Sony head not informed of 2008 PSN hacks

Friday, 27th May 2011 06:44 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Sony chief Sir Howard Stringer has said he wasn’t even aware of past attacks on the PlayStation Network.

Bloomberg reports Stringer didn’t have any knowledge of an attack on the PSN three years ago, during which European account holders’ personal information may have been compromised, or another in which the developer network was breached by a London teen.

Speaking of the attacks of mid-April, thanks to which the PlayStation Store is still offline, Stringer said Sony didn’t realise how serious the attack was at first.

Although Sony has been adamant that it had reasonable security in place, Stringer did say Sony just plain weren’t expecting hacker activity.

“We have a network that gave people services free,” he said.

“It didn’t seem like the likeliest place for an attack.”

Sony has assembled a Welcome Back package in reparation to consumers, including free identity theft protection for US citizens. The attacks and consequences are estimated to cost Sony around £106 million.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. TheWulf

See… stuff like this really impacts very negatively on my opinion of Sony. If they could be big enough to admit they dropped the ball and really screwed up (which they totally did), then I’d think so much more highly of them. This just seems… childish? :|

This sentence especially comes off as immature: “I really don’t think I could apologize for not knowing. It’s a whole new experience for everybody at this scale,” he said.

The way that sentence reads it sounds like he’s actually saying ‘should’ instead of ‘could,’ as in “I don’t see why I should apologise! Wun’t my fault. So there!”

And I just can’t think very highly of that. The magnitude of this screw-up… of course should be apologising. Kaz at least made an attempt, after all, even if he too tried to waive responsibility. But this is just sad.

And the PlayStation Store and SOE are not at all about money, then? Since that’s what got hacked, more specifically than the PSN itself. The information that was retrieved was pulled from the store and SOE. 2.2 million credit card details in all.

You know, there was a funny comment made in an IRC I frequent the other night: And apparently it was from a black hat IRC that someone there frequents, and they shared this quote, which I found funny because of how truthful it is. ” I’m worried that Sony’s incompetence is going to massively devalue credit card databases as a whole.”

Really… Sony had no security, they had data that could be stolen, so of course a bunch of black hat fraudsters are going to have a go. What were they expecting? @_@

I wish Sony would just have some dignity and fess up. It’s getting embarrassing.

2. OrbitMonkey

@1 Basic math tells us that 2 negatives make a positive…. So as this story has had a negative impact on your already stated negative view of Sony, you now must actually think of them more positively…. Math is fun!!

To be fair though, Mr Stringer shut up plz. The whole “I didn’t know”, “Why would they hack a free service?”, “No one could have expected this!” Makes Sony sound at best naive & at worst incompetant.

3. DeathJynx

Really Brenna, stop poisoning your own community… can’t we just stick more to news ABOUT games… I am getting seriously sick of these troll feeding tabloids. Lets try to move on and put this tired story in the past.

4. OrbitMonkey

@3 Are you seriously suggesting Brenna should not report remarks made by the Chief of possibly the most influential gaming compay in the world, about a attack on services that affected millions of gamers, because you feel its not “games related”?

Seriously?

5. mojo

” Stringer didn’t have any knowledge of an attack on the PSN three years ago”
    “It didn’t seem like the likeliest place for an attack.”

words fail to describe my oO-ness

headless chicken is headless

6. DaMan

Sony aren’t the most influential gaming company for a few years already. js.

7. OrbitMonkey

@6 Hence the “possibly” ;)

8. DSB

Regardless of how you feel about either console, I don’t think you can help to be amazed by how poorly Sony put their system together in terms of making sure that their customers weren’t robbed wholesale.

I thought Gawker was pretty bad, but this sets the bar.

The fact that the guy seems to be totally clueless as to the fact that you might want to protect peoples information no matter how free your base service is, takes the cake.

9. NeoSquall

The old fart needs retirement even more than Ballmer.

On the other end, right now Microsoft is training the next GeoHot (the 14yrs kid who hacked them last week), feeding him the PS4 designs they secretly gained by a mole inside Sony.

Hint about the mole: it’s Marcus.

10. NightCrawler1970

@9, agreed, what kind of chief CEO are ya, if you don’t know about the attack from 3 years ago.. that old cracker need in assisted living facility….and put Jack on charge..