OnLive said to be “chatting” with Microsoft, Sony

Monday, 27th June 2011 23:10 GMT By Andrew Groen

OnLive VP of Engineering Joe Bentley said in an interview that OnLive is “chatting” with Microsoft and Sony about OnLive’s cloud-based game delivery technology. It’s far from an announcement of a potential deal, but his comments are very interesting nonetheless.

“Our controller is a hybrid between a PS3 controller and an Xbox controller,” Bentley told CVG.

“It’s all compatible, it would just work. There are OnLive guys chatting [with Sony and MS], but we’ll see where it goes,” he added.

OnLive does seem to be exploring its options pretty vigorously. Just last week, Bentley said that Valve really likes OnLive, and that they’re in talks with them as well.

Bentley added that Valve and the console manufacturers see benefits in OnLive as a way to get their games onto mobiles devices like the iPhone and iPad without having to craft expensive ports.

While not a confirmation by any stretch of the imagination, it’s exciting to think about the potential ramifications of Microsoft or Sony teaming up with OnLive to deliver cloud gaming. Most companies are well aware that disc-based retail games are headed out the door, and OnLive’s technology could make for a compelling option for Microsoft or Sony.

1. Erthazus

I’m sure MS will buy it :D

2. DSB

Death to the discs!

*eyes record collection* Not you, you’re staying. Forever and ever and ever.

3. rrw

i can see how this interesting, you can play ps5 game using ps4

4. Gama_888

If one of those companies buys out onlive, its big.

It’ll put pressure on one of the others to back up Gaikai and the format war begins once again :)

5. Erthazus

No one will buy it. I’m sure these guys can make it’s own OnLive. + it’s not the nearest future until they will fix a majority of problems.
    Even console games that look ok are much better looking games then in OnLive.

6. Phoenixblight

Its all dependent on your internet crappier the bandwidth the crappier it looks. I have played a quite a few games on it and its really impressive with 30 MBps. Any company can buy it why develop your own company when you can buy another company out and improve upon that service?

Microsoft does this all the time, they did it with Kinect.

7. triggerhappy686

Yup this is probably the future. Although my isp throttles my bandwith from 12pm to 8pm if I go over a certain upload or download threshold… I would hate to have to fit my gaming around internet peak times :(

8. ultramega

And this is exactly why this won’t work for many, many years yet. The worldwide infrastructure is not there. And this is an utterly ridiculously idea because of that.

And btw, I prefer to own hard copies of my games. I mean, sure, there are downloadable titles I buy, but most of my games are on DVD/BluRay.

9. mojo

“While not a confirmation by any stretch of the imagination, it’s exciting to think about the potential ramifications of Microsoft or Sony teaming up with OnLive to deliver cloud gaming.”

exciting…
    yeah. massively.
    fuck off.

10. triggerhappy686

I like the idea of not having to have a console though. I only bought my PS3 2 years ago and i just recently upgraded to a 360 slim, so the thought of having to buy new next gen systems within the next couple of years does NOT turn me on :(

@ ultramega – I too like my media boxed and sitting on my shelf looking nice, thats why I buy collectors editions ;) but just like the consoles the boxes will soon become a thing of the past aswell :(