“An open world game needs to feel alive,” says Hitman devs

Tuesday, 21st June 2011 16:11 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Hitman: Absolution’s game director Tore Blystad and gameplay director Christian Eleverdam, have said that when it comes to an open world game, the atmosphere and non-playable characters need to “feel alive.”

Speaking in an interview with the PS Blog, the duo said that according to the game situation, characters in Hitman will do different things.

“An open world game needs to feel alive, so that’s what we’ve gone for here,” said Eleverdam. “The characters can do so many different things according to the situation. Along with the cinematic sequences, this has been the toughest thing for us to get right, hence us having to build our own brand new tool set and basically attack it from any angle.

“If you take out the guy that was supposed to turn on the lights in a room, it changes the situation completely. Every action, however small, has its own consequence.”

“We have a rookie cop character who has been called out with his colleagues to a library which Agent 47 is stalking round,” added Blystad. “This new guy is always getting told off by his sergeant, and you can actually distract him. He will go off and investigate before carrying on with his own little story. If you take a different path through the library, you can see his story unfold from a different perspective.

“This allows you to play with your morals – you can kill the rookie without a second thought, or isolate his sergeant and kill him instead, giving the new guy a bit of a break. We really wanted to include a lot of this kind of stuff. Imagine playing through this big, dark library without this and it’s just a normal stealth game. It loses a defining Hitman characteristic. Nothing else has that. Whichever way you play it, it should always be entertaining.”

Eleverdam also went on to say that the team thinks of a situation first, before devising the characters to “populate it,” because “variety is a good thing,” as it make the player think differently.

You can read the full interview through the link.

Hitman: Absolution is out in 2012 for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

1. Moonwalker1982

It really sounds very good, on Hitmanforum.com i see so much negativity and they only focus on the negative, while there’s plenty of positive things to look forward to as well.

2. CroMagnon

I always thought the point was not to kill anyone except your target, and even then make it look like an accident.

That’s how I play my stealth games (Hitman 2-4, Splinter Cell 1-4, Death to Spies) and I get annoyed when the game forces me to kill – see Splinter Cell Conviction & Velvet Assassin. Anyone can kill, it’s NOT killing that’s the challenge…

3. MadFingerz

Hope they make Agent 47 more agile this time around. To me he always looked and felt too stiff for a hitman.

4. Moonwalker1982

Yes but let’s face it, in Blood Money you couldn’t really get away without killing anyone, right? Unless i’m mistaken now.

5. Edo

#4 I think it was possible in Until Death Do Us Part mission….

6. PEYJ

The “soul” or “the right way to play it” of the series have always been about what CroMagnon said.

7. DSB

Really, the silliest thing anyone could say is that the old Hitman(s, men?) didn’t leave plenty of room for improvement. They were very far from perfection.

I very much welcome a new take with some better structure.

8. OrbitMonkey

@6 What a load of tosh! :D

I loved the fact that in Hitman: Blood Money I had multiple paths to complete my objective, often only limited by my own imagination.

From reading this, it would seem i’ll be getting more of that same creative death loveliness… Yum ;)

9. Maximum Payne

I just hope they don’t kill multiple paths in levels.

10. DSB

@8 That was always my problem with it. It has all these very specific ways of doing it, but they’re all hidden. There aren’t any hints, and that doesn’t make any sense at all.

The dude has a floorplan tucked into his computer, but it doesn’t say what the various rooms are? Seriously, what an amateur.

If I’m going to feel like an assassin, I need my assassin to at least have an idea of how he wants to accomplish his goal. Hiding all the good stuff for people to find is just a retarded way of making a game.

I thought the first one was a lot better at setting up the kills like that.

11. Moonwalker1982

As a hardcore Hitman fan i agree with you, but it never bothered me. It had me checking out the levels multiple times and trying things out, i loved that. What i find incredibly stupid is this Instinct mode in Absolution…you can actually see enemies through walls now…pleaaaaase…sigh. Good thing its optional.

Also they are not having David Bateson as his voice, i heard the voice of the new one and he sounds NOTHING like it, what a shame. But it won’t ruin the game, i just don’t get it.