Kojima: No MGS5 at E3, NGP project isn’t MGS4 port

Friday, 27th May 2011 13:50 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Hideo Kojima has dashed all hope of a Metal Gear Solid 5 reveal at E3, saying it won’t be in LA in a week-and-a-half’s time.

Speaking on the Japanese version of The Kojima Productions Report, Kojima insisted that MGS5 won’t be announced in any shape or form on the week of June 6.

Neither will be Metal Gear Solid 4 for NGP: he added that his project for Sony’s next-gen handheld wasn’t a port of Guns of the Patriots.

He also won’t be at Microsoft’s E3 event, unlike the past two years for Rising, and that Kojima Productions is planning big stuff for Metal Gear’s 25th anniversary next year.

Kojima Productions has already confirmed that surprises are inbound from Konami’s pre-E3 event this Thursday. Rising and MGS3DS are all likely to be there, with the NGP project to be unveiled at E3.

A PS3 version of Peace Walker is pretty much in the bag by the looks of it, but Zone of the Enders 3 and Metal Gear Solid Collection announcements have now gotten more likely.

Thanks, Andriasang.

1. StolenGlory

Well you know what, the mere confirmation that the NGP project is more than just a tech demo, counts as a big ass silver lining in my book in the wake of the MGS5 E3 no-show.

2. StolenGlory

“…Zone of the Enders 3 and Metal Gear Solid Collection announcements have now gotten more likely.”

I would certainly say the latter being more likely than the former.

3. Moonwalker1982

Who was expecting MGS5 anyway? And didn’t Kojima quit with MGS and gave it to his team?

4. Strandli

Wasn’t Peace Walker MGS5 in Kojima’s mind anyway?

5. Erthazus

He didn’t quit Metal Gear Solid.

MGS5 is the inevitable Ps4 launch title i’m sure.

Also, by the looks of it. Kojima have nothing to announce. Absolutely nothing.

New ip on NGP? Probably just a Peace Walker on the NGP.

@4, yeah, true, but who ever played MGS Peace Walker know that MGS 5 is coming. There are some hints.

6. StolenGlory

Lots of things that exist in Kojima’s fragile mind have tenuous or no link to reality :)

But yeah, I remember the quote he made.

7. MegaGeek1

@5 – You really think the NGP project is going to be Peace Walker!?! Really!?!!

Did I just get baited, or is this guy just a complete twat?

8. Erthazus

@7, then what it is? Tell me, genius.

9. Johnny Cullen

In fairness, Peace Walker NGP wouldn’t be entirely out of the question. There’s been a lot of speculation on that as well, just not as much as the PS3 version.

10. MegaGeek1

I dont know what it will be, no one does. But why the fuck would it be a year old game that came out on a past generation system? Answer that genius. Thats like launching the PS3 with God of War 1. What sense does that make?

11. Erthazus

@10 for the same reason Peace Walker in HD is coming to PS3 with Monster Hunter 3rd

12. MegaGeek1

Thats a little different, but I guess it true. I would still bet money that it wont be Peace Walker.

13. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I think NGP is worthy of a brand new MGS game, not a port. THAT would surely get people excited and on board.

14. Erthazus

I’m not sayng that 100% it is Peace Walker. I want it to be something different.

But for now, Kojima Productions have a lot of stuff like
    MGS: Rising
    MGS:3DS
    Peace Walker in HD for PS3.

NGP does not have a huge install base to make a portable AAA title for it.

15. NeoSquall

@3 Kojima has said he’d quit with Solid Snake, not with the Metal Gear franchise.

“As Kojima has said in the past, MGS4 is going to be the last adventure for Solid Snake, and most likely the last in the franchise that he’ll direct.”

“As long as there’s a game called MGS5 and it’s a game where you sneak around, it doesn’t have to be Solid Snake, right? I’d like that to be created by the younger developers,” he said. “To put it another way, Solid Snake is one character that I don’t want to entrust to other people.”

16. OrbitMonkey

A Metal Gear trilogy for ps3 & NGP?

17. StolenGlory

I dunno JC, trying to push three different versions of the same game across three different formats with what would only likely be the most minimal of upgrades between them all (HD graphics not withstanding), would be taking things a little too far.

On the other hand that hasn’t stopped Ninty for years so… :)

18. NeoSquall

@17 You know what? I think that the entire PSP Remaster series should be seen as a preparation for a new kind of cross-platform games between Sony hardwares.

I think Sony must have thought about a new kind of “minis” to be used on both PS3 and NGP, this time using PSP games which can be played on both consoles.

19. a7md1990

I hope they announce a trophies patch for MGS4…!!