We believe that with the marketing strength and distribution network of THQ we will be able to make the game an incredible success in Europe and around the world.”

THQ Partners VP Tim Walsh added: “We are excited to work with CD Projekt RED to bring this unique role-playing game to Xbox 360 gamers. THQ Partners’ mission is to work with world class game creators who want to bring their games to market utilizing THQ’s best-in-class global distribution channels.”

The PC version of The Witcher II, which launched back in May, was published at retail by Namco Bandai.

Read our impressions of the 360 version and our interview with the since-left producer of the game, Tomasz Gop, from E3 here.

1. Maximum Payne

If this game do not sell at least 1 mill on xbox I will kill them Master Chief for good!

2. Crab of Thunder

I thought this was a given.

Edit: Oh it’s the THQ part I should be looking at :P

3. Erthazus

It will sell for million, but with slow pace.

4. Blerk

I’m only surprised that Atari kept hold of the PC version.

5. Giskard

I’m surprised EA did not pick this up. They seem to have infinite money, and pick up almost every promising studio, except for Bungie, these days.

6. Maximum Payne

@5 They have Bioware for medival RPG :P

7. Christopher Jack

I would have expected EA.

8. YoungZer0

Gross. THQ so far has done a horrible job advertising european games.

9. DSB

If THQ can fuck up The Witcher 2, they’ll have proven that they can fuck anything up.

10. Christopher Jack

What’s with the THQ hate? I would have thought that they have proven them self as capable as anybody else with talented studios like Relic, Vigil & Volition while working with incredibly talented 3rd parties like 4A & Valhalla.

11. DSB

THQ can’t survive on Company of Heroes forever. They’ve gone downhill in a hurry.

Volition is a great company, but they’ve either lost or gotten rid of the rest of the people, who could actually deliver a strong profile for them.

There’s no Titan Quest, there’s no Supreme Commander, there’s no Company of Heroes. Relic threw away what they had in favor of trying to jump the arena RTS wave, and for the PC crowd, who were traditionally their biggest base, they’ve just chosen to brand us all thieves with Games for Windows Live.

Not to mention betting big on something as terrible as Homefront, which was so obviously not a great idea from the beginning.

Once you start pulling out something like the uDraw as one of your company’s major selling points, you’re in deep shit.

They’ve got a few console titles keeping them afloat, but that’s it. They’ve squandered most of the momentum they had just a few years ago.

12. Blerk

I dunno, I seem to be interested in more THQ games than ever before. In the past they were always “that company that makes wrestling games” and nothing else.

13. DSB

Blerk: Tagged for reprogramming at a party-approved facility.

I’m sure there’s a big difference between the PC crowd and the console crowd, but what games are those?

Darksiders is “alright”, but it’s so standard fare. Red Faction: Armageddon was pretty much snuck out the backdoor without much in the way of advertising. Dawn of War II has a cult audience, but I’m pretty sure I’m not the only fan of the original game who has fallen very much out of love with it.

The only thing I’m truly excited about is Saints Row 3, but that does look like an absolute megaton.

14. IL DUCE

@5 well that’s because Activision showed Bungie how to milk every penny they could from fans oh I mean “the monetization of multiplayer”

@10 4A games yes…and maybe they will be even more successful if they actually market their games this time, and Devil’s Third from Valhalla looks like it could be interesting but their first party studios games have seemed to be declining in quality…Darksiders was boring to me…just couldn’t get into it, Saints Row 3 is hopefully as good as SR2 and I have lost interest in Red Faction, and as for Relic, we will see how WH40K:SM turns out…

@DSB While reception for Homefront was mixed at best, it sold 1 million in its first week and had shipped over 2.5 million units as of early May so it wasn’t necessarily a bust sales wise…I thought the multiplayer was decent, the SP was not very interesting though…And I agree with the rest of what you said

I think this deal had been rumored anyway…THQ is starting to get a lot of deals like this…publishing Codemasters games in the US, and now The Witcher 2 in the West…

I think this game will easily sell 1-2 million as long as it looks relatively close (for consoles) to as good as it does on PC…and as long as THQ opens up their pockets and markets a bit and gets the word out it will be fine…

15. DSB

Oh I wasn’t saying they weren’t making their money back on Homefront, I was just saying it was a terrible game, and they obviously felt the same way, given that they fired everyone who worked on it outright.

If first person shooters hadn’t been selling like hotcakes these days, they would’ve been in trouble.

True about Space Marine, though. I’ll be interested to see how that turns out, even if the stuff they’ve shown has been less than stellar.

16. IL DUCE

@DSB very true…I was just pointing out it sold decently…I wonder if THQ Montreal will do any better with Homefront 2…

17. Maximum Payne

@16 Well they better be if they want to compete with BF/Cod…