Capcom hints at going back to roots with Resident Evil 6

Saturday, 11th June 2011 18:30 GMT By Debabrata Nath

Capcom has told Rely on Horror that it is aware fans prefer the traditional, horror-suspense gameplay of past Resident Evil games and it is looking to bring it back.

Speaking with the site during E3, a Capcom representative agreed that fans preferred the more horror-driven game, instead of the action-oriented turn the series has taken, and that fans will like the direction the development team is focusing on for the next Resident Evil game.

“We know that alot of fans want more horror back for the next one, the development team knows that as well and we read a lot of comments, messageboards, and ask for feedback, and there was a lot of critisism about RE5′s focus on action,” said the rep.

“I think that you’ll like the direction the dev team is shifting for the next one.”

Although, this statement doesn’t give away much, it’s safe to assume he meant that RE 6 might be returning to the series’ roots.

1. OrbitMonkey

Erm… Can I have the ability to move & shoot at the same time plz?

2. wishdokta

Capcom’s statement sounds promising. Let’s see what will be left of it.

3. Erthazus

Promising.

Promise

I heard this from Capcom hundred times that i don’t believe them anymore. Slant six Games this year makes Resident Evil game… that is already… meh…

4. Phoenixblight

well its barely in baby stage and you don’t have the original creators of the series so we will see what capcom does with it.

What do you think this is Gears of War? :D

5. Lewis247

Well, first off ZOMBIES. Plain and simple, throw some BOWs into the equation obviously but please capcom give us a bunch of zombies!!! Please don’t throw loads at us either, The gameplay style of the originals and 0 allowed for a controlled amount plus it was actually scary and intense. Please let this be the case in this..

Don’t give a stupidly big amount of weapons to carry at the one time.

PLEASE let us feel like we are actually defending ourselves rather than being on the offense all the time. Less on the action, keep it simple like in the originals.

Bring back door animations when going through them.. is it that big a task to bring back? I know they did it again in one of the dlc’s but was there any need to get rid of them?

Just mainly as I have said, Don’t let our characters turn into a one man army like in resi 5 and 4. Remember how in the original and 0, having a grenade launcher was a novelty and you had to think about what you were going to use the ammo on? Give scale back the amount of powerful weapons available and give us it like it worked back in the old ones.. never felt worried apart from the beginning the first time I played in 5 because later bigger, better weapons with an abundance of ammo was the norm.

Just… do it right please, capcom?

Oh and I hope they see operation racoon as a lesson because it has nothing to do with what makes a resident evil. Throwing zombies at us and classic locations was a complete cheap shot as everyone knows, ITS A FUCKING ACTION SHOOTER… Nothing like a resident evil.

*sigh* Atleast there is hope now they might just make it right.

6. Erthazus

“Oh my, they actually understand the criticism of re 5 AND they are actually taking advice from the fans this time!? OH YES!!!”

Same thing said producers of Resident Evil movies before.

7. _LarZen_

Would like that they moved away from action and over to horror again, but at the same time as they go back to the roots they have to get the series up to date.

Move and shoot is 1 thing they have to impliment if they want more then just the hardcore fans to like the game.

8. Stephany Nunneley

I know RE4 didn’t have zombies in it, but boy did it ever get my nerves rattled, esp when those guys would point and yell stuff at you. I’m surprised I didn’t have stroke a couple times I was so on edge with that game.

Still, take us back to something akin to the mansion, have stuff jump through windows at us while we are walking down the hall, and bring back the dobermans.

9. Suikoden Fan

I’d want move and shoot, i mean if a zombie is coming at you IRL your not gonna stand there and shoot at it, your gonna back off while shooting at it.

10. a7md1990

I’d be more than happy if they’d just remake Resident Evil 2!!! don’t you fellas agree?

11. LRB1983

RE4 and 5 are two pieces of shit XD. I hope they return to REmake-esque games or Code Veronica like with zombies, hunters, likers and Tyrants

If they want to make something different go back to Raccoon City and make some kind of sandbox with zombies.

Oh, yes and please ripoff Chris alla Markus from GOW3 dessign.

12. DuckOfDestiny

Translation: “We understand Dead Space was far superior to Resident Evil 5. Therefore for Resident Evil 6, we are going to rip-off every single thing about it.”

13. _LarZen_

@12 But that is a good thing… :)

14. Clupula

I don’t need zombies. Narrative-wise, the los plagas were fine. The door loading screens are an archaic relic of when games couldn’t stream and I don’t mind them being gone. Otherwise, I agree that we should feel like we’re defending ourselves, not like we’re Rambo.

Honestly, though, the series got VERY stale before RE4 saved it. When RE4 came out, I didn’t even care, because I figured it’d be another, “Oh, you have stupid tank controls, you’re fighting zombies, you’re in a lab at the end with a countdown, and you’re fighting Umbrella, like every other RE game.” Then I heard how different it was. Resident Evil 4 is my second favorite game of all time and if they could get it anything like that, I’d be happy. When I played the Lost in Nightmares DLC, I kept thinking, “THIS is what the game should’ve been like.”

RE6 should be a slower, scarier experience, with sparser ammo, but RE4 controls. If they’re allowing us to move and shoot, I want it to be because we’re running from something. Otherwise, it’s not necessary.

15. ItsRayLove

I understand people complaining about Resident Evil 5,it is a piece of crap and the worst PS3 game ever played.But seriously,Resident Evil 4?I think it is far superior the the first 3.Maybe it’s not that scary but the Regenerados scare the Shit out of me everytime I play the game.You can actually see the evil in the eyes of the village people(hehe)and their desire to rip of your sleesh and break every single of your bones!!!

