UK charts: Shadows misses top 30, Zumba still top

Monday, 27th June 2011 09:33 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Zumba FItness has still held on at the top of the UK charts, but Grasshopper and Shinji Mikami horror Shadows of the Damned has just barely missed the top 30.

Warner and Day One horror FEAR 3 entered the charts at three. The Grasshopper Manufacture title – published by EA Partners – didn’t do so well, entering at 31.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon was the other new entry at 17.

Duke’s been shunted down to eight, just ahead of Brink and Top Spin 4.

Full top ten for the week ending June 25 is below. Last week’s data is here.

1. Zumba Fitness
  2. LA Noire
  3. FEAR 3
  4. DiRT 3
  5. LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean
  6. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D Edition
  7. FIFA 11
  8. Duke Nukem Forever
  9. Brink
  10. Top Spin 4

1. AHA-Lambda

oh god that is gutting for sotd =s

2. mathare92

Shadows of the Damned enters at 31.
    Transformers dark of the who? enters at 17.

3. Blerk

Ouch. A sub-30 chart position at this time of year probably means it sold about 2000 copies.

That said, I watched the GameTrailers video review last week and it looks dire. But lots of people seem to really like it. I am confused. They should’ve done a demo.

4. viralshag

I was playing SotD pretty much all yesterday. I think it’s great. Some great one liners and it really doesn’t take itself too seriously. The weapons are fun their idea of hell is kinda cool.

I would go as far to say one of my favourite games this year…

5. aseddon130

its a shame that something that looks decent like Shadows Of The Damned didn’t sell many copies, but it doesn’t come as a suprise. The only thing that makes this good is that it’ll be £20 some time soon, but thats just me being a tightarse with my money.

FEAR3 suprises me, i never thought that was a particularly decent series in terms of popularity.

I better hurry up and finish Red Faction Armageddon and get it traded in, it’ll be in the same sub £20 category soon too.

6. Freek

Don’t know about the UK but here in The Netherlans SotD was sent to die. I had to look really really hard to get a hold of a copy. Non of the major retailers had any suply, one of them diden’t even know what it was (wasn’t in the computer).
    Luckely the local indy store had it.

Yes, it has some technical issues and lacks polish, but it’s completely crazy and funny.
    It’s a bitt like Resident Evil 4, but on drugs.

7. GamezIdiot

This just proves that games don’t sell, brands do.

8. neon6

Established brand > New IP

9. Bluebird

@7,8: And how does Zumba fit into that logic? :)

10. NeoSquall

I think that SotD isn’t selling well because 1. it’s too much niche and 2. a bit more “over the top” to be stocked in normal stores.
    Remember that Atlus choose to make an alternative cover for Catherine because stores like WalMart and Best Buy wouldn’t stock it otherwise.

11. TraceableX

SotD reminds me of Vanquish’s situation.

Japaneses didn’t get it? You need multiplayer for shooters like that to sell well!

12. viralshag

I really liked Vanquish too :D

13. Aimless

Given the amount of times I saw comments along the lines of, “Wait, that’s out this week?” I can’t say I’m surprised at SotD‘s reception. I’ve also seen mention that several stores, on an individual basis, aren’t even stocking it.

Frankly the content and quality of your game aren’t as important as people knowing it exists and being able to pick it up off the shelf. Case in point: Duke Nukem Forever.

14. Blerk

Aimless is quite right – there was no buzz, no previews, no marketing, no build-up… nothing. The same with Alice, it’s almost like EA gave up on them somewhere during development and decided to just push them out of the door without any fanfare.

And all this has proven is that no effort == no sales.

15. Aimless

@14 To be fair both are EA Partners games, not EA proper. I don’t think we’re really in a position to say if the onus was on EA to market the games — presumably those negotiations are held on a case by case basis — as I believe the programme is primarily about distribution.

I’m not saying it wouldn’t be in their interest to market games they distribute, merely pointing out that might not be part of the arrangement.

16. Freek

Atleast Alice is availebel at regular retail stores, you really have to hunt to find SotD.

17. AHA-Lambda

ouch jst browsed amazon and they have only one copy left on each system, something tells me thats not because it was popular.

damn i was thinking of getting this =/

18. DSB

That’s what happens when you launch at the end of the month. Seriously, what were they thinking? Were people just gonna save money so they could buy it on the 24th? Fuck that shit.

