Yoshida: Sony ‘comfortable’ with NGP price point

Monday, 6th June 2011 00:13 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Sony’s Shuhei Yoshida has said he’s confident the NGP’s price won’t seem unreasonable to gamers, and reiterated that the portable has no direct competition.

“I feel very comfortably that we are going to be hitting it,” Yoshida told Kotaku, speaking of the NGP’s unannounced price point, which the company set internally even before beginning development of the system.

“We definitely consider this is the price that it has to be for people to even consider purchasing it.”

Yoshida said the price is digestible even though “gaming portable devices may not be something people feel like they need”.

The announcement of the PSP’s launch price of $249 in 2004 was met with something approaching horror at the time, a lesson Sony seems to have taken to heart in its price-first approach to creating the new hardware.

Nevertheless, the new console will face more competition than its precursor – something Yoshida denies.

“We are not directly competing with these systems,” he protested. “We have to really create the reason for people to look at the NGP and say, ‘This is what I want.’

“There are more and more options people have now for devices to play games on.”

Speaking of competitors, Sony’s announcement of the NGP may have taken some of the wind out of the 3DS hype machine, and the humbler portable has failed to catch on as strongly as expected.

“We have been watching closely the reaction of other people to the 3DS,” Yoshida said, adding that he doubted a declining market for portable consoles was the soul cause of the 3DS’s surprisingly modest performance.

“I think there are a combination of things. It could have been the line-up of titles. It could have been about the 3D stereoscopic capabilities. It could be about many other things.”

“I was a bit surprised about how (the 3DS) is doing,” he added.

The NGP will be fully revealed at Sony’s event on Monday – 12:30pm PST, 3:30pm EST, 8:30pm BST, 9:30pm CET, 5:30am AEST – with the console’s final name and pricing details expected.

1. onlineatron

I look at that quote and my stomach turns.

If I have to endure more Sony idiocy with a product I’m legitimately excited for, I think I’ll break!

Let’s hope the pricing is reasonable.

2. onlineatron

Although, Yoshida’s understanding that a lot of people don’t see the need for a gaming handheld, eases my nerves a tad.

3. ninjanutta

300 pounds or dollars im betting.Sony dont do reasonable when it comes to pricing their stuff,that goes for tv,gaming,dvd,everything.

4. DSB

@1 It does kinda remind you of the time leading up to the PS3, doesn’t it?

I don’t think the 3DS is a strong competitor on paper, but that’s me talking as a gamer. There’s no telling what the parents and tweens of the world are going to make of it.

Personally, if I was investing my money, I wouldn’t like a guy thinking he could somehow pick and choose who to compete with. The sheer fact is that while the NGP might stand out from the iPads and DS’s of the world, it’s going to be competing with all of those at the end of the day, either directly or indirectly.

People only have a certain ammount of money they’re willing to spend on gadgets. You’d better make sure you can compete with most of them.

5. Gama_888

i dont like the sound of that :-/

6. The_Red

Sony initially comes out at PS3 at 500-600 bucks and its sales are seriously hurt because of it. PSP comes out at 250 and its sale are hurt the same. A few years later PSP Go comes out priced at 250 and the same thing happens again.

Sony hasn’t been really good at learning lessons from their pricing methods this gen. Hopefully NGP breaks the trend and is lower than 300 (Likes of Pachter are predicting 350 to 400 minimum!).

7. ultramega

I’m sure it’ll be at least $300. The technology inside of it is too good for anything lower, and they’ve said they don’t want to sell it at a loss.

8. Clownbabyalbino666

Well, Pachter predicting $350-400 makes me think they’ll be smart and price it cheaper, as the man is never, ever right about anything. That said, if the broken clock rule applies and he is right, then I can’t see this doing anything but flopping.

9. KrazyKraut

299 € would be the price I would pay…..not more.

Paid 333 € for my imported, japanese PSP when it wasnt really published in Germany…and I was happy. And I hope it comes with the same accessoirs like my first PSP did. Bought PSP 3k and PSPgo some weeks ago and not even headphones were included….

10. Gekidami

Seeing as Apple have since came along and apparently made selling a portable device at 600 more than acceptable, i dont see why Sony would sell this at any less than 300, at the least.

“Sony initially comes out at PS3 at 500-600 bucks and its sales are seriously hurt because of it.”

Oh, maybe. But it didnt stop the PS3 from outselling the much cheaper 360 its first year, at 600. So it definitely wasnt putting people off the system that much.