16. ItsRayLove

And please bring back the door animations,just out of nostalgic reasons…and don’t let me run while shooting,that will destroy the singularity!!!

17. bugmenot

Such sweet memories of spinning on the spot before moving. Tank controls, how i pine for thee.

18. LOLshock94

they should make a game set in racoon city with RE4 gameplay then i will buy day 1

19. Maximum Payne

They should even add stealth element like to avoid zombie if you don’t have ammo to get on tension.Who played Penumbra series he will know that is great idea.

20. BluMag

Going back to roots like old man getting younger, dream people dream …
    There is no game had changed then coming back again .

21. Asterixx

Just needs some bloody atmosphere. With any horror games I can forgive minor flaws if it’s got a solid story and gives me plenty of scares.

22. KrazyKraut

yeah promising like the DS2 producer was:” Dead Space 2 will be scarier..”
    big fat lier!

23. Phoenixblight

That’s subjective. If you are a gamer who plays horror game it will be more and more difficult to get that same feeling you had previously. As for the Fear Effect in Dead Space 2 it did its job very well.

24. Maximum Payne

@23 Agree I remember how scared was when played first time FEAR 1.I would be so scared when fighting was over and knowing that Alma is going to pay me a visit.And like one year later I laugh at my self for what was I scared…

25. Phoenixblight

For Resident Evil 6, I would like them to capture the essence of horror like the RE 1-4 had done that doesn’t mean copy and paste those games that means I don’t want Combat to be the main focus of the game like it was RE 5. Thats not that hard to do, you make it so you are playing Joe Average and you limit the amount of weapons you can use and the ammo available for it. Just look how Dead Space was action based just tone down the combat thats all I ask you can even do the Co-Op that was a great idea but if you are doing that make the AI smarter than it was. I had to remove ammo from Sheeva so she wouldn’t use it all up and just let her do her own thing because I couldn’t rely on her for shit. Nemesis was the perfect example he would bust through the wall or door and the player had to run their asses away from it.

26. abola2121

Shinji Mikami or GTFO

27. Phoenixblight

Keep dreaming because he doesn’t work with Capcom anymore.

28. kezwar

@ 11

I’m so sick of idiotic comments like these from gimpy res fanboys. I’ll admit 5 was a bit disappointing, though to call it a ‘piece of shit’ is a tad harsh. To say it about four though, arguably the best game of last gen, easily the best game in the series, and undoubtedly one of the best games ever made. To call it a piece of shit due to your own personal preferences is just plain wrong. I agree that the series needs to go back to it’s roots to an extent, but personally I don’t wanna see it go all nostalgic and end up taking a step backwards. I’d like them to scrap the co-op, was never a good idea with a horror title, but I think they should remain with the action focus, as much as it might piss people like you off.

29. Blerk

So, which third-rate US hack-team are they farming this one out to, then?

30. Avatar226

i just really hope in the end they listen to us fans….

31. Espers

AT LAAAAAAAAASSSSSST MAYBE THAT FAGGOT MOVIE DIRECTOR WILL DO THE SAME AS CAPCOM GO BACK TO ROOTS … NO ALICE AND GIVE UMBRELLA SOME BALLS NOT MAKING FEMALES STRONGER THAN SUPERMAN AND A BIO-WEAPON LOOK SISSY FACING MILLA JOVOVICH AND HER LESBO FRIENDS

AND PLEASE NAME IT RESIDENT EVIL 4 BECAUSE FOR ME THE SERIES TIME LINE STOPPED AT BIOHAZARD 3 NEMISIS

32. Phoenixblight

Stop trolling and using caps and no Paul ANderson won’t remove ALice after all its his Wife.

33. Espers

@32 A TROLL IS BETTER THAN A ZEPPLIN LIKE YOU AND IF PAUL ANDERSON LIKES HIS NO ASSETS WIFY HE COULD NAME THE MOVIE ” MY MIGHTY WIFE” AND NOT RESIDENT EVIL !!

34. henryp959

Haha gimpy res fanboys… You sir have no appreciation for horror and suspense. If you can’t appreciate the psychological elements of RE, that were sacrificed in the name of action, than you are a moron. RE 5 was complete trash. Anyone that says otherwise is a beginner, little kid, or simply too uncoordinated to pick up on the sometimes tricky control scheme of the classics (1,2,3 and 0). You can blast the heads off of things in PLENTY of games. The fact that anyone would suggest that it is an acceptable successor to some of the eeriest games of all time is nothing short of offensive to me. It was an ok try but the feel and cinematic style of older RE can only be captured within fixed camera angles, difficult(and sometimes frustrating) controls, no crosshair, VERY limited ammo, very limited health, and an all around feeling of survival horror. The feeling of helplessness has been achieved in very few horror titles over the years and it pains me to see such an amazing format fall by the wayside for technical improvements and fully interactive environments. I prey for RE 6 to bring back what I truly love about the series. That means no over the shoulder, no laser sites, no zombie hordes, and no open world environments. For me nostalgia has nothing to do with it. The first RE I played was 4 and my personal favorite is the RE 1 remake on the cube.

35. henryp959

And yes I would pay a lot of money to see re2 remade. The GC port didn’t do it justice(considering 0 and 1 remake look so unbelievably good) Code veronica is going to be remade in HD!!