@3 Are you familiar with the stuff he’s done before? It always looks like crap, but it’s usually ten times more fun than it looks.

19. viralshag

@17, You should still get it. It’s a good game.

It does go to show that in order to achieve maximum sales you just need to shove marketing in the faces of everyone. It’s a shame this will probably not get the recognition (I think) it deserves.

20. IL DUCE

@19 you don’t have to “shove” marketing in people’s faces you just have to “market”…period…

These niche japanese influenced games (yes you can tell) just aren’t very successful anymore and that’s really it…not to mention I thought the game looked like shit anyway so even if its a good game, some people just aren’t going to even try it if it looks like shit…I rented Duke Nukem, and I’m enjoying it, it gets a lot more hate then it deserves…and people call it immature yet SotD is filled with non-stop penis references and cheap dick jokes according to every review so its not like its more mature material than DNF…people already had their silly shooter of the month, SotD came out a week or two too late…

21. Gama_888

Its a different generation of gamers. A lot of people who were playing shadow of the damned a few years ago have all left their controllers on the side.

i myself have not played it at all as i think it was kinda before my time :)

22. manamana

Zumba Fitness @1 … that says it all…

23. DuckOfDestiny

It’s the same with all Suda games. On paper they seem terrible, it’s not until you actually play them that you realise how fucking great they are.

24. GamezIdiot

@ 9

Zumba = Brand
    LA Noire = Rockstar = Brand
    Fear 3 = Brand, almost
    Dirt 3 = Colin McRae = Brand
    Lego Pirates = Lego = Brand
    Zelda 3DS = Zelda = Actually the only good game in the top ten. But also a BRAND.
    FIFA 11 = Brand
    DNF = Game
    Brink = Game, almost.
    Top Spin 4 = Dodgy Wimbledon cash-in… Brand.

Majority of people buy brands. Now that the market is open to all (thanks casual!) you’ve got to accept that the top 10 is irrelevant to us joystickers. Videogame charts are now like the music charts in the 80s. We’re very much in the Jason Donovan stage right now, when Top of the Pops was full of lip-synced Stock Aitken & Waterman designer BRAND bands instead of real musicians that came before.

25. DSB

How about we get to make up our own minds about that, instead of being forced to conscript into some groupthinking hive that represents certain stereotypical opinions on everything, GamezIdiot?

I think it’s pathetic to see people scrambling to declare themselves the “true gamers”, simply because more people enjoy games these days. What say we play what we want, and they play what they want, and there’s no reason why the two can’t be one and the same?

Obviously that attitude is common in music as well, but generally the community has more of a sense to take those people down a peg.

26. M. K.

I was already afraid of this. EA didn’t really make any advertising for it, no E3’10 or ’11 appearence, no demo, no previews etc.

The worst of all is, this game is great. Straight Action in RE4 style, great design, awesome humor.

27. Phoenixblight

EA is not supposed to advertise it they just manufacture and distribute it. All of EA partner games don’t get advertised its for the studio to do it if they have the money.

28. M. K.

Haha such nonsense :D

29. SwiftRanger

EA Partners is in most cases responsible for marketing as well. Seriously, get it out of your heads that Crytek, Valve and all the others paid for TV ads themselves. How on earth would you expect American McGee and Grasshopper to pay for a marketing campaign? It’s the publisher his job so the developer can, you know, develop the game…

It wouldn’t be the first time EAP botched a release, they’re experts at it and seem to never give any decent advice to developers. Armies of Exigo, Hellgate: London, APB, Shank, those were either games that never got the marketing they deserved or you could see that they weren’t good a long time before release.

30. ASBI

well it is not the first , won’t be the last

some could say that it doesnt have multiplayer so they buy it second hand

but LA Noire doesnt have that either

so whats the secret ?

31. Phoenixblight

You have proof of this I am calling it how I see. I have not seen a single game get promoted from EA Valve put their own money into it. They made the trailers and commericial’s in Hose and said so themselves. Bulletstorm was co produced by EPic so they have money to throw into marketing. EAP is not about marketing but about getting it published and distributing.

32. DSB

EA Partners isn’t a standardized package. They offer to distribute and market games for the parties that sign on. Whether they do both, or just distribution is up to the developer.

They handled distribution and marketing for Deathspank, but only distribution for Shank, for example.