PlayStation Store returns worldwide with massive update

Thursday, 2nd June 2011 06:06 GMT By Johnny Cullen

The PlayStation Store has started returning worldwide, Sony has announced this morning, with an enormous content-publish going live to welcome its return.

The EU PS Blog hasn’t gone up with the news yet, but the US Blog has the massive list of content you can get now.

Part of the update includes full games such as Sega Rally Online, Outland, Under Siege and Back to the Future: Episode 3, to name a few.

Demos of Red Faction: Armageddon and Motorstorm Apocalypse are now also available.

Fallout: New Vegas DLC Honest Hearts, Crysis 2 map pack Retaliation and tons of Rock Band songs and packs are part of the DLC update.

Content that forms part of the Welcome Back pack – such as free PS3 titles inFamous or LittleBigPlanet, or PSP games like Killzone Liberation – is not yet live, but is currently going through the final stages of testing.

The Video Store is also back up, albeit going through teething troubles. But its return now means you can finally buy Disney’s Tron Legacy, which launched the week PSN went down.

The next store update after today, for both PS Plus and standard users, is scheduled for tomorrow.

Sony promised full restoration for PS Store by the end of the week on Tuesday.

The PlayStation Store went down with PlayStation Network on April 19 due to an external hack. The company confirmed that personal data was compromised in the attack, but there was no evidence to suggest that credit card details were also taken.

PSN partially returned last month in most regions bar some countries in Asia, including Japan. The service only returned in Asian countries last weekend, but will not get the Store today.

Sony says the non-return in Japan is due to complying with instructions on information security from the Japanese government.

1. onlineatron

Boosh.

2. Mike

well done Sony.

3. zacubivn

great Sony
    thi truong bat dong san

4. KAP

Ive just downloaded streets of rage 2 from PS+ for free… FUCKIN CLASSIC!!!!

5. McLovin85

@4 KAP do you know if we’ll end up being able to keep the stuff that we download for that free month of ps+? is that streets of rage 2 yours forever? I’m definitely getting that either way too!!

6. Christopher Jack

When is the PlayStation Welcome Back shit arriving? I’m still a regular member.

7. Gekidami

Says “An error has occurred” for me. I guess its not up everywhere in Europe yet.

8. Johnny Cullen

It said that once for me. Tried again and I was in. It does that. Keep trying.

9. Christopher Jack

It’s being bombarded with users looking for their free stuff, you can access it but you’ll have to try several times.

10. Gekidami

Yeah, it worked the second time, though that error message keeps randomly flashing up. Still, hasnt stopped me from grabbing everything.

11. Christopher Jack

Yeah, I grabbed the InFamous, Red Faction & Lego Pirates demos.

12. Heinekeno

I don`t use any Sony products. They are overpriced and just over-hyped anyway.

13. StolenGlory

Wow, troll much? Or do you just have fetish for forum bans?

14. Blerk

Don’t let Outland pass you by in the deluge, PSNers – it’s pretty cool!

15. Heinekeno

No and again no. I am individual who has his rights.

16. Aimless

@14 Alternatively: let it pass you by until the Welcome Back Plus memberships have been activated, then buy the game at a discount.

17. Blerk

That too. I keep forgetting that you don’t automatically get demos for every game on PSN.

18. Christopher Jack

@12, Sony products are normally pretty high quality, if I saw a Sony product at a similar price to their competitor, I’d normally choose the Sony product. Don’t let corporate loyalty cloud your judgment, it’s not worth it & quite frankly childish.

19. BraveArse

^what I dont understand is where they all come from and what fuels the need to head “into battle” against whatever corporation is the enemy of their favourite corporation. Corporate loyalty is just something I will never understand til the day I die. Or are they all just one furious ubernerd who keeps on getting banned? Can I request an editorial piece on the fanboy Pat? I’d love to see one…

Anyway, back OT, its a bit slow, but nice to see it back online. Tempted to get Under Siege actually. Anyone know if it’s any good?

20. Aimless

@17 Oh, there’s a demo. I was just making the peons aware of the opportunity to save a few quid.

21. Blerk

In which case try the demo and then wait! If you can. Or something.

Regardless, give it a try. It’s nice. :-)

22. Gekidami

Yeah, its not about the demo, Plus members can get it for 7€ (no idea in $ or £) cheaper.

23. Christopher Jack

@19, Most of Sony is bending to the will of their consumers, just look at this service that Sony Music launched here in Australia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandit.fm . Basic MP3 files with no encryptions or restrictions of any kind! Screw iTunes, I really hope it finds some success & spreads to the rest of the world. I’d like to see this kind of service spread to other parts of the entertainment industry, I hate being restricted to a service, even Steam bugs me from time to time because it’s occasionally slow &/or buggy.

24. NeoSquall

It’s still a bit glitchy, but at least it’s online now.

I think it’ll take a day or two to work at full force, unless some crackpot head hacker wills otherwise…

25. PS3Dreamer

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26. frostquake

The USA PSN Store is Up but extremely Buggy and Glitchy, and along with Tons of people trying to sign in, you are going to get tons of Errors!!

If you keep trying you will get through the Errors, but the Errors will keep popping like Popcorn, or you can Wait.

I downloaded the Infamous 2 Demo and the Motorstorm Apocalypse demo, and some Dynamic Themes…and that is in the AM..so I figure it will be SLAMMED for the next few days!!

27. PS3Dreamer

1 to millions of people try download at the same time causing problems errors. Dam it people get of and let me download, just kidding

28. Moonwalker1982

Infamous 2 demo too!!!!! I was gonna wait and go in fresh when the full game comes out, but i can’t resist this.

29. bluffbluff03

Yeah Sony, well done, you needed nearly six weeks to relaunch a service that was attacked by one silly hacker … at all … it doesn´t make sense to judge Sony for that anymore. But this “massiv update” is nothing but the contents that were released during the PSN outage. That is nothing great, that is something I expected! The EU PSN Store is not the biggest one: not so many demos and not every arcade-game get a trial version like on the Xbox. But I nervertheless glad to see it comming back.

30. Clownbabyalbino666

The update was almost overwhelming, there was so much on it. And from what I read on their blog, they’re updating AGAIN on Friday!

31. Robbins

im on it right now, but I can’t find the welcome back gift

32. StolenGlory

The welcome back gifts aren’t available yet.

33. OlderGamer

Going to wait till the dust settles. Nothing there I can’t live without for a couple weeks longer at this point.

34. ManuOtaku

The firs thing i will pick up is the L.A Noire DLC, the welcome back package can wait, L.A noire DLC dont.

35. Gama_888

have they said when it will be available?

Burnout Paradise is on Ps+ Atm and i realllyy wanna get to it.
    theres some great stuff on ps+

36. Bluebird

“Update on the Welcome Back offer content: it is in the final stages of testing and will be available to download very soon.”

37. poopoofruits

@12 You’re kidding right, please tell me.