Halo Anniversary to run two engines side by side

Friday, 10th June 2011 05:32 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Halo Anniversary will allow players to switch back and forth between classic and updated graphics in real time, because the game is essentially running two engines simultaneously.

Executive producer Dan Ayoub IndustryGamers that Anniversary will feature a “classic mode”, accessible via a controller button.

To achieve this, 343 have the game’s original engine powering the gameplay, with a second one, created in collaboration with Saber Interactive, running on top to make everything beautiful.

Making this work is said to have been a “tricky process”. You think?

In not building a completely new engine, 343 is sticking to Frank O’Connor’s vow that the new Halo developer will “never try to replicate what Bungie did”, and will “never ignore the roots and foundation of what makes Halo successful.”

Halo Anniversary is due in November on Xbox 360. Halo 4 will follow in 2012; it’s said to start a “new trilogy” for the series.

1. unacomn

Like the Monkey Island remakes? That’s nice.

2. onlineatron

I heard that they basically have all the original Halo: CE code in there, so it plays like the original did, and not like it’s successors.

I wonder if they’ve altered the pistol?

I’ve also heard that the multiplayer portion will be Reach’s multiplayer with Combat Evolved’s maps; Reach players will also be able to download those maps, separate from this remake.

At least I think that’s what I heard, on the Giant Bombcast.

(“I heard you have a compilation of every good song ever done by anybody. Every great song by the Beach Boys. All the underground hits. All the Modern Lovers tracks. I heard you have a vinyl of every Niagra record on German import. I heard that you have a white label of every seminal Detroit techno hit – 1985, ’86, ’87. I heard that you have a CD compilation of every good ’60s cut and another box set from the ’70s.”)

3. Blerk

I know bugger all about Halo, but I read a bit of an interview the other day where they said the pistol would be ‘as it was’. Whatever that means. :-D

4. onlineatron

It means ‘oh hells yeah’ ;)

5. Blerk

However, on the flip side apparently the Library will still be shit. :-D

6. onlineatron

7. Bloodyghost

The Library wasn’t shit it was just very annoying and a really long and repititive level since you had these new flood creatures now in packs swarming the fuck out of you.

I remember, playing Co-op that is, me and my brother found a flood were we blew off his arms and he couldn’t attack us yet the AI told him to charge at as so he ended up following us the who way through.

Good times….

I have to buy this game with my bro’s again. Need the nostalgia.

8. Dr.Ghettoblaster

AWESOME NEWS!!!!

Like Tecmo Bowl Throwback:

If you haven’t played it, watch between 0:10 and 0:18 to see how it switches graphics on the fly real time with a smooth transition.