Alan Smith replaces Gray as FIFA 12 colour commentator

Thursday, 30th June 2011 09:45 GMT By Johnny Cullen

EA has announced this morning that Sky Sports colour commentator Alan Smith will become the new co-commentator for FIFA 12 alongside his Sky colleague Martin Tyler.

Smith replaces ex-Sky Sports commentator and pundit Andy Gray, who was sacked from the company after sexist remarks earlier this year.

EA remained quiet at the time of his sacking over if he’d return for this year’s game. Here’s the answer; it’s no.

“The natural chemistry that Martin and I have developed working live matches for TV has transferred very well to the virtual broadcast booth,” said Smith.

“I’m really looking forward to FIFA fans hearing our work this fall as we bring all the match day emotion and excitement to this year’s game.”

A second commentary team that consists of Clive Tyldesley and Andy Townsend of ITV will call tournament matches in the game.

FIFA 12 releases on September 30 in Europe.

1. Joe Anderson

I think its awesome you can choose between the two commentary teams for any game. I still want the option of the foreign guys who screams Ggggoooooooaaaal though, he’s awesome.

2. GamezIdiot

Damn it, I was really hoping for that COMMENTARY ON|OFF|BIGOT option. :(

3. Bluebird

I always set the language to Spanish or Italian for that Gooooooooaaaaaal. :)

4. Razor

Waste of time putting Clive and Andy in the game, isn’t it?

No-one wants to listen to their drivel :)

5. Dean

> “as FIFA 12 colour commentator”

“co-commentator”? Unless “Big Ron” Atkinson is coming back to put his unique slant on commentary.

6. UuBuU

HOLY CRAP. They’re actually changing the commentary!? Maybe now I won’t hear the same old lame catchphrases or comments that were only relevant 4-5 years ago.

7. viralshag

Did you know you could be anywhere in the world and only have to mention “Manchester United” to get a conversation going…

Or some shit like that. That will not be missed by me and I hope to god it will be half decent.

8. aseddon130

Martin Tylers commentary is just so dire in Fifa games, i hope i can just put Clive Tyldesley and Andy Townsend on permanantely instead of that boring sod!

9. Space jockey pilot

totally agree Clive is much much much better than tyler!! what a boring cunt he